• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
sooooooo, I think I got a2sd working.. but how do I check and if it is indeed working should I uninstall everything and reinstall it all?

If you go to Settings->SD Card & Phone Storage, you should see 3 sections: SD Card (The FAT portion of the card), SD Card Secondary (EXT3 partition) and Internal phone storage.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm running WW and it may be diffferent in EE.

Upvote 0
So does this mean it didn't work?

Attachments

• devicesettings.png
    devicesettings.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
If you go to Settings->SD Card & Phone Storage, you should see 3 sections: SD Card (The FAT portion of the card), SD Card Secondary (EXT3 partition) and Internal phone storage.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm running WW and it may be diffferent in EE.

It is ROM specific when it comes to what shows and what doesn't.

Unfortunately, EE3.0 does not offer this information. The best way to check is to see how much available space you have under Internal Phone Storage. If it is over 100 Mb, then it is running as it should. If it is close, but still under 100 Mb then you may need to clear out some of your cache.

Upvote 0
If don't have tons of downloaded apps and I delete all junk apps that came with the phone I don't need apps2sd, do I?
I don;t think in the long term using a flimsy SD card as a HD or RAM of your computer is a very good idea.
If want to achieve high reliability and good speed with apps2SD you should be using high-end, hugh seep SD cards only
Just my 2c worth
Peter

Upvote 0
If don't have tons of downloaded apps and I delete all junk apps that came with the phone I don't need apps2sd, do I?
I don;t think in the long term using a flimsy SD card as a HD or RAM of your computer is a very good idea.
If want to achieve high reliability and good speed with apps2SD you should be using high-end, hugh seep SD cards only
Just my 2c worth
Peter

I view it more like having one hard drive on a computer for the OS and another drive for software and storage. Either drive could fail at any time and backups are always a good idea, but you can always upgrade your second hard drive.

Right now, I am using the stock 8gb card that came with my phone and I have plenty of speed as well as space for apps. I will admit to being a bit of an app whore now that I have all this room though. I currently have 64 3rd party apps taking up 186.54 Mb of space. on my phone. I am clearing cache every so often, but it is all stored in internal memory of which I have 145 Mb of at the moment.

Upvote 0
I view it more like having one hard drive on a computer for the OS and another drive for software and storage. Either drive could fail at any time and backups are always a good idea, but you can always upgrade your second hard drive.

Right now, I am using the stock 8gb card that came with my phone and I have plenty of speed as well as space for apps. I will admit to being a bit of an app whore now that I have all this room though. I currently have 64 3rd party apps taking up 186.54 Mb of space. on my phone. I am clearing cache every so often, but it is all stored in internal memory of which I have 145 Mb of at the moment.

OTD, your analogy is correct with some caveat. SSDHDs used in laptos are still lag behind HDs in speed and MTBF. And those chips in SSHDs are made to perform, that's why it is still expensive. SD cards are made basically for archieving, although they are getting better, no question about it.

I don't now if you can configure apps2SD so it keeps its temporary files and program caches of thr phones internal memory - that would be a diffesent story.

I would not use the term of "app whore", neither "app hog" in relation to you. I think you are an app Queen ;)

Peter

Upvote 0
OTD, your analogy is correct with some caveat. SSDHDs used in laptos are still lag behind HDs in speed and MTBF. And those chips in SSHDs are made to perform, that's why it is still expensive. SD cards are made basically for archieving, although they are getting better, no question about it.

I don't now if you can configure apps2SD so it keeps its temporary files and program caches of thr phones internal memory - that would be a diffesent story.

I would not use the term of "app whore", neither "app hog" in relation to you. I think you are an app Queen ;)

Peter

LOL

I completely understand what you are saying about the speeds and an SD card can't come close to competing with real HD or even real flash memory. What I am saying is that I am not experiencing any sort of real lag using a2sd over the internal memory on the phone. Apps may take a quarter or even half second longer to load than what they would off of internal memory, but it isn't anything that is a real problem. I actually think you can set the SD card cache to stay on the phones internal storage, although I can't remember if it is said to make things slower or not.

Reactions: Peter123
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones