• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is music stored? ringtones? other docs?

Where does Android expect a user to store their data?

My SD card is a jumble of directories created by all the apps that have ever been in my phone. I have no idea what most of them are for. Why isn't there some kind of directory structure in use here?
/AppData
/UserData
/SDCard/AppData
/SDCard/AppData/MyBackupPro
/SDCard/UserData
/SDCard/UserData/AppStorage
/SDCard/UserData/AppStorage/MyBackupPro
/SDCard/UserData/Music
/SDCard/UserData/Ringtones
/SDCard/UserData/Downloads

...etc

I try to keep my personal stuff (music, wallpaper, photos) all under a "MyData" directoryon the SDCard, but then some apps can't find it - such as the album art downloader that I'm trying to run now.

Hi all, I am new here and wanted to add to this topic. I have just started copying music to my Android (HTC Inspire) and I am not sure I am doing it correctly. The files are on our computer in m4a file format. I just opened my Android on my PC as an external USB drive and created a folder on the root called Music and copied the music there. Do I have to create the folder under SDCARD? I don't see a folder call sdcard?! Can it go on the root? Also, how does Android organize bands albums, etc? Do I have to create the band and then the folder for each album? Not sure about the folder structure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones