• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Android phone should I get?

I'm looking to get a new Android phone. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 which I love but would love to play with Froyo. I've previously had the Sprint Hero, European Hero, Nexus 1, and the Droid Incredible... I'm looking to get an Android phone that I can stick with and won't be dissatisfied with and it looks like Froyo will aide in this significantly. I'm looking for a FAST phone with the highest res screen I can find on an droid phone to use with Froyo... Any suggestions?

honestly, i'd get or wait either for the motorola droid, droid 2, or droid x. they seem to be the most popular ones that get all the custom ROMs. with my motorola droid, i was overclocking to 1.2GHz making it very fast and no lag at all.

only reason i'm switching to iphone 4 is because i wont have to pay for the bill. but personally, iphone 4 is a good alternative to android phones. i like the HTC Incredible too

Upvote 0
Droid X eh? It's just soooo freaking big. :-( And honestly with the way the App Market is layed out I'm kind of afraid to get a large high rest screen like that because either 1) It will be hard to actually find apps/games that support the high res or larger screen or 2) With so many different Android phones out there, the developers of the quality apps won't take the time to update their apps for the bigger screen real estate or higher res... In both cases I'm stuck with a fugly home screen because I have to use widgets that aren't optimized for my device... same for non-widget apps or games. I'm not getting rid of my iPhone, this would just be a second phone to play with but I still want the best experience possible.

Upvote 0
yeah lol i said the same thing about the droid x. i really don't want a 4.3 in screen. it's too damn big man, gonna show a big print in ur pockets while walking.

as far as the apps, i didn't know that apps had to be designed to fit a screen. i just thought they blew up to automatically fit somehow, lol. i won't lie though, i've been through iPhone 3G, 3Gs, Palm Pre, and Motorola Droid. I've gotten rid of the iphones because i got bored of the interface. android is definitely an interesting interface, however, i like the iphone's stability and support for so many apps and companies.

of all the widgets i've used on my android device, i only found the calendar, power widget (turn bluetooth off, gps, etc in 1 touch), and the weather widget to be most useful. i didn't use facebook/twitter widgets too often. but coming back to iphone 4 is definitely a breeze knowing i wont be crashing or outdated with a ROM or something.

but being someone like me and having an android, there's definitely a lot of keeping up to do.

Upvote 0
Well generally speaking apps will resize themselves (if designed to resolution independent) HOWEVER resizing is at the expense of crispness and clarity of the graphics unless high res textures are used. For example if an app was made for a lower res and lower sized screen in mind for lets say a Hero and then that same app is put on a Droid X, the app might be blurry unless the developer updated the app to use high resolution graphics.

Upvote 0
Ah, gotcha. Never knew that. Pretty interesting there, lol. Before iPhone 4 came out I'd always brag about my Motorola Droid but now... it's like they're both great phones... Now this is where it really comes down to personal choice. Stability vs Instability. Custom vs Non-custom. u know? lol

Upvote 0
I'd think about getting the incredible again but it doesn't have the ability to turn off sense like the EVO which is invaluable to me. Sense is great and all but it slows down the phone, and is a lot more form than function... Looks pretty but seems pretty useless to me. Plus it slows down development of the phone so who knows when or if the phones with sense will be updated (they have said that the incredible will be updated though so that's encouraging). Is there a Froyo ROM for the incredible yet?

Upvote 0
I'd think about getting the incredible again but it doesn't have the ability to turn off sense like the EVO which is invaluable to me. Sense is great and all but it slows down the phone, and is a lot more form than function... Looks pretty but seems pretty useless to me. Plus it slows down development of the phone so who knows when or if the phones with sense will be updated (they have said that the incredible will be updated though so that's encouraging). Is there a Froyo ROM for the incredible yet?

I agree with you about the sense...It just has senseless shit running...And I think this week Froyo will be available...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones