• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Which Droid X rom is the closest to pure vanilla Android?

dguy

Android Expert
Jun 9, 2010
Sorry if it's common knowledge or obvious to some but I browsed and searched and couldn't find a direct answer. Which Droid X rom is the closest one can get to having a pure vanilla install of Android on the phone? Talking icons, colors, wallpapers, everything. Thanks in advance.

I would agree that Liberty is the closest to a stock vanilla rom that you can get with a droid x but it is themed yellow. You'd have to find out if there is a vanilla theme to get the colors/etc from yellow to stock.

I didnt run Liberty for long so I'm no help when it comes to available themes, for some reason Liberty didnt like my phone...

Upvote 0
I would agree that Liberty is the closest to a stock vanilla rom that you can get with a droid x but it is themed yellow. You'd have to find out if there is a vanilla theme to get the colors/etc from yellow to stock.

I didnt run Liberty for long so I'm no help when it comes to available themes, for some reason Liberty didnt like my phone...

There is a black aosp theme for Liberty here:

[Theme] Black AOSP for Liberty 1.5 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

It's all the vanilla android icons with a black notification bar instead of white.
You can also use sephtin's theme generator to make your own theme, although I still don't know if there's any white notification bar options there either.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones