• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Orange Contract?

lucky_larry

Lurker
Apr 17, 2010
I'm confused as to which contract I want to get with Orange.
I'm looking for the cheapest option as I don't make that many phone calls, but I want to be able to use the internet on the phone.
Have been looking on carphonewarehouse but I can't see which one offers the internet in the price.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thank you.

I'm confused as to which contract I want to get with Orange.
I'm looking for the cheapest option as I don't make that many phone calls, but I want to be able to use the internet on the phone.
Have been looking on carphonewarehouse but I can't see which one offers the internet in the price.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thank you.

Dolphin includes unlimited texts and 200mins with 500MB of data only so if you go over you will get charged. Panther has unlimited data (with a 500mb FUP). Currently cheapest panther plan is

Upvote 0
Thank you everybody.
In your experience is 500mb usually enough a month? How much does GPS take up?
And what would be the cost per mb once you go over your limit?

Well they say average Iphone user uses 200mb a month but I dont know how true that is. It depends on how much you use data intensive services like video/music streaming, VoIP etc. Simple tasks such as browsing and synching daily wont use up too much data.

Im not sure but I think its 60p a day after the 500meg, call them just to be sure.

Upvote 0
No it is not dolphin, it says 500mb internet not unlimited.
Read my post above.
Only way to get unlimited net on dolphin is by getting it from orange direct and trying to get them to beat other networks offers.

This could be open to interpretation because orange's unlimited internet is actually limited to 500mb FUP so in actual fact there is no difference between dolphin with only 500mb and panther with unlimited internet (500mb FUP)

Im on dolphin and was told they would throw in unlimited internet but they also made sure i was aware that unlimited means only 500mb, i asked if 500mb would be enough if your not a film or video download monster, just browsing pages and they said it'd be plenty.

Well i got mine on thursday the 8th, so friday i really started getting to grips and downloading free apps, themes and ringtones so 9 days and im on 128.25mb so im on track to hit 500mb

Upvote 0
This could be open to interpretation because orange's unlimited internet is actually limited to 500mb FUP so in actual fact there is no difference between dolphin with only 500mb and panther with unlimited internet (500mb FUP)

In on dolphin and was told they would throw in unlimited internet but they also made sure i was aware that unlimited means only 500mb, i asked if 500mb would be enough if your not a film or video download monster, just browsing pages and they said it'd plenty.

Well i got mine on thursday the 8th, so friday i really started getting to grips and downloading free apps, themes and ringtones so 9 days and im on 128.25mb so im on track to hit 500mb

The difference is unlimited option is a FUP and not a set limit. If you have a FUP and you go over you will not get charged first time, orange will then monitor your usages if you go over again in the next month and you could either have your net brought down to a 500meg limit, have it taken away, restrict speed etc.
While on standard 500meg limit you get charged as soon as you go over 500megs.

Upvote 0
Personally I have been told off by 3 about downloading too much @ 350MB on my iPhone 3G and that was purely because I was tethering when my laptop wireless failed. If you tether it is crap and not recommended.

So far in the past 6 months on my iPhone 3G I have downloaded 1.4GB of stuff, that roughly equates to 239MB per month so if it is purely internet on your handset it may be worth it but keep in mind Android handsets will update themselves all the time and so internet usage may be a bit more, can anybody help out with usage stats?

Upvote 0
Odd cause the unlimited internet I got is not a part of my tariff and would cost me extra but they given it free but still said its 500meg FUP.*

Unlimited internet wasnt part of my ORIGINAL tariff as i had an N96 with just mins and texts on it, then i upgraded to the desire for free, kept the tariff i was on but they added unlimited internet for free but said unlimited means 500mb FUP but this thread has jogged my memory. When i asked what the likelyhood of me going over the 500mb and being charged they said dont worry about it as mobile internet doesnt cost them anything.

Upvote 0
Unlimited internet wasnt part of my ORIGINAL tariff as i had an N96 with just mins and texts on it, then i upgraded to the desire for free, kept the tariff i was on but they added unlimited internet for free but said unlimited means 500mb FUP but this thread has jogged my memory. When i asked what the likelyhood of me going over the 500mb and being charged they said dont worry about it as mobile internet doesnt cost them anything.

yeah thats what I meant. Mine was standard doplhin 25 with texts and mins on my C905.

Upvote 0
A couple of months ago while frequenting another unrelated forum someone asked this very question ie What does unlimited actually mean. After some dodgy replies i joined in and threw in a curve ball and mentioned the FUP, none of the other posters had heard of the FUP and thats when the thread took off.

I did some quick research on various networks FUP's and it appeared at that time only O2 truly meant unlimited with absolutely NO FUP, the others had from 500mb to 750mb. Interestingly i just found this while googling and it looks quite recent dated Feb 2010........

What does “unlimited” really mean? Mobile fair usage allowances | Ken's Tech Tips

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones