• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

which phone to get

jsambrook

Lurker
Dec 4, 2011
hi guys

I currently have a nokia n900 and want to swotch to android. I want a phone tha I can modify like the n900, play avi files, and has a jard keyboard. im steering towards the desire z atm but im worried it will be updated soon as its been on the market a while.

can anyone offer any advice?

Why do you want a keyboard? never understood why anyone would want one as they are really slow and fiddily to type on.

Faster to use the on screen keyboard, even faster when using swipe, physical keyboard just adds extra weight and thinkness which isnt needed. Also doesnt help that phones with keyboards usually have the worst specs of the high end phones.

Upvote 0
Shocky

I guess its what you're used to. I've had an iphone and typing always seemed such a chore. Not used swipe though so maybe there is something there to try. I get ur point though, I do feel limited by the keyboard, maybe I need to rethink!

So which is the best phone witohut a keyboard then?

Upvote 0
Without keyboard, I'd say a Galaxy S2 or Sensation XE, depending on whether you like Sense or TouchWiz. Rather a bit of a coin flip to see which is better: On one side we have the fastest chipset and arguably best GPU on the market (S2, Exynos chipset 1.2Ghz dual core with Mali-400 GPU), on the other hand we have a CPU that's clocked higher with a very good GPU as well (1.5Ghz Snapdragon with Adreno 220 GPU).

Upvote 0
Shocky

I guess its what you're used to. I've had an iphone and typing always seemed such a chore. Not used swipe though so maybe there is something there to try. I get ur point though, I do feel limited by the keyboard, maybe I need to rethink!

So which is the best phone witohut a keyboard then?

Goto your local phone shop and try typing on different phones and see which you like or dislike

The only disadvantage of typing on screen is that the keyboard covers a large portion of the screen, but you get used to it.

Without keyboard, I'd say a Galaxy S2 or Sensation XE, depending on whether you like Sense or TouchWiz. Rather a bit of a coin flip to see which is better: On one side we have the fastest chipset and arguably best GPU on the market (S2, Exynos chipset 1.2Ghz dual core with Mali-400 GPU), on the other hand we have a CPU that's clocked higher with a very good GPU as well (1.5Ghz Snapdragon with Adreno 220 GPU).

The clockspeed advantage doesnt mean much when comparing these two devices though, 1.2GHz Cortex A9 and 1.5GHz Snapdragon (Scorpion) are about equal. However the Cortex A9 in Exynos also has NEON instructions which boosts performance quite a bit when it's used.

Upvote 0
I've narrowed it down to the galaxy s2 and the galaxy nexus. donth tihnk there's much in it, but as nexus is the newer phone im thinking it'll be more futureproof. only thing is that i recon the s2 has more video playback flexibility. you thinki'll be able to install missing codecs on nexus or should i go for the s2 as its important to me. currently have the n900 and it plays virtually everything!
cheers guys

Upvote 0
I've narrowed it down to the galaxy s2 and the galaxy nexus. donth tihnk there's much in it, but as nexus is the newer phone im thinking it'll be more futureproof. only thing is that i recon the s2 has more video playback flexibility. you thinki'll be able to install missing codecs on nexus or should i go for the s2 as its important to me. currently have the n900 and it plays virtually everything!
cheers guys

Nexus doesn't have the sd card slot which is a deal breaker for me. I dunno, but I like knowing I can just take out my sd card and put it in another phone if need be.

If I had to get a new phone now it'd be the gs2

Upvote 0
Cheers chanchan05 i figured that would be the case, but just wanted to check. looks like im gonna get the Nexus then! I'd rather get a new phone on a 2 yr contract than get one thats been on the market for a while and its upgrade is rumoured as out soon. Not sure I can hang on for the s3 without a difinative release date!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones