• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whisper (rustle) sound when calling

nedamdam

Android Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2010
Slovakia
Wanna just ask is it normal to hear whisper sound or rustle when calling. If no, how to shut it off... Tried sip call when dialing no such sound, skype also. But when cellular the sound is there already on ringing and doesn't go away when picked up. OR is this the carriers fault? Thanks for any answer (sorry if its already somewhere here) (The volume is on the lowest setting)

Orange Slovakia (have also trouble with the volume of the in-call which I reported somewhere else here :p) Tried my both normal phones on T-mobile was ok, till I get to the worse of worse trying to put my t-mobile SIM to the Hero wanted to ask if there is something I can do via some setting :p or test.

Upvote 0
I know the noise you mean, I've heard it using VOIP with high quality headsets. Some phone companies add a very quiet noise so you know the line is still connected because they acctually disconnect the line to save bandwidth during silent periods. The down side is the better qualtiy the speaker the more apprent this will be. The technical term is 'comfort noise'. Normally you should only be able to hear it if the line is silent i.e. nobody is talking.

Reactions: nedamdam
Upvote 0
Hmm, so a colleague of mine with a Hero same carrier says he doesn't have the issue. The white noise I would call it now. Its kinda annoying and much worse on headsets... Will have to test it more and try the colleagues phone (maybe he is deaf...) But as on calling on skype or sip it aint there. Only on GSM.

Till then since now I am on a business trip and cant test more anyone has some idea?
(I tested it on fring the best way to have all 3 calling options next to each other, skypeout , sip and cellular)

Changed the carrier noise still there... (T-mobile)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones