White Camera Button

Last Updated:

1. Gulfstream

Gulfstream Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else had the "Gold" wear off the Camera Button leaving it all white? Guess I'll have to try and paint it black as it's rather unsightly.

Advertisement
  2. antwonjenkins

antwonjenkins Well-Known Member

I think it's the setup we have. our phones are too 'phat'. also part of the custom setup. at least that's what I tell my friend who has a droid w/ a pristine condition camera button and he's had his droid since launch. what gives? BUT his led lights in his keyboard and on his home keys are all weird so I'm quite happy with my white button as long as all my lights work good. Remember it's custom white.

3. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

Mine is solid white. The three other Droids I know of the same age are all gold still. I don't fell like I use my camera all that much.

4. 4DAIVI PAI2K5

4DAIVI PAI2K5 Well-Known Member

Mine lost its "bling" long ago :(

edit: I do have a single gold spec. Baller!

5. brandoshido

brandoshido Well-Known Member

Ive got the we camera button too. the back of phone has the motorola logo fading to white as well

6. skyline987

skyline987 Well-Known Member

Mine was white now its kinda dark blueish. I sharpied it black when i noticed the gold came off and now the sharpie is fading off

7. MajesticFlame

MajesticFlame Well-Known Member

The gold on my button started coming off shortly after I bought it (got mine on launch day). I barely ever use my camera so it's not from use. It has been pure white for a long time.

My camera takes great macro shots but any normal photos suck. Always slightly blurry no matter what (yes even after cleaning off the "lens").

8. smacky

smacky Banned

Yeah, mine turned white weeks after I got it. I just live with it. It happened on the Eris' speaker and the chrome lining so... this is better, imo.

9. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

sharpie makes paint markers that work great.

big%boy%big and Psychokitty like this.
  10. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Mine is white as well.

The gold flaking off isn't from taking pics, it's from loading boatloads of roms, kernels, and updates all day long. Oh well, sharpie time.

11. tebower

tebower Well-Known Member

I painted it gold again with automotive gold touch up paint, but didn't like the outcome, so that all came off, and I painted it black. Now it's not noticeable. It should have matched the volume rocker all along, or been made of actual gold plastic, and not some cheap paint.

12. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

Mine is half white, half gold on the face. I almost never use my mouse button, and I keep my phone alone in one pocket (was able to put other stuff in my pocket with my old flip phone... one of the small things I miss). So I have no idea how it managed to chip off, but meh, it could be worse.

13. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Guys, it was REAL GOLD! That button was the most expensive component in the whole camera!
    OK, so maybe not. But it did look pretty cool when it was new. Now mine is ugly because it's neither all gold nor all white.
    Once all the gold wears off, I'll Sharpie Paint Pen it (after I find one of those as Tom suggested). Then my ROM will run fast again.

14. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

Mine is solid gold! Even with flashing many Roms. I got mine in December.

15. jb99fan

jb99fan Member

mine is still shiny gold.

16. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Wow, what do you guys do to your phones? My phone's been unprotected since the Droid's launch date and my button is still perfectly gold.

17. MajesticFlame

I think it is funny that whenever someone mentions something about their hardware having issues people always have to ask "What did you do to your phone, mine is still perfect". There is such thing as different batches (not just batches of phones but also the individual components themselves) and quality varies.

I've babied my phone since launch and the paint started peeling off essentially right after I bought it. I am not the only one as can be seen from this thread.

Now I would have liked it if they had used a different material for the button. But the phone is still the one I bought at launch and it has been working great so it is not like I am going to go swap it out just because of the button.

18. shadowdude777

Yeah, I highly doubt that Motorola's going to go and custom-order different batches of "2-stage white buttons with thin gold coats" and they'll end up feeling identical. Or are you saying that's a standard component? Yes, of course quality varies, but at the same time, your definition of "babying" your phone is probably different from mine too. In a mass-produced thing like a button for a popular electronic, it's highly unlikely that paint on one button was made to adhere better to its substrate than the paint on another button.

19. Psychokitty

Wait, I want in on this debate; -it looks like it has potential for an all out argument!

...Meh. I got nuttin'.

20. MajesticFlame

Yeah the definition of babying can vary from person to person. My phone has never been dropped, always goes into a pocket by itself is in mint condition other than the button.

As to the button, batches of any mass produced product can vary slightly. In this case I think that if one spot hasn't adhered right and starts flaking the rest soon follows. So if you didn't have any weak spots you were golden but if you did you would eventually have a white button. The week spot on mine was the little ridge pattern on top. Started coming off smack dab in the middle. Not really surprising since that is where you would expect a weak spot to be if you had one.

Glad you didn't have the issue though. It was kind of annoying to look at when it first started but once it had all fell off and ended up solid white I really stopped noticing it. Besides, I'd much rather that be the flaw in my phone than hardware related to the actual functioning of my phone. Some people really had bad luck with their phones.

Still really happy with my Droid. By now with all my past phones I'd already be thinking about how I still had to wait a another year to get a new phone if I wanted the contract price. Not even thinking of a new phone yet. Sure there are some cool phones out but the Droid still does everything I need. :)

Sorry went of track at the end.

21. MajesticFlame

Thanks for making me smile. :) No need for an argument but good discussion is fun.

22. Psychokitty

I'm in quality control for a small manufacturing company. It's all machined parts, but that does include plastics.
    I can say that there are quite often small differences between runs or batches of parts we make. We have tolerances within a few ten thousandths of an inch on some parts, and some runs are at the high limit and some at the low.
    We send stuff out for plating all the time; all kinds of plating from anodization to powder coat and lots in between. I also do some plating myself and I can tell you from experience that if a batch of parts is not properly degreased, that plate or coating WILL flake off.
    -Try degreasing plastic! lol It ain't easy.
    So that's my theory on why some buttons lost all their gold, some lose only parts of it, and others are still golden-good.
    But I dunno.

23. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

24. Psychokitty

Ohhhhhh Baby! 2 GHz, here I come!

25. shadowdude777

So just so I can understand it, does the button chip or something, or does the gold part just wear off and you're left with a perfectly smooth white surface? Cause if it's the latter, then yeah, the Sharpie pen thing should work for anyone that has the issue, but if it's the former, you're just going to have an ugly lumpy button that's gold after you use the Sharpie pen.