• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Whoops! Where did those icons go?

So I have a number of virtual desktop screens - I guess they are called that - where I have placed a variety of icons.

This morning, I checked to see if there were any phone updates, and there was, and it turns out the phone was upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4.2.

I was surprised to see, however, that a number of icons were no longer being displayed on a couple of the screens.

The bad news, for me, is that I don't remember exactly what icons they were. One was the phone settings gear icon, I think.

There were 6 or 8 others missing from the first screen. If I could remember what they were, I could go looking for them.
From my "game" screen, however, there is only one missing - a tetris icon.
More than 10 other icons on that screen are still there.

When I went to the application list, I found that not only is the virtual screen icon missing, but the application icon is missing from the application list.

I am leaning towards the system having deleted icons and apps that may not have been compatible with the new OS.

Alas, without a list of what was deleted, I am having a tough time figuring out what to go look for.

So, first, I am warning other "newbies" whose memories are as bad as mine to write down (is there a way to generate screen shots of this stuff) what applications you have so that you can try to find them again after the upgrade.

Secondly, I am wondering if anyone knows of any place in the system that would have recorded a list of what was deleted?

Thank you ... :eek:

So I have a number of virtual desktop screens - I guess they are called that - where I have placed a variety of icons.

This morning, I checked to see if there were any phone updates, and there was, and it turns out the phone was upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4.2.

I was surprised to see, however, that a number of icons were no longer being displayed on a couple of the screens.

The bad news, for me, is that I don't remember exactly what icons they were. One was the phone settings gear icon, I think.

There were 6 or 8 others missing from the first screen. If I could remember what they were, I could go looking for them.
From my "game" screen, however, there is only one missing - a tetris icon.
More than 10 other icons on that screen are still there.

When I went to the application list, I found that not only is the virtual screen icon missing, but the application icon is missing from the application list.

I am leaning towards the system having deleted icons and apps that may not have been compatible with the new OS.

Alas, without a list of what was deleted, I am having a tough time figuring out what to go look for.

So, first, I am warning other "newbies" whose memories are as bad as mine to write down (is there a way to generate screen shots of this stuff) what applications you have so that you can try to find them again after the upgrade.

Secondly, I am wondering if anyone knows of any place in the system that would have recorded a list of what was deleted?

Thank you ... :eek:

Play Store will have list. Go to apps in Playstore and select "My apps from menu.

Upvote 0
You can take a screen shot with the S4:
Press and hold the home button and the power button at the same time. Hold them in for about a second or two. Your screen will now flash and make a sound to indicate a screen shot has taken.

But I'm wondering, if you don't remember what these icons and programs are. ..do you really need them?

Upvote 0
If you use folders, you will take a lot of screen shots. Don't ask how I know.

Yes, the Play store will know what apps you've purchased under a particular ID but not necessarily specific to this phone. And the store won't know what apps you installed, changed your mind and later uninstalled. The Play store won't know any of your custom settings either.

Upvote 0
You can take a screen shot with the S4:
Press and hold the home button and the power button at the same time. Hold them in for about a second or two. Your screen will now flash and make a sound to indicate a screen shot has taken.

But I'm wondering, if you don't remember what these icons and programs are. ..do you really need them?

1. I will try that screen shot tip out. Thanks
2. I wondered about the missing app thing myself. Then I needed to turn on portable hot spot and the icon was gone. And it wasn't in the app list. So I tried to go to Google play. The app wouldn't start. I find I have to use the app manager to stop it and clear it's data. However the store wasn't listed in the app manager to stop. So I stopped the play services but that didn't help. I then went to the Web site. I tried to install hot spot again and it said it was already installed. Now it showed up in the list. I recreated the desktop icon and after several tries it startef. Whew!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones