• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whose GPS is have zero issues

Im running DK28 (rooted) and I have no GPS issues. I deliver Pizza's so it really comes in handy too. At times the GPS lady comes out with 'GPS Signal Lost' but thanks to the 'follow the route' feature, I still get to where I need to be.

I put DK28 on my roommates Epic and at first his GPS wasn't working at all, but we did a hard reset on his phone and now its working fine. So I guess its true, some Epic's have flawless GPS radio's while others are buggy.

*shrugs*

Upvote 0
I'm running DK28 also and have had intermittent GPS issues from day 1. Occasionally my phone will lock-on within 15 seconds, but most commonly it will search forever. I've tried every custom build and quick fix mentioned on XDA with minimal success. The GPS receiver is just buggy on this phone; I doubt we will ever see a permanent solution.

Upvote 0
I am sure this is a very dumb question, but I see people say they are running DK something or DL something. What does that refer to and how can I check to see what I am running?

Not sure what the "D" stands for, but the 2nd letter corresponds to the month of the year. ie K is the 11th month so DK28 is a 11/28 release. Likewise DL06 is a December 6 release.

Menu > Settings > About phone. Look at the value at the end of Build number. For stock Epic it should be ECLAIR.DI18 (released Sept 18). (Eclair is Android 2.1. Each Android versions are lettered in sequence and named after a tasty desert)

If you installed the 2.2.1 leak, you will see FROYO.DK28 at the end. (Froyo is Frozen Yogurt, Adroid release 2.2, next release is Gingerbread 2.3)

Upvote 0
Not sure what the "D" stands for, but the 2nd letter corresponds to the month of the year. ie K is the 11th month so DK28 is a 11/28 release. Likewise DL06 is a December 6 release.

Menu > Settings > About phone. Look at the value at the end of Build number. For stock Epic it should be ECLAIR.DI18 (released Sept 18). (Eclair is Android 2.1. Each Android versions are lettered in sequence and named after a tasty desert)

If you installed the 2.2.1 leak, you will see FROYO.DK28 at the end. (Froyo is Frozen Yogurt, Adroid release 2.2, next release is Gingerbread 2.3)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am DI18.

Upvote 0
i've always wondered...is this a phone-by-phone issue where I should try to replace my current phone with a disfunctional gps?

you can try, but the percentage of bad GPS vs good GPS is so large, you most likely will get one with a bad GPS.

most have implemented work-around solutions, myself included, posted by members and moderators with success. you are probably better off trying the work-arounds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones