• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do I have so many apps starting automatically at bootup?

-Ollie-

Jun 15, 2010
Hi all,
I am NOT asking how to prevent these apps to start automatically at bootup, I could see that there are already a few threads for that and I read them.
I am just wondering: why do these apps start automatically?
When I look at the list, I see that I rarely use some of these apps.
Is this a setting that is defined within the application itself?

most of the apps downloaded from the market which make any sense starting when the phone boots (such as, maybe twitter, or a battery widget) have an option for you to check whether you want them to start when you turn on your phone or not. also, apps which require syncing with a server (like mail) start up by default and some phone services do the same, so that you have data cached and ready to use (less waiting time when you want to use the app).
if you're concerned about the memory use of those apps, you can try using a task manager / killer to stop them. there are a lot of threads on what people use, but my personal favorite is Advanced Task Killer - it's clean, slim and does its job.
good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones