• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do people like Handcent?...its terrible

syvmn

May 12, 2012
I switched from the iPhone to HTC One X about a week ago and so far am LOVING my first android phone, except for one thing.

I downloaded Handcent so I could customize my texting experience a bit more and am horribly disappointed. I am almost in shock as to how bad the basic stuff is done wrong.

It seems to only randomly turn on my screen with a preview when I get a new text, maybe 75% of the time, and then the previews it does show are old texts I already read. How can that possibly be considered a great app.....or even a mediocre app?

I don't want to start an iPhone/android battle, but the iphones texting was just logical. I got a text, it showed me a preview of it, and it stacked the new texts I got on the lock screen until I unlocked and read them. That way I can read them without having to unlock when I'm busy at work.

Why do people like this app?

I completely agree about being able to text without unlocking. That is a fantastic feature.

However....

I WANT it to turn on the screen when I get an incoming text, and if its going to turn on when I get that new text, it should show me the new text....right? It doesn't, it shows me the text before the new one.

It like my phone goes "BEEPity BEEP! You have a new text. YAY! I'll even turn on the screen to grab your attention in case you have it on silent. YAY!... Oh but here's a random old text you already read"

Upvote 0
Handcent is a great app because of all of its customization such as different tone, background, icon, led, and whether or not to make a message private, all on a per contact basis.

I never used the pop-up feature. I disabled it as soon as I opened the app. I only want the screen to turn on with the notification.

Upvote 0
Depends on your phone's stock SMS app. It differs between manufacturers and the Nexus line.

1. Privacy-Some OEM's stock apps display the message contents on the notification bar. SOme people want a little more privacy. Also, some SMS apps offer a private inbox where messages from select individuals or with certain contents go to away from prying eyes with password protection.

2. Popups - some stock sms apps don't have them

3. Personalized looks - themes and whatnot

4. Sending options - some stock sms apps group messages sent to multiple persons into one thread. other apps can do something to make the messages go to each contact's individual thread.

5. Receiving options - you can give each contact individualized alerts.

Reactions: pwalt
Upvote 0
I switched from the iPhone to HTC One X about a week ago and so far am LOVING my first android phone, except for one thing.

I downloaded Handcent so I could customize my texting experience a bit more and am horribly disappointed. I am almost in shock as to how bad the basic stuff is done wrong.

It seems to only randomly turn on my screen with a preview when I get a new text, maybe 75% of the time, and then the previews it does show are old texts I already read. How can that possibly be considered a great app.....or even a mediocre app?

I don't want to start an iPhone/android battle, but the iphones texting was just logical. I got a text, it showed me a preview of it, and it stacked the new texts I got on the lock screen until I unlocked and read them. That way I can read them without having to unlock when I'm busy at work.

Why do people like this app?

Everyone has their own preferences and this thread is a great example of that. Reading what you're looking for and what doesn't work with Handcent, I can see where you're coming from. I don't want my screen ever turning on without action on my part and am no fan of previews or pop-ups. Since I never turned those features on, I don't see them fail. What I do have enabled works great! Maybe Handcent doesn't have the features you need. With Android, it's all about choice!

Since people have mentioned GoSMS, I'm giving that a try but haven't gotten enough texts to make a judgement on it yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones