• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do they... but we cant

cammykool

Android Expert
Jun 18, 2011
Aurora CO
allright im about to get bombarded by apple fanboys but according to this

How To Install Android 2.2.1 On iPhone 3G/2G - Dual Boot Froyo 2.2 - YouTube

android can be booted on one of the most locked down devices ever and most everything works but we cant get iOS booting on our android phones its basically Linux like anything else

you have to admit being able to say "i have iOS on my _________ _______ _______ would be pretty cool!

Idk, maybe the fact that ios has more apps, plus better and newer games that come out on ios long before Android in many cases? I own both Android and iOS based devices.

I'm so burnt out on that argument.... The locked down app store means nothing to me. I own an iPod touch. It is great as an MP3 player. Know how long it's been since I logged into the App store? Me either. Android has all the games and apps I need. And none of the lockdown. I'm not going to get into this overplayed argument, I was simply stating a reason that I believe to be true for folks not really wanting to boot ios on an android.

TL;DR, why run a locked down ecosystem on a fully open source device?

/end ios/android debate, as that was not my reason for posting what I did. ;)

Upvote 0
you go steal iOS source code from Apple, and then some dev can get it running on Android, piece of cake. Except for the stealing from Apple part.

That's the real reason you can't run iOS on Android. It's simply not publicly available.

There are projects to emulate iOS, but they aren't getting very far.

Upvote 0
I'm so burnt out on that argument.... The locked down app store means nothing to me. I own an iPod touch. It is great as an MP3 player. Know how long it's been since I logged into the App store? Me either. Android has all the games and apps I need. And none of the lockdown. I'm not going to get into this overplayed argument, I was simply stating a reason that I believe to be true for folks not really wanting to boot ios on an android.

TL;DR, why run a locked down ecosystem on a fully open source device?

/end ios/android debate, as that was not my reason for posting what I did. ;)

Your needs and views ≠ others. As an Android user, one would think you would prefer choice and options to a close-minded attitude. And I was not trying to argue. I was simply stating my view as a user of nearly every OS out there.

Upvote 0
see you guys are curious iOS is based off Linux like android (checked in a terminal app) so our android drivers and kernels MAY work and we could extract the files from iOS from an iPod or something and have a dev tinker with it

All we have to do is give a block of lead to a dev, let him tinker with it, and he can turn it into a block of gold.

No.

First of all, iOS is not based off Linux. It's based off a variant of Unix (Darwin, which is derived from a bunch of other Unix-like systems). There is absolutely no Linux in iOS, and there's no compatibility between them at all.

Kernels are hardware specific. So an iDevice kernel will only work for that iDevice, for the platform it was compiled on. To port iOS (theoretically) to an Android device, you'd have to write a brand new kernel to interface the Android's hardware to iOS. Not so easy when you don't have visibility into iOS source code.

We should stop viewing devs as miracle workers. There are real-world limits to engineering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones