• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do you think Samsung is not talking about GPS issues yet?

Why do you think Samsung is not talking about GPS issues yet?

• doesn't know what is causing the problem

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • knows the problem but it is hardware related

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • knows the problem but doesn't know how to fix it

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • knows the problem and are working on a software fix as we speak.

Votes: 50 55.6%

• Total voters
I travel a lot a find it very interesting that the GPS at all of the ATT stores works perfectly. I personally cannot lock on inside my house, but do fairly well outside of my home. I asked Samsung tech support and they could not provide an answer. I know for a fact that the sales reps at the stores visited spent a good amount of time showing me GPS based features.

Upvote 0
The inverse square law dictates that if you stick your phone directly on top of the access point, the signal will be 10,000 to 100,000 times as strong as you'd get a couple of rooms away in a more typical scenario. No device is going to operate very well that way.

Good grief, I don't even know where to start with this. Do some research on wireless technology and get back to me.

It has to be a software issue because im running the i9000 rom and it locks and everything, every time i use it.

Seriously? This is the answer you're going with?

---

I am so sick of everyone posting their dumb "it works/doesn't work/glows in the dark for me so therefore based on my vast sample size of me, it must be <software/hardware/sunspots>" comments.

I guess it would be too much to ask for people to stick to the facts. There are very few facts that we know at this point, but we do know a few, so can we cut the generalizations based on one person's experience please?

P.S. My GPS works fine when I hold my phone upside down while standing in the ball pit at Burger King between the hours of 11pm and 3am on days with the letter "S" in them so obviously this is the fix :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I am so sick of everyone posting their dumb "it works/doesn't work/glows in the dark for me so therefore based on my vast sample size of me, it must be <software/hardware/sunspots>" comments.

I guess it would be too much to ask for people to stick to the facts. There are very few facts that we know at this point, but we do know a few, so can we cut the generalizations based on one person's experience please?

Dude...it runs on Android...it's PERFECT!

But seriously I agree. Not to mention there is an unnatural amount of "faith" going on these forums about Samsung fixing these issues, even though the past shows that Samsung is more likely to not fix these issues than the contrary.

Upvote 0
As I wrote on another forum, if you return the phone solely because of the GPS issue - that's nuts. Want a GPS product? Get a TomTom. This is a phone people. Besides, there's an excellent chance that this will be dealt with in an update. Samsung's got too much to lose to ignore this issue (as silly as I think it is).

I tend to agree with this. I like the idea of having a GPS if you aren't in the car and walking around New York for the fist time, but I hate using my phone GPS, playing music on it, AND then getting a phone call. It's just a pain in the ass.

Upvote 0
Dude...it runs on Android...it's PERFECT!

But seriously I agree. Not to mention there is an unnatural amount of "faith" going on these forums about Samsung fixing these issues, even though the past shows that Samsung is more likely to not fix these issues than the contrary.

Perhaps the unnatural amount of faith comes from the fact that all the main carriers will eventually have a Galaxy S phone, and very soon. They would get bombed with even more complaints if they don't fix it by the time Sprint gets the epic. Or maybe some people just don't care about the gps as much (although they should, for a 200$ phone). I know android isn't perfect, but I'm seriously bored of iOS and wanted to try something new.

If this really is a hardware issue, I honestly don't know why they are still pushing out so many galaxy s phones. What would REALLY suck is if the fascinate and epic never has these issues, and samsung abandons the presently existing problem. It was already a slap in the face (for no reason that I know of) that the captivate/vibrant didn't get camera flash. If you do know, please enlighten me.

Upvote 0
Good grief, I don't even know where to start with this. Do some research on wireless technology and get back to me.

Seriously? This is the answer you're going with?

---

P.S. My GPS works fine when I hold my phone upside down while standing in the ball pit at Burger King between the hours of 11pm and 3am on days with the letter "S" in them so obviously this is the fix :rolleyes:

I would agree with you on most of the so called GPS fixes, however, when it appears that reloading a rom solves the GPS issue (even if only temporarily) almost universally, that is a LOT of evidence pointing at this being a software issue. You can't call it anecdotal (which is what you were talking about) when it works for just about everyone in that scenario.

Upvote 0
DT, I will try your settings on my next run. I run where there is just one cell tower, a few miles away, and no wifi. It will be a good test.

Thanks.

Tried your settings on a run, and then a drive into work.

The Captivate tracked me running down my driveway, for a total distance of 1000 feet. This shows it quickly located me at start. But after 1000 feet, the Captivate then went haywire and the tracking was all over the place, and then finally stopped tracking me. Total distance of my daily run is about 3.5 miles. I was only tracked for the first 0.77 miles of that distance, and only the first 1000 feet was accurate. Application: Runkeeper

I then used Google Tracks to track today's drive into work. I activated the Google Tracks when I got into my car at my house and put the Captivate on the passenger's seat. It took about 5-7 miles before the Captivate was able to determine my location, and then it dropped it again for another two miles. A few miles later it picked me up again, only to drop me once more. Finally, it managed a solid 5 mile stretch where it tracked me accurately, but failed to track the final 5 miles into work. Applicaton: Google Tracker.

I did notice that in some cases the new settings was able to locate me more quickly, but it still has issues with maintaining lock.

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with "Joel" in Level 3 technical support and he actually told me with a straight face that the Samsung Galaxy S was designed and its "specifications" are such that the phone's GPS is meant to get you within WAIT FOR IT ..... 1600 METERS OF YOUR ACTUAL LOCATION!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT 1 MILE! If you haven't already returned this phone DO IT NOW. I am stuck with this POS!

Upvote 0
Why not just turn on the "wireless services" part of the GPS? It'll "just work" then.... Right?

Wrong.

And I've had that enabled since day one. You should do yourself a favor and learn what that feature actually does, and how it is radically different from GPS... which is why it only helps sometimes for some people.

I got this fixed by installing "GPS Status" from Market and it resolved my issue, I am guessing that it changed some configurations on the backend.

Doesn't fix it for all people. Certainly not for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones