• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why doesn't Samsung use metal?

What do you prefer?

• I'm fine with the plastic.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I prefer metal materials.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I don't care about the looks.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

earthw0rmjim

Nov 12, 2011
Hey!

I was wondering why doesn't Samsung use metal materials for their smartphones.
Samsung phones are excellent, but i hate that they're enitirely plastic.
I chose the Desire S over the Galaxy S because of the alumin(i)um unibody.
Just curious if anyone else have the same thoughts?

Whats wrong with plastic? the Galaxy S2 is the lightest and one of the most durable phones available as seen in drop tests, partly due to the weight.

Besides many of us will put a case on our phones to protect them anyway, at this point the only noticable difference is that one is light and barely noticable in your pocket and other is well not. :p

Upvote 0
i'd much prefer a metal body, i bought a lg2x over the samsung s2 because its heaver due to the metal, i know the phone is in my pocket without having to check.
(just a shame lg are rubbish with os updates)

Hey!

Upvote 0
My phone has plastic materials, the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. I've always kept it in a case and I've even dropped it down wooden stairs, on concrete, banged it on my desk out of rage (not that hard though...) and I've never had a problem with it. Screen is not cracked, there is no scratches. I've had it for 10 months.

Upvote 0
Its a cultural thing. Koreans like their stuff lighter, and making it with metals would basically make them not like it. Western culture is more like bigger and heavier is better, but not so in Korea. I know HTC is Taiwanese, but that country is very westernized already. Korea still has a lot of its own culture. Just take it this way, straight guys in Korea would be "gay" under western standards in terms of fashion and vanity. The Koreans like their stuff more, "delicate" for lack of a better term.

Upvote 0
I hate phones that has a plasticy light feeling almost like a cheap feeling. thats what happened when i had the Tmobile Sidekick3..

THAT was a sturdy phone and nice! then when the more expensive SIDEKICKLX came out it was totally cheep, flimsy and plasticky! felt like a toy
images
images

Upvote 0
They use plastic because they can turn a bigger profit than if they use metal. Remember I never heard a person say their phone broke the plastic parts from a drop. Its always the glass screen that breaks. So I guess they are doing something right with that cheap plastic.

My guess is that the posters are talking about the steel body or using some steelbin the body encasement over an all plastic body. Plastic bodies break too..

Upvote 0
the plastic parts are flimsy.. so they bend.. and dont break from regular abuse. but feel cheep, because they feel not firm.

these plastic parts only have to last 4 yrs.. because most of them will be disposed of. and the refurbished ones get new plastic covers.

True yet some (me included) prefer devices with some steel to its body. I wont spend 400 for soft cheapy feeling plastic.

Upvote 0
What about the SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE? - thick metal band around the edge, firm grippy (plastic) back & a good weight. Feels good in the hand & not cheapo! Good price too for a mid-range phone. There you go, problem sorted, everybody should build like the ACE! :) In case you haven't guessed, I've got one! :cool:

Sounds like MY kinda device!!!

Upvote 0
they dont use metal because they know, it does not matter what material they use, they will always have a great phone to sell..

just like apple. Why dont they make the screen bigger?

Cause there will be more people that dislike a screen larger than the now 3.7 inch than there are people who really really wat that in a phone..
It's better to go for a high quality 3.7 inch than a moderate 4.5 inch or something like that..

Upvote 0
Hey!

I think the same, plastic looks cheap and low quality.

On the other hand, metal looks high-end and modern.

Regards.

Upvote 0
I've got a Samsung S7562 Duo (2 SIMs)... and it's mainly metal and quite surprisingly heavy... compared to my previous phone... but not too heavy: just "heavy-quality": it weighs 118 g. I;m new to smartphones and I love it... but I hate the fact they seem to have engineered things to make it v difficult to connect to a PC... no "USB Mass storage" option. That is VERY VERY bad

Upvote 0
I've got a Samsung S7562 Duo (2 SIMs)... and it's mainly metal and quite surprisingly heavy... compared to my previous phone... but not too heavy: just "heavy-quality": it weighs 118 g. I;m new to smartphones and I love it... but I hate the fact they seem to have engineered things to make it v difficult to connect to a PC... no "USB Mass storage" option. That is VERY VERY bad

that seems very odd.. that it does not have a usb mass storage..

maybe.. you need to download a driver from samsungs website.
and there are options main setting... under storage to enable it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones