1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Why doesn't Samsung use metal?

What do you prefer?

1. I'm fine with the plastic.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. I prefer metal materials.

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  3. I don't care about the looks.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. earthw0rmjim

earthw0rmjim Active Member

Hey!

I was wondering why doesn't Samsung use metal materials for their smartphones.
    Samsung phones are excellent, but i hate that they're enitirely plastic.
    I chose the Desire S over the Galaxy S because of the alumin(i)um unibody.
    Just curious if anyone else have the same thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with plastic? the Galaxy S2 is the lightest and one of the most durable phones available as seen in drop tests, partly due to the weight.

Besides many of us will put a case on our phones to protect them anyway, at this point the only noticable difference is that one is light and barely noticable in your pocket and other is well not. :p
  3. mez

mez Well-Known Member

i'd much prefer a metal body, i bought a lg2x over the samsung s2 because its heaver due to the metal, i know the phone is in my pocket without having to check.
    (just a shame lg are rubbish with os updates)

4. earthw0rmjim

earthw0rmjim Active Member

Yeah, i guess it's personal preference.
    I like the heavier phones. And metal just feels better in the hand and somewhat more elegant for me.
  5. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

My phone has plastic materials, the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. I've always kept it in a case and I've even dropped it down wooden stairs, on concrete, banged it on my desk out of rage (not that hard though...) and I've never had a problem with it. Screen is not cracked, there is no scratches. I've had it for 10 months.
  6. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!! Moderator

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wouldn't want to get on your bad side.:D
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Its a cultural thing. Koreans like their stuff lighter, and making it with metals would basically make them not like it. Western culture is more like bigger and heavier is better, but not so in Korea. I know HTC is Taiwanese, but that country is very westernized already. Korea still has a lot of its own culture. Just take it this way, straight guys in Korea would be "gay" under western standards in terms of fashion and vanity. The Koreans like their stuff more, "delicate" for lack of a better term.
  8. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I think with full plastic there is a more easy handling of the antennae for their places in the phone.

Harry
  9. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Well-Known Member

They are plastic, but they are still very sturdy. Metal just feels more "high class". Plastic phones, no matter how well-made, will always seem "cheap".
  10. Bnice

Bnice Guest

@earthwormjim. I know what you mean. I feel the same way to be honest. I like how HTC make their devices with the aluminum unibody metal. I don't use a case and like to have that solid feel of my device. For the most part, I just haven't found a samsung phone that grabs me.
  11. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i prefer metal construction.. but love light weight too.

but in the real world.. most use some kind of case (i know I do).
    so, the metal is hidden..
  12. vikingjunior

vikingjunior Well-Known Member

This has everything to do with profits. Has nothing to do with light weight.
  13. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Well-Known Member

I hate phones that has a plasticy light feeling almost like a cheap feeling. thats what happened when i had the Tmobile Sidekick3..

THAT was a sturdy phone and nice! then when the more expensive SIDEKICKLX came out it was totally cheep, flimsy and plasticky! felt like a toy
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  14. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

They use plastic because they can turn a bigger profit than if they use metal. Remember I never heard a person say their phone broke the plastic parts from a drop. Its always the glass screen that breaks. So I guess they are doing something right with that cheap plastic.
  15. Rico ANDROID

My guess is that the posters are talking about the steel body or using some steelbin the body encasement over an all plastic body. Plastic bodies break too..
  16. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

the plastic parts are flimsy.. so they bend.. and dont break from regular abuse. but feel cheep, because they feel not firm.

these plastic parts only have to last 4 yrs.. because most of them will be disposed of. and the refurbished ones get new plastic covers.
  17. Rico ANDROID

True yet some (me included) prefer devices with some steel to its body. I wont spend 400 for soft cheapy feeling plastic.
  18. GrahamF

GrahamF Well-Known Member

What about the SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE? - thick metal band around the edge, firm grippy (plastic) back & a good weight. Feels good in the hand & not cheapo! Good price too for a mid-range phone. There you go, problem sorted, everybody should build like the ACE! :) In case you haven't guessed, I've got one! :cool:
    Rico ANDROID likes this.
  19. Rico ANDROID

Sounds like MY kinda device!!!
  20. ibby1001

ibby1001 Member

they dont use metal because they know, it does not matter what material they use, they will always have a great phone to sell..

just like apple. Why dont they make the screen bigger?
  21. peeleuuh

peeleuuh Member

Cause there will be more people that dislike a screen larger than the now 3.7 inch than there are people who really really wat that in a phone..
    It's better to go for a high quality 3.7 inch than a moderate 4.5 inch or something like that..
  22. Enrique2SIM

Enrique2SIM Member

I think the same, plastic looks cheap and low quality.

On the other hand, metal looks high-end and modern.

Regards.
  23. DMedina559

DMedina559 Well-Known Member

There are some disadvantages of having an all metal phone.
    Like signal suffrage; block the antenna whole holding it you'll most likely lose signal.
  24. mrodent

mrodent New Member

I've got a Samsung S7562 Duo (2 SIMs)... and it's mainly metal and quite surprisingly heavy... compared to my previous phone... but not too heavy: just "heavy-quality": it weighs 118 g. I;m new to smartphones and I love it... but I hate the fact they seem to have engineered things to make it v difficult to connect to a PC... no "USB Mass storage" option. That is VERY VERY bad
  25. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

that seems very odd.. that it does not have a usb mass storage..

maybe.. you need to download a driver from samsungs website.
    and there are options main setting... under storage to enable it.