• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why htc, why!?

osli

Nov 30, 2009
Why design a phone where the button that sticks further than anything else can wake the phone? Yes, the trackball wakes the phone, as does the power button which also protrudes. What's worse is that I think having the button being continually pressed burns extra CPU. cycles or something, as I can feel the phone get very warm in my pocket.

So last night my phone drained from fully charged to dead in less than four hours without even using It. I. was constantly taking it out when I felt it getting hot and turning It back off. And sure enough, when I was lost trying to find my way In an area I was not familiar with, my phone was dead and useless.

Please tell me someone has a Lockdcreen out there that disabled all but the menu button, or even better requires a two button combo?

Are depressed buttons pattened or something?

Not sure what you're talking about with the trackball either. I just tried to unlock my phone by repeatedly pressing it against my leg and didn't have a problem with it "accidentally" turning on nor have I ever noticed it turning itself on. Do you have an alternative lock screen? I noticed that with the iphone looking one any button would wake the phone (which I hated) as well as having a 2-3 second delay on occasion. Garbage.

Upvote 0
Ok, so its lock2.0 that enables trackball waking. With it the phone goes dead in my pocket. Without it the double menu press unlocks my phone and does who knows what in my pocket.

My options are ugly case or screen pattern lock. Ugh. I'll take a look at cases. Why am I constantly having to figure out ways to get around design issues?

Upvote 0
I'll stop the Lock2.0 app and see if that changes the behavior? My trackball and all other buttons wake the phone. Shame if it's Lock2.0, I really need it to help prevent the phone from unlocking while in my pocket. Sheesh....

Geee, an important little bit of information EXCLUDED from the OP. Your OP attributes the effect to the phone with no mention of app. First and foremost ALL pertinent information is important when asking a question, in the future it just might get you a proper answer to your question.

Sorry, but I had to post this...

Anyway,

Have your tried NOT carrying it in your pocket? I do and it doesn't unlock, but maybe you move in ways that promote this. :eek:

Suggestion:

Settings>Security>

Select "Require Pattern" and go from there...

It's built into the phone, is a pain because it requires more work to get into phone but if you have a problem with the phone unlocking and dialing or whatever then maybe this is what "you" need.

Hope this helps...

Happy Trails!

:)

Upvote 0
I attributed it to the phone because I didn't know an app could alter that behavior. Now that I do there's hope that someone might write one that actually makes up for bad hardware design.

I only have two requirements... not wake or god forbid unlock in my pocket, and be quick and easy to access when I need my phone.

Upvote 0
I attributed it to the phone because I didn't know an app could alter that behavior. Now that I do there's hope that someone might write one that actually makes up for bad hardware design.

I only have two requirements... not wake or god forbid unlock in my pocket, and be quick and easy to access when I need my phone.

you keep saying its a hardware design problem yet it isnt. Its software based. if there was no menu double-tap to unlock, or a disable option, nobody would have any problems with this situation.

the pattern lock screen is a more than capable solution till the menu unlock is resolved.

just bugs me the issue you had was APP related, yet you continue the hate on the hardware.

Upvote 0
It's bad hardware design that any button can be pressed in pocket. This is the root cause of the problem. It's bad software design that the hardware inadequacy isn't properly masked. This Is the proximate cause of the problem.

Make no mistake, I'm hating on both, but I'm optimistic that someone will write an app to do what HTC apparently cannot.

Upvote 0
It's bad hardware design that any button can be pressed in pocket. This is the root cause of the problem. It's bad software design that the hardware inadequacy isn't properly masked. This Is the proximate cause of the problem.

Make no mistake, I'm hating on both, but I'm optimistic that someone will write an app to do what HTC apparently cannot.

so by your logic, any phone that can have a button pressed while in a pocket has bad hardware design?

i place the singular fault of not having a menu to unlock disable option on either HTC for not including that in sense or if its an android thing, then it goes on them.

Upvote 0

Are you actually even in possession of a HERO??? your post's make me wonder? You have disregarded the so called DESIGN flaw and it's make up (the lock sequence) that already exists ON THE PHONE... there is no need to hope for someone to write one. If you do have you even tried it? Sounds to me it is exactly what you are looking for but then continue about not having it there and the flaw...? Very confusing...

Anyway... ANY phone I have had with surface exposed dialing buttons has had the ability to inadvertently dial out and every single one has has a LOCK sequence to disable this(your) so called design flaw. Some easy to do and some not... BUT those phones were not flawed!

It is NOT a FLAW, I don't have your problem with it dialing out and I walk around with it in my back pocket of my jeans, coat pockets, etc. A Flaw would be inherent to every single unit and others have expressed much the same. What you chose to describe is an annoyance and possibly inconvenience to YOU which you seek relief from, but certainly not a flaw. A "Flaw" by definition is something which would render the phone unusable. If buttons pushed meant to dial actually dial then they are not "flawed" but working correctly, I would say the expectation that the phone be carried in a pocket without dialing is flawed, lol, omg, I could go on forever with the reverse psychology thing. lol, I hope you can see the humor in this... I'm laughing so hard! Just try to breathe and smile, ok!

:D
hehehe...

Happy Trails!
:cool:

Upvote 0
It's bad hardware design that any button can be pressed in pocket. This is the root cause of the problem.
I don't get it! I carried my Hero in my pants pocket without any case on it for 3-1/2 weeks before I got my Seifio Innocase combo and I didn't have any of the problems you are. My pants of choice are western-cut jeans (which aren't baggy) and both my job and private lifestyle involve a lot of physical activity.

Which makes me wonder what you're doing that I wasn't.

Pete

Upvote 0
Are you actually even in possession of a HERO??? Flaw, flaw... FLAW... flaw, flaw... blah, FLAW...

Believe me, you're not the only one laughing.

What's your deal? First you jump on me for not knowing an app was part of the problem. If I didn't know an app was capable of altering that behavior, how would I know that info was pertinent? If I knew that was the problem I obviously wouldn't have asked for an answer, would I? Should I fully list all apps, number of pics, contacts list, and wallpaper pics every time I have a question about a problem to make sure I included all info that might possibly be pertinent? Yet despite your assertion, I received a "proper" answer on the third reply to this thread even with my egregious oversight. I suppose you didn't read that part.

Second, you accuse me of not owning a Hero. wtf? Do I need to include, in addition to the full disclosure off apps, pics, ringtones, contacts, browsing history, and emails that might possibly be pertinent, a notarized picture of my Hero on top of a picture of me, my social security card, and perhaps a birth certificate?

Third, what's your infatuation with the word "flaw" and your need to emphasize it and define it for me? I never used the word. Again, I think it would help if you read before posting your knee-jerk fanboy responses. I called the problem a combination of bad hardware design and bad software design. A flaw is when something does not work the way it was intended, i.e. broke. Bad design can work just as intended... even if that intention was not well thought through. Buttons that can be depressed in pocket are a bad design, even if the button is working perfectly well and does exactly what was programmed when depressed. Software that allows inadvertent button presses to unlock the phone and do weird things is also designed poorly, even if no bugs are present.

I'm glad to know that lock2.0 was causing the battery drain problem with the trackball. Thanks to the helpful poster who brought that possibility to my attention. Again, it looks like my options are to deal with inadvertent unlocks from double menu presses, use the pattern unlock, or get a case. I'm leaning towards the latter. I've tried the pattern unlock and just hated it. I couldn't get it to recognize a quick natural swipe... it required a slow deliberate motion. I'm often in a situation where I need to pull up a piece of information now, and the phone is slow enough already. Yes, just a few more seconds is going to make me look bad and raise serious eyebrows. The double menu press with the stock lockscreen had already caused me problems, which is why I had lock2.0 installed, which at least required an on-screen tap after the menu press instead of two menu presses successively (which seemed to happen way more often).

A case isn't a bad suggestion. I hadn't seen any in stores that I really cared for, but I'm going to check out some of the suggestions in this and other threads now that I have exhausted other acceptable alternatives. Oh, and wait for apps to be upgraded or new ones written that give more selectable control over what buttons and how unlock the phone. Or give up and figure out how to write one myself - for now, I don't have the time to learn the development environment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones