• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why is my newly rooted EVO so slow, laggy and has terrible battery life?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to rooting and I found an article on "Unrevoked." I basically just wanted to run some "root only" apps - especially free wifi tethering/hotspot. So, using Unrevoked 3 was painless and I installed Barnacle which didn’t need a custom kernel and works like a charm.

But my main questions are

1) Why is my EVo so slow and laggy!? I have a number of apps running that are supposed to speed things up - Green Power Premium, CPU Tuner, Tasker (which I have done nothing yet because I am finding it difficult to use). I also use Android Assistant to BOOST things and clear up space and clear caches. This is my second EVO as the first was defective and was replaced by this NEW one. The stock UTC Sense UI was so fast - then I switched to Launcher Pro and since then HUGE lag - and it says it's supposed to SPEED things up!

2) Battery life keeps getting worse and worse. Why? I've tried to keep up on a number of battery threads concerning the EVO - and I know the basic stuff like disabling WiFi, GPS, live wallpapers, etc, etc - but then if you do all that you don't get what the EVO is supposed to do? I have some apps that are supposed to help switch profiles as to help disable services I'm not using when in certain situations (like Tasker - but still is not setup correctly) and Green Power Premium. What else can I do? I unplug my EVO with a full charge in the morning. Within 10 minutes it's down to 94% without any usage. Then a couple hours later doing some light websurfing and App searching via the Market my batter is down to 80%. This is with WiFi/GPS/BT OFF. If I continue to use the web or tinker with my phone's apps my batter is down to 56% by noon. If I do some texting and Facebooking my battery goes down to about 30% by 3pm, etc. A battery should not be draining this fast. There has to be some app or some way to increase battery power. The apps I downloaded to help with battery life all had 5 star reviews saying it tripled their battery life. So why is mine so bad?:thinking::thinking:

IF anyone can help that would be great. Yes - remember my phone is newly ROOTED with Unevoked 3 with no custom kernels or ROMs or anything.

Thanks
Jerry

P.S. And I'm running out of room on my phone to install apps - I've moved as many as I can to SD card...is there a way to get back any unused/secret space on my phone?

I would recommend trying out a Sense ROM (Kings Ultra R2, Myn 2.2, MikFroyo 4.5, Koni's ESII). These are all Sense-based ROM's that have the bloatware removed and are optimized to run quicker and more efficiently. One of the benefits to rooting, aside from being able to run applications that you couldn't otherwise, is that you can eliminate programs that Sprint installs that suck battery life. Read the stickies and post questions. People are more than willing to guide you through the process. You'll pick it up in no time and will quickly find a ROM/Kernel that works for you.

Then there are a number of Kernels you can run (check out Netarchy's Kernels for Sense ROM's - there's CFS, BFS, HAVS, etc. that perform differently on each phone). You can also use SetCpu to set profiles to conserve battery power.

Check out this link for more info on ROM's and Kernels.

As for the space issue, sorry, can't help with that.

Reactions: justjerry
Upvote 0
Start looking into custom rom's...kernel ...then a2sd and be selective with what you put back on. You are going overboard with those control apps and honestly....that's most likely where the issue lies

Yeah you're right - I am going overboard with "control" apps. I've already got apps2SDpro and have been moving apps to SD. And I've started to weed out the control apps.

thanks

Upvote 0
How often are you clearing the cache? This could be one reason why you are getting so much lag. The cache is saved so your phone can recall the information faster. I use the CacheMate app on my phone and set it to clear cache every 12 hours and my phone runs very smoothly.

Well I was doing it like once per hour manually. Now I installed CacheMate and set it to 12 hours. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. The only thing I'm worried about with my phone being rooted and adding custom ROMs, etc., is that can it all be undone and returned to stock if needed? Does it void my warranty? My TEP agreement with Sprint?

Yes it does void warranty. Download ROM MANAGER from the market and make a back up of your current Rom so you can flash back to your original rom. Oh and yeah having the phone loaded with apps will drain battery and loose the task killers because all they kill is your phones performance.

Upvote 0
I would recommend trying out a Sense ROM (Kings Ultra R2, Myn 2.2, MikFroyo 4.5, Koni's ESII). These are all Sense-based ROM's that have the bloatware removed and are optimized to run quicker and more efficiently. One of the benefits to rooting, aside from being able to run applications that you couldn't otherwise, is that you can eliminate programs that Sprint installs that suck battery life. Read the stickies and post questions. People are more than willing to guide you through the process. You'll pick it up in no time and will quickly find a ROM/Kernel that works for you.

Then there are a number of Kernels you can run (check out Netarchy's Kernels for Sense ROM's - there's CFS, BFS, HAVS, etc. that perform differently on each phone). You can also use SetCpu to set profiles to conserve battery power.

Check out this link for more info on ROM's and Kernels.

As for the space issue, sorry, can't help with that.

Thanks for the info. I'm just too much of a beginner to even know what a kernel or ROM is. I know my way around computers a bit but not phone OSes. ROM- read only memory? I don't want to screw up my phone - is there a Rooting/ROMs/Flashing for dummies? Does all this void my warranty on my EVO? What if I need to send it back to Sprint to get it fixed at some point? Can I return it to stock after doing all this if need be?

Just curious. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. The only thing I'm worried about with my phone being rooted and adding custom ROMs, etc., is that can it all be undone and returned to stock if needed? Does it void my warranty? My TEP agreement with Sprint?

To my understanding rooting does void your warranty, which may in turn void your TEP. It's very easy to unroot though, as shown here.

Upvote 0
+1 to reading the dummies guide. also the second sticky http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html has some terms you should know as well.
one thing i would recommend is that you not use rom manager. do everything manually from recovery. rom manager has been buggy in the past. get accustomed to using your recovery. it will save you tons of headache later if you were to run inot any problems.

as for battery life:
do some research on kernels start by reading ref#3 in my sig. also read up on setcpu http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html will also help out in battery life.

i have pretty good battery life and that is all without all those apps that you have.

hope that helps.

Upvote 0
+1 to reading the dummies guide. also the second sticky http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html has some terms you should know as well.
one thing i would recommend is that you not use rom manager. do everything manually from recovery. rom manager has been buggy in the past. get accustomed to using your recovery. it will save you tons of headache later if you were to run inot any problems.

as for battery life:
do some research on kernels start by reading ref#3 in my sig. also read up on setcpu http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html will also help out in battery life.

i have pretty good battery life and that is all without all those apps that you have.

hope that helps.
I agree with the battery life. Install enough programs to manage all that stuff, and you're still going to suck as much or more power by running all those apps all the time as you would with any other process that was constantly running. Even a cache manager is news to me. I clear it when flashing something new but that's it. I don't even use a task killer or app manager. Froyo does a pretty good job of managing apps anyway, and I'm getting good battery life without any of that stuff.

I think everyone gets a little obsessed with battery life, but the truth of the matter is that if you modify some things and get a kernel that plays nicely with your phone, you might get a few more hours out of it, but it's probably not going to turn 8 hours of battery life into 80 hours of battery life.

Upvote 0

You can unroot your phone and install the stock rom. Sprint *Shouldn't* be able to tell if you were rooted in the first place. Of course most of the time when you take your phone in something is broken anyway so they may not be able to tell regardless.

Read, Read, Read, and ask questions. Listen to folks like Mr. Ed, they know what they are talking about. They haven't steered me wrong yet. ;)

Upvote 0
Well...he is already rooted so warranty void is an after thought. Like mentioned you Can unroot. Also.... a2sd and apps2sd are two different things. I suggest looking into a2sd and ditching apps2sd

All I found was a2sd Froyo Root - is that it? What makes it different from the apps2SD pro I have? Don't they both just move apps to the SD card?:thinking:

Thanks!!
Jerry

EDIT: So it apparently will let you install apps to SD that other apps2SD apps won't let you? SHould I set the default install location to SD, Automatic or Internal?

Upvote 0
All I found was a2sd Froyo Root - is that it? What makes it different from the apps2SD pro I have? Don't they both just move apps to the SD card?:thinking:

Thanks!!
Jerry

EDIT: So it apparently will let you install apps to SD that other apps2SD apps won't let you? SHould I set the default install location to SD, Automatic or Internal?

A2SD by darktremor, involves partitioning the SD, and making an ext partition. Its not just an app you download.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [HeroCDMA] (01/29/2011)

Personally, while some say its more difficult, I like repartitioning /system /data and /cache instead of the A2SD method.

[ MOD ] Custom MTD Partitions by Firerat (resize Cache, Data & System) - xda-developers

Here's a link on that, the only thing you have to watch out for is making sure your system partition is big enough for the rom you're using. The 250/125 default setting should be good for most custom ROMs(but still check or ask before you flash a new rom to make sure)

Upvote 0
To my understanding rooting does void your warranty, which may in turn void your TEP. It's very easy to unroot though, as shown here.

I'm thinking I want to un-root and start from scratch before re-rooting again. I read the instructions for unrooting and it had 2 different sets of instructions - one for those who use Unrevoked Forever and those who did not. I used Unrevoked 3 -but not the Forever version - so I follow the instrcutions for those who have NOT used unrevoked forever?:thinking:

Thanks guys!!
Jerry

Upvote 0
just follow the unrooting section in the dummies guide. it is basically two steps regardless of how you rooted ealier.
1)you need to download the unrevoked s-on tool
2)also you need the PC36IMG file for your hboot

step 1:xfer the s-on tool to the root of your sd card and flash it like you would a rom
step 2:rename and move the PC36IMG file over to the root of the sd card. (make sure that it is name correctly)
goto hboot (power off then hold and press power+vol down)it should automatically scan for the PC36IMG file.
it should do its thing and reboot the phone a few times and you are done.
unrooted!!!!

this is a simple version of what is in the guide. use the above to help understand what is going on. any questions feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
just follow the unrooting section in the dummies guide. it is basically two steps regardless of how you rooted ealier.
1)you need to download the unrevoked s-on tool
2)also you need the PC36IMG file for your hboot

step 1:xfer the s-on tool to the root of your sd card and flash it like you would a rom
step 2:rename and move the PC36IMG file over to the root of the sd card. (make sure that it is name correctly)
goto hboot (power off then hold and press power+vol down)it should automatically scan for the PC36IMG file.
it should do its thing and reboot the phone a few times and you are done.
unrooted!!!!

this is a simple version of what is in the guide. use the above to help understand what is going on. any questions feel free to ask.

Ok what I don't understand is how to 1) "flash" something 2) rename the PC36IMG to what?

thanks again for the help!

Jerry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones