Why is voice-to-text so inaccurate?Support

1. moshock

moshock Active Member

I don't feel this new S4 is as accurate as my previous Droid Charge was. Any idea why that'd be?

Advertisement
    :
  2. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Voice-to-text will never be very accurate at all. Even those voice-to-text systems such as Dragon Naturally Speaking isn't very good, marginal at best. We aren't on the USS Enterprise D here where you can say "Computer..."
  3. shankomatic

shankomatic Member

I noticed the same thing. My Bionic did a far better job.
  4. lalec

lalec Member

I've noticed the same thing. It has been completely useless on my new S4 but it works reasonably well on both of my Samsung tablets.
  5. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

It nails it for me most of the time.. Actually more accurate than texting usually.
  6. dlphnfn

dlphnfn Well-Known Member

I already made a post about this too. Go into settings > call. Then turn off noise reduction. See of that helps at all. It is like a night and day difference for me.
  7. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Well-Known Member

Mine seems pretty accurate most of the time. Noise reduction is on on mine. Where it seems to get hung up is using un common words. It decides that a word that is more common is probably what I was trying to say. At least that is my experience.
  8. moshock

moshock Active Member

I used mine a lot today. It's unbelievably hit or miss. I can literally say a sentence with 20 words in it, and it nails it perfectly. A half hour later I try responding to an email and say 20 words, and it picks up 4?! It's baffling. I'll have to try the noise reduction feature, but wouldn't disabling have negative effects for listeners on the other end of calls?
  9. moshock

moshock Active Member

someone else try this sentence...

"does this top need to soak for a week?"

my droid charge nailed it. my galaxy s4 has gotten it wrong 10x straight.
  10. WalkaboutDavid

WalkaboutDavid Well-Known Member

For me, the S4 has been a whole lot less accurate than my other devices. It is a shadow of my Nexus 7.
  11. sugaman1

sugaman1 Active Member

:mad::mad:I too say the S4 is not very good at it. I use it on my S3 all the time while driving and it get's it right but the s4 just sit's there with the mic blinking and then says retry it's not good at all only in a perfectly quite environment does it work if you have any noise in the background it will not pick up what your saying Sammy or Google need to fix this!!!!
  12. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

does this top need to soak for a week

Done first try
  13. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Well-Known Member

The question should be how is it bad on the S4 and great on the Note 2.

I don't have a S4(still trying to decide) but I did have a Note 2 for a few weeks. I could be completely hammered and slurring my words to no end and the thing was PERFECT every time. It was one of the most impressive things.

The software is the same, Google is the same..so it has to be the microphone itself that is not as good as the Note 2.
  14. clickerman

clickerman Member

Does this stop need to soak for a week

First try - one error
  15. moshock

moshock Active Member

I used it all the time while driving with my Droid Charge, but it's useless now. And I drive a damn Cadillac that is very quiet, and even when turning the fans/radio completely off, it still doesn't work well.

It does work well (most of the time) in a completely silent room, but that's hardly a common scenario when I need to use it.

And that "does this top need to soak for a week?" just worked perfectly when I tried it. But I couldn't get it to work in over ten attempts before. And I bet it magically won't work an hour from now. The inconsistency is painful. :(

I'm still adamant that something is wrong here. There is no way this Samsung Galaxy S4 should be blatantly inferior to my 2+ old Samsung Droid Charge.
  16. radiocaf

radiocaf Member

Personally I've had a better accuracy with the S4 and S-Voice than I have with Siri, and any others I have tried, it's impressed me.
  17. uesat

uesat Member

It literally took me 6 tries. It would not understand me when I said "top".
  18. moshock

moshock Active Member

I tried using this several times while on the road today. This thing does not work in my car, period, ever. I'm so upset about it right now! I used my talk-to-text ALL THE TIME with my Droid Charge while driving! AAARRGGGHHH!!!
  19. moshock

moshock Active Member

Can someone else try this while driving with even the slightest fan blowing in the background? Does it work at all? I'll say 20 words and it'll pick up like 4. I tried removing my case just to see if that'd help, and it wasn't any better. I just want to know if mine is maybe defective, or if this is just how it is for everyone?..
  20. rb80923

rb80923 Member

Does this top need to soak for a week gave me "Does this stop need to soak for a week."
  21. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Mine nails it most of the time. Works well in the car also. However, evidently my cop needs to soak for a week.

BigRedGonzo
  22. sugaman1

sugaman1 Active Member

I agree something is wrong for sure My S2 and S3 work flawless with voice to text and I drive a Big Rig I have to turn off the engine for it to pickup my words .....:mad:
  23. dgold82

dgold82 Well-Known Member

Same problems here. Works pretty good in a quiet room but any noise at all throws it off big time. I've found that if I put my finger over the noise cancelling mic while I speak it works much better. I really don't want to turn noise cancelling off since I'm really impressed with the sounds quality with it on.

The voice dictation with my Galaxy Nexus was much much better than with this phone. That is pretty much the only thing I miss from it (well, that and the notification bar/pull down).
  24. moshock

moshock Active Member

I'm right there with ya. So what hole are you putting your finger over, and where exactly are you talking into the phone?
  25. dgold82

dgold82 Well-Known Member

The noise canceling mic is at the top of the phone by the headphone jack and I cover that with my finger. I speak into the phone towards the bottom - the voice mic is next to the microUSB port.
    moshock likes this.