• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why no smaller 3G tablets?

bob60626

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2012
Chicago
So, I have an Optimus V and a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. I like both but neither really satisfies me by itself. The V is just a bit too small for my giant hands and the 5.0 is a little, LITTLE bit buggy and obviously doesn't have data. A 7" tablet is just a bit too big to carry around for me.

I rarely talk on the phone and since I have the cheap VM plan still I usually do longer calls on my computer through Google Voice. Most people that would reach me for whatever reason could just as easily send a text or email. A 4.5"-5" 3G tablet would be almost perfect. Samsung makes 3G and wifi 7" tablets so the concept of having both is already there. My SGP has awesome battery life, if it still had 3/4ish of that life with a data radio I'd still be fine with it.

A GSM 3G SGP with HDMI and tv reception (damn you Samsung for not putting this on all SGPs! :D) on that TMobile $30 plan would be absolutely banging! Or, since this will never happen, what would a good phone substitute be? Remember, part of the charm of smaller tablets is that they don't cost as much as big phones do.

first listing title

"Dell Streak 5 16GB, Wi-Fi + 3G (AT&T), 5in - Black"
$(KGrHqEOKogE32rYlC(vBOFGIvwGLQ~~_35.JPG

5in tablet | eBay

Upvote 0
Those are probably the closest things out there, but not quite what I would want. I've read (hearsay, admittedly) not so good things on the Dell and the Note is just far too expensive for me (and I want to stay away from contracts).
I'd think a tablet would beat out a large phone in price and battery life as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones