• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why should I put a rom on my Hero?

Toyzruskid1976

Jan 19, 2010
Dayton, OH
I've tried digging through this forum, and others, searching out the answer...

Why put a rom on my phone? I have compiled a ton of book marks on how to do it safely, how to back up the phone, how to turn it back to the original Sprint version... (doesn't appear I can brick my phone)

But my question (And I can't find the answer) is why would I want to put a rom on my phone (I'm leaning towards Fresh)

I put CFW on my PSP because I wanted to play old school video games (tons of fun)

I jail broke my touch because I was beyond pissed that I bought the device NEW and the second I plugged it in it wanted money to put the latest update on it (WTF! I can see after having it for a year, but fresh out of the box.. no thanks)

What mysteries of the world are unlocked when a rom is put on a Hero (specifically Fresh, since it seems like the bugs are minimal) Do you just become a cool kid with it? <grin> I'm all about doing it because I'm geeky like that, but after digging and digging I really can't figure out what I'm getting myself into other than speed.

Sorry for being a newb.

I was more curious if it unlocked applications you can't normally use on the Hero..

I was also concerned if it would effect anything with Sprint in regards to "will they find out?"

I did find something on one of the sites that went over what was added and what was removed.

There was a comment I liked in regards to buying a new car and being handed the option to have a "pimp your ride" option... I'll take the Pimp Your Ride for 100 Alex ;-)

Just trying to find the best walk through... found a normal plain jane one, but can't find one that uses the pre-kitchen

Upvote 0
If you take the vacuum cleaner apart to make it more powerful or see how it works, and are not afraid of breaking it, then root.

If you use the vacuum cleaner as it was intended, then do not root.

But really, if you ask this question, then you shouldn't root. You root for a specific reason. I want it faster, I want new roms, I want to tether, I want to remove apps, or any of the other 8K posts about what you can do with rooting.

But the answer to the question of "Why should I" is, Ask sprint if you should root.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the input... done deal... a heck of a lot easier than I expected. Ran pre-kitchen, did a diagnosis, one click rooted, nandroid backup, loaded fresh, installed fresh, done.

now that's the speed I was hoping for. no more stupid NFL or Nascar apps that I couldn't remove. Very nice!

I still get the error message when the phone starts about Google Voice not working correctly... don't remember ever installing it. hoped the rom would fix that error, but I guess I have to do some research.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I wanted speed and better preformance. The apps2sd was the major reason for me. I have and 8gig sd card. I wanted to use some of that space for system memory. My phone is running Fresh 1.1, it is quicker between and in apps as well as sharp in appearance. I like it a lot. Tethering has interested me but not a real factor on rooting or not. I have had my Hero since Oct. and just rooted 2 days ago. I gave it a lot of thought. I am happy though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones