Why So Many Background Programs Running???

Last Updated:

1. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It seems like whenever I play around on the phone for a bit and the go to close my apps with TaskPanel the following are always running even though I didn't touch them:

Alarm Clock
    Corporate Calendar
    Calendar
    Settings
    Messaging (even though I have not used it at all)
    and one other that isn't showing up right now but was something like mobile.????.???? or

Some of these I don't care if they're running (I assume the Calendar is running since I need it to run for my Google calendar widget to work), but why is Alarm Clock and Corporate calendar always running? Is there a way to turn these off?

Advertisement
  2. John-Fox

John-Fox New Member

I wonder the same thing. What is this, Windows Mobile (don't flame me, I know this is not WinMo)? My calendar keeps running, too. I have no widget for it. I would like to know why apps are opening up and running when not set to be doing so.

3. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

wigits count as apps so you would have to remove the wigits

4. DGalt

But what widgets would be causing Alarm Clock and Corporate Calendar to keep opening up?
    Could CalWidget being doing this?

5. elucas730

elucas730 Active Member

I would only worry about it if there is an issue with speed and responsiveness, which I have not noticed despite running a ton of apps at the same time.

6. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

The Android OS doesn't auto-close the application when you exit (unless the App has a "close option"). It keeps them running until it needs the space and then starts cancelling them when its low on memory/high on CPU, etc.

7. DGalt

Yes, but if I close them with Task Killer and then go about doing other things they'll come back even if I haven't opened them. Meaning something must be using them. I just don't know what.

8. mooshu47

mooshu47 Active Member

Do you have alarms set up in the Alarm Clock? Do you have the Corp. Calendar set up to sync with a server? If so then those apps probably need to run. If not, I don't know.

9. DGalt

I haven't even opened either of them. ever. lol

10. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

My Verizon store suggested downloading a taskkiller app to kill off those processes you've gone in and exited, but still running, if you're not going to use them again any time soon.

Seems odd, that exiting something, eg. contact, doesn't kill the contacts processs??