• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi connected not working at home only

joyttw

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
Today, my galaxy 3, my son's galaxy 3, and my husband's note 2 all stopped working on the home wi-fi. It SAYS it's connected and the signal is strong, but no email, facebook, internet etc is working.

The wifi works in other locations (mcdonald's, church, etc),but not in our home. Our laptops and other son's iphone work just fine. It is only our android phones having an issue, and only at home.

After a couple hours of googling, I tried the WiFi Fix app -- didn't work. I tried the WiFi Static app -- didn't work.

The only thing I think will work is changing the static ip settings, but I don't know what to put. After seeing a thread regarding this on these forums, even that didn't solve someone else's issue. I am NOT tech savvy so I can't handle complex directions and going to the command prompt etc.

The only solution I found is someone in May 2013 with this issue just waited 3 days and it just started working again.

I'm hoping someone can figure out based on our circumstance (all 3 android phones suddenly having an issue) what the solution might be. I'm guessing it's a router issue, am I right? How would you help a non-techy person with this?

Thanks!

Static IP:

Look in the router and see what IP addresses it's using. (Can't tell you where without knowing the router make and model, but look around - you want the dynamic IP address range or the DHCP range.) Pick an IP address well away from that range - for the last number only. The first 3 numbers have to be the same.

So if the router is using 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100, use 192.168.1.200, 201, 202, etc.

Use 255.255.255.0 for the mask and the router's address for the gateway. If you can't find the DNS address in the router or in one of your computers, use the gateway address for both (or one if you're asked for only one).

I doubt that this will solve your problem, though, it's just the numbers you need to set up a static IP address. As far as what the problem is, that's difficult to say without being there. You've done the first things I would have tried, see if the phones can connect to another wifi router (they can) and see if another device can connect to your router (it can).

Try forgetting your home wifi connection, then setting it up again (password should be all it asks for). If that works on one phone, it should work on all of them.

@mikedt:
If both laptops and an iPhone can connect, the last thing I'd suspect is a router problem.

Upvote 0
@mikedt:
If both laptops and an iPhone can connect, the last thing I'd suspect is a router problem.

I've actually had it a couple of times with Chinese TP-Link WiFi routers, that are quite popular. They appear to be working correctly, but refuse to give certain devices internet access even though the WiFi is connected to the device. And cycling the power off on has cured them. Last time was in a hotel, where I got them to lift the corridor ceiling tiles to reset the thing..because I couldn't connect my Lenovo laptop, while my Lenovo phone could connect...go figure.

Could be an issue where a router will already have a couple of devices connected, and it's not routing correctly for any additional devices that might subsequently be connected. Friend had a TP-Link router, where Transmission bittorrent would instantly crash it. As soon as started Transmission the internet would go dead, although WiFi was still connected. But it was only the Mac version of Transmission that would do it, and not the Linux version.

Upvote 0
I did try to forget the network and add it back; tried resetting the router, nothing worked. However, like the one other poster back in May who waited 3 days, my phone's wi-fi miraculously started working about an hour after I posted last night. I haven't checked the other 2 phones, but I'm going to assume they are fine now too. Weird!

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem. From what I've gathered it may be some of the battery saving features of android. Yes it sounds weird but here's the scenario:

I unlock my device and the network is "connected" and as I try to use the internet, it doesn't load. After about five minutes it starts to work. I think the connection stays, but not entirely, because I changed some of my power saving settings and it started working again.

Another possibility is that the router only allows access to certain os's (I.e. some public places only allow windows).

Other suggestions here are much better but this is just another, less likely factor..

Boyo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones