• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi disconnects and reconnects since move to 4.2.2

dr4sight

Sep 6, 2011
Saugerties, NY
I know a few threads have addressed this but I don't see much in the way of answers there.

Recently my Galaxy Tab 2 7" device "upgraded" from Android 4.1.1 to 4.2.2. Since that time it has constantly been losing its wifi connection despite a strong signal from my router. It does reconnect 5 to 20 seconds later but this is really annoying.

I've made sure that the settings don't allow for the disconnection when the unit is sleeping.

If this is some flaw in 4.2.2 I would hope the designers are made aware of it.

The usual answer is resetting the device or the router. But this stuff doesn't seem to help.

Are there answers to this problem which did not happen when the OS was 4.1.1?

Reactions: Thareejan
I know a few threads have addressed this but I don't see much in the way of answers there.

Recently my Galaxy Tab 2 7" device "upgraded" from Android 4.1.1 to 4.2.2. Since that time it has constantly been losing its wifi connection despite a strong signal from my router. It does reconnect 5 to 20 seconds later but this is really annoying.

I've made sure that the settings don't allow for the disconnection when the unit is sleeping.

If this is some flaw in 4.2.2 I would hope the designers are made aware of it.

The usual answer is resetting the device or the router. But this stuff doesn't seem to help.

Are there answers to this problem which did not happen when the OS was 4.1.1?
I have not had any problems with Wi-Fi and 4.2.2. I use WPA not WPA2 or any of the advanced modes to keep compatibility with some of my older equipment.

Upvote 0
It may be too soon to declare a miracle cure but this looks promising.
About 3 hours ago I turned off the Smart Stay setting and since then the wifi seems to have remained connected.
Hopefully that's all it takes.

This setting is already off. But like the original poster, this happened right after the 4.2.2 update. Seems to be after the device is asleep.

Hope someone offers so more solutions as this is annoying.

Upvote 0
Just about my own experience-I use the tablet at work to stream rhapsody to a poolside bar.Worked perfectly until I upgraded to 4.2.2.Could not use rhapsody anymore,and the wifi connectivity was horrible,at best.After reading comments from users and trying all the fixes,it was still no-go.I downgraded to 4.1.1 using odin,and my wifi is back,and rhapsody has had no problems for the past 5 hours. I think there's a glitch,but like I say,I can only vouch for my own experience-hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'm still using 4.2.2 and I've actually had better luck after forgetting my wifi and reconnecting. When I open the tablet now, it comes up and says I have now connected without having to manually turn on and off like I did. I stream Netflix on it and this has worked for me so far.
I probably did the same thing, tapped on "forget" and then reconnected, reentered the password, etc. I don't remember if I did or not.

Anyway, I use my Tab every day all day as a streaming media device, with 4.2.2, and it never drops the connection.

I'm using WPA2 PSK security on the router. WEP security of course hasn't been supported by most wifi devices for at least a couple years.

Upvote 0
I probably did the same thing, tapped on "forget" and then reconnected, reentered the password, etc. I don't remember if I did or not.

Anyway, I use my Tab every day all day as a streaming media device, with 4.2.2, and it never drops the connection.

I'm using WPA2 PSK security on the router. WEP security of course hasn't been supported by most wifi devices for at least a couple years.

Yeah same here...WPA2 PSK. My wife has the same tablet and same update but hers seems to drop the connection more than mine. I forgot and reconnected last night so hopefully that will shore it up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones