• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Darkeligos

Jun 14, 2010
Indiana
Does anyone else have find their browser giving this error often while on WiFi? I have to disable and move to 3G just to get my connection back. This is bullshit.

hW2y5.png

YES! The captivate seems to have trouble communicating with my Cisco APs at work. I have had no issues with other wifi routers. My Cisco APs will connect, but only transmits data about 20% of the time I connect to it. Range/signal is not the issue. It could be related to the CCX protocol Cisco uses?

Are you connecting to a cisco AP?

In any case, I think its a software issue, which is why I'm not exchanging it. My friends Captivate has the same issue at work with the Cisco APs.

Upvote 0
I will probably unroot it tonight and take it back tomorrow. It seems that if I am at one-bar range when I enable wifi it will place me in 3G and wifi, allowing me to browse one webpage and then giving me the error.

The phone has no clue what it is doing, I can tell. I am connecting to an at&t 2wire gateway which usually has great strength when accessed from the laptop and Wii on the other end of the house.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edit: just lost connection while submitting this post and I'm sitting right on top of the gateway.

Upvote 0
Oh boy, after unrooting and cleaning off all of my files and programs...it seems to have fixed itself. I may have to install each one, one by one just to see if an individual app is causing the problem.

It could be that I set up a repeater in the middle of my house; but at the moment I'm not positive if it is working since I can't connect to it's individual SSID. Gonna investigate!

Upvote 0
Ok guys have some new information for you.

Today I tested 2 captivates (new unmodified) out of the box at work.

They would connect to the wide open Cisco APs (no security), but would only rarely trasmit data to any application.

On my 2WIRE ATT wifi away from work (WPA2 security), both connect fine and have no issues.

The DHCP server saw both devices fine, the firewall did not block them, but it showed once an IP was leased, the device ceased communication, almost like the wifi radio stack got hung up after getting an address). The phones had IP/DNS/etc set fine automatically. It def seems more specific to Cisco APs then to encryption, considering this network is wide open/broadcasting/etc.

I'm starting to wonder if Cisco's CCX protocol (is that right?) could be the culprit here. Hang on to your hats folks, were gonna get this issue knocked out.

Upvote 0
Yeah, wifi is busted. It randomly disconnect or loses connection (loses IP address) and you have to toggle it off and on before it will work again.

This phone has too many problems. Maybe I should exchange it again for a 5th try!!

Edit: I too did a packet trace and you right, with a Cisco AP it gets the lease and then just dies, like the stack locks up or something. But the problems with the home AP are separate problems, it works for a random amount of time before just going deaf.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones