• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi issues....is it android???

aleicgrant

Jun 3, 2010
so I previously had an evo that I ended up getting rid of for two reasons.

battery life and very poor wifi reception.

I went back to an iphone 3gs and then iphone 4 ( I am not a fanboy)

so now I have decided to go back to android just to give it a shot.
while I see the battery is better, the wifi signal is still abysmal for me.

either iphone always had 4 to 5 bars, the evo and now the vibrant, one to two max.

anything I am missing in terms of settings to get better wifi?

ok so then what rationale can you use to explain and iphone have 5 bars and the vibrant 1?

btw I am using a Linksys E3000 router with WPA2 for security

Hey there, hope I can set your mind at ease a little. First, a different topic, lets just talk about bars in general. It appears the Vibrant does not report bars correctly, especially the 3G signal bar. Either that or it has a hard time picking up a 3G signal. Regardless, even with zero bars I get 3G service and I am able to make phone calls.

Next, wifi bars, I've noticed on my phone the wifi bars suck also, I get maybe 2 bars if I'm lucky. But you know what, wifi still works.

So I have a question, even with 1 bar, does your wifi work? If the answer is yes, then don't worry about the bars so much. Ignore them, the algorithm is probably off.

*by the way Steve Jobs himself admitted that the algorithm to every iPhone's signal bar was being computed incorrectly*

Bars don't mean anything, as long as you get wifi, thats all that should matter.

So again, one last time, if you are getting wifi at accetable speeds, then ignore the number of bars. A firmware upgrade will probably fix the algorithm that displays the number of bars. Enjoy your phone.

If you answer NO, NO you don't get any wifi at all, zero, browser doesn't work, nothing none ziltch...you get the point. Then exchange your phone.
PS.... you may want to update the firmware on your wireless router. That should also improve any signal coming from your router. Router companies are always releasing new firmware. Infact I just flashed a new firmware on my wireless router a few days ago.

Upvote 0
I'm no RF expert but I gained about 100 ft of useable range with the directional antenna on the left. It used to end at the kitchen, now it goes across the backyard to the other side of the pool where I smoke my stogies. :cool:

Hawking Technologies

attachment.php

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
I'm no RF expert but I gained about 100 ft of useable range with the directional antenna on the left. It used to end at the kitchen, now it goes across the backyard to the other side of the pool where I smoke my stogies. :cool:

Hawking Technologies

3 Questions:

1) whats a stogie?
2) whats that white looking thing hanging on the left
3) You have that strange contrapment hanging inside one of your walls in your home?

Upvote 0
So just to be clear, all that indignation over me hanging that "contraption" on a wall in my home was your way of saying that you want one? Is that right?

I guess it came out wrong, I actually do want one, I guess I meant if I hang that up on my wall people who come over will be like "what the heck is that" sorry didn't mean anything negative.

It would be cool to have something like this that boosts cell phone signals, like a little mini cell tower.

Upvote 0
Well I'm all about function over form. People are free to hide their wireless routers behind their computer monitor, but I've got the strongest signal on the block bar none.

As for cell phone boosters, I'm thinking of trying a zBoost repeater... T-Mo and AT&T both suck at my house.

YouTube - zBoost Setup

nice, any reviews on that? any word if it really works? so if thats boosts my signal, I'll get 3G through my house?

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's the idea. Where ever you get the best signal, most likely on your roof, is where you mount the main antenna. That signal gets repeated throughout the house and your phone latches onto it. The better the signal your phone gets, the longer the phone's battery life gets as well, since it doesn't have to transmit at high power to look for a signal. Reviews on Amazon look very good if you filter through the noise of the not so technically inclined.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack.

Upvote 0
Reactions: SamsungVibrant
Upvote 0
I appreciate the comments from everyone. I will say that wifi on the iphone is very fast compared to the vibrant

I am using WPA2 Personal. channel width 20mhz only and channel 11

I know this probably made sense at the time he/it/they typed it but.....

WIFI is WIFI b/g/n it doesn't taste/work any different/better if its linksys or starbucks or whatever the WIFI box your hooked up to is called!

Now as to whether or not your device has issues with where your at [inside a box 2 doors down etc ] too many variables exist for any one here to say why....

Now if you want to talk about the difference's in devices....then your on the right track. But the standard called WIFI is not the problem.

Even the software that reads the standard part set thats inside the phone can affect it.

Just my 2 bits !

:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones