• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi problem Samsung Galaxy Europa 5

nitram1000

Lurker
Jul 16, 2011
Hi guys, hoping you can help.

I am about to return this phone unless I can fix the wifi problem.

If it connects to my wifi it will usually lose a connection after 30 mins or so. But the main problem is, that it will refuse to reconnect to my router unless I unplug my router and reboot that. It will see my router and allow me to enter WPA key, then it just says connectint/disconnecting/connecting/disconnecting.

I have tried different things such as running my network unsecure with no key, no fix as it sill does it. Downloaded various wifi 'fixers' off market place that do nothing.

My router is fine as my brothers HTC Desire Z connects and reconnects just fine, hell even my n95 connects flawlessly.

Is there anything else I can do before I return it? Or is this just common with cheap android phones?

Thanks for any help!

Mart

The fact that other Android phones do not have this problem doesn't guarantee that the router is not to blame. Go into your router settings page (check your router's manual for the correct IP number to enter for this) and look for a setting that talks about assigning IP numbers. There should timeout setting (e.g. on mine it is set to 30mins).

It may be that after 30 mins the router is trying to give the phone a new IP number, and for some reason the phone is not receiving it. I think I had this problem the first time I used my Galaxy 5, but without changing this setting, the phone had no further problems.

What you could do is change the IP change timeout to something like an hour, and see if it still drops the connection after half an hour. If it only drops after an hour then you have your culprit.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the reply. I think you are referring to the DHCP lease time?

It was set at forever, so changed to 30 mins lease and it let me connect for 15 mins then dropped connection.Tried it with 1 hour lease and it gave me 10 minutes.

Looking at the list of devices on my router, my brothers android comes up as "android_" my pc has a PC name, but this phone has no host name, just the MAC address. So, I'm sure it must be the phone now. Going to return it today and go back to N95, thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones