wifi problems with htc hero

Last Updated:

1. happlemills

happlemills New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got a htc hero today. When I first got home with it, I used the wifi to connect to my router. Now it says "unable to start wifi" Have I done something or do I have an issue with my phone?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

try restarting your phone (power off, then back on). I occasionally have an issue with WiFi not working/connecting, and restarting has always fixed it.

3. happlemills

I had already tried that once.....I just tried it again and the wifi still won't work. Anyone have anymore ideas????

4. jdawg0024

jdawg0024 Well-Known Member

I also have wifi issues on my hero, not the same as above mine are as follows. I can see my home wifi and connect to it and have it give my phone an ip address, but for some reason it only works for a few minutes then stops. Still says Im connected but when I try to browse the internet the browser tells me that it couldnt find the web page. (Like there isnt any data connection). When I go to my settings this is what I see.
    Speed: 54 Mbps
    Channel: 1
    Signal Strength: Excellent
    Security: WPA2-Personal
    IP Address: 1xx.xxx.x.x (actual IP address there)

I just connected and ran a speed test (from the speed test.net app) and I got great results, but after only browsing the internet for a few minutes it was no longer working and I couldnt run a speed test from the same app.

5. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

Maybe try assigning it a static IP address if you router allows it. If it shows connected I am guessing that it's connected but something on the router end is going wrong.

6. randsom

randsom Active Member

yeah - same problem - anyone find the fix yet?

7. happlemills

I have this issue quite often...My service provider told me to dial *228 to update the phone....It always works for me.

8. jdawg0024

jdawg0024 Well-Known Member

I changed my security to 128bit WEP from WPA-PSK and all is perfect now

9. randsom

randsom Active Member

If only I could remember my username and password to my router! Might have to use the reset button!

10. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Well-Known Member

When I connect to my home router it works for a few minutes and then knocks the router and internet off-line. I have to unplug the router to reset it every time.

11. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

I have read where many people have had issues with there WIFI. I am one of those that has NEVER had an issue. ok i did when i installed an app or two that tried to take over the wifi.

I would make sure my router is secured, and then I would delete any wifi's I have connected to out of my HERO, and then reconnect back to your router.

the problems I have seen others have is that they have the same name as other routers (default ones) and they bounce back and forth to the others and to theirs. and that will cause slow speed issues, or of the weak signal to other router can cause no access to net.

or you have accessed others around with diff names around yours and it keeps bounceing around again to the other routers and not staying connected to your router. so again delete the connections to all routers and start over with just yours. and also look at the apps you have.

I have 2 networks running in my house, I have found it will connect to one and then latter see that in jumped to the other one.

12. randsom

randsom Active Member

The above fix doesn't apply to me because I am only near and connected to my home network - no others. Once I get into my router, I will try and disable some security. I fear this because I want my network secure. I currently allow my router to only accept known MAC addresses. Do we have MAC addresses on our Hero's?

13. Geoponic

Geoponic Well-Known Member

I can connect fine.

But if my phone is 'asleep' for a long period of time i'll lose my connection.

I go into settings and connect again.

A tolerable nuisance as i never really notice wifi has disconnected dues to hspda

14. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

dissable the mac addressing in the router, then when you connect you should see your mac address listed in the router, write it down and then resecure it and add the mac address you just obtained.

15. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

randsom, yes we have mac addresses. Menu>Settings>About Phone>Status Look for Wi-Fi MAC Address, if it does not show up, turn on Wifi.

16. JimR123

JimR123 Well-Known Member

Exactly the same problem I have. It's really annoying me now. I'm getting the problem on WEP security too.

17. ssyates

ssyates Member

This has been happening to me since I got my Sprint Hero. I just turned the WiFi OFF on my Hero.

One of the reasons I got the Hero was for the WiFi. :mad:
    My router is a LINKSYS WG54S, and has been exceptionally reliable. Anyone got any ideas how to fix it? :confused:

18. Tisnatch

Tisnatch Member

Yeah, overall I think the wifi on the Hero sucks. My wifi is only stable if I'm in the same room as my access point. If I walk out of that room all bets are off. Whereas my laptop and iPod Touch can maintain a solid signal everywhere in my apartment I need to be within 15 feet of the AP to maintain a signal on the HTC Hero. Ditto with our APs at work. I'm sitting 15 feet from one right now to test it and the signal fades in and out. The only solution I've found is to never turn the wifi on and rely on the Sprint data network. Does anyone know if there's a way to improve the range on the phone (e.g. screw with the power settings maybe?)?

19. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Odd. Do you have a weak router, or is there a lot of other routers on the same (or close) channel nearby?

I pick up WiFi better on my Hero than I do on my laptop, including in my house

20. Tisnatch

Tisnatch Member

At home there are only two routers in range to pick-up. At work there are a bunch since they're intended to cover every floor and every room. That said, my Hero's signal basically doesn't work unless I'm standing in front of one of the antennas. Whereas all the iPhones (we use AT&T as our mobile provider) have no problems on our work wifi network. I always just assumed the wifi chip was underpowered on the Hero.

21. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Heres a strange situation...Just pointing out something. I have a Sprint Airave device in my house as the Sprint cell signal is VERY weak here. The Airave device, for those who are not familair with it, uses your cable companies internet connection to make a "mini cell tower" in your house.

So I was thinking about the tethering capabilities of the hero as a back up for my internet.Then I realized! NOPE! I gotta have cable internet to make my cell phone work! ROFLOL