• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi & Redirect Pages

sealuva

Oct 26, 2010
I am not sure where to post this thread but since I have a Bionic now I will add it here. I can connect to WiFi anywhere but a setup with a Redirect Page. So to clarify it further. I see a WiFi signal and connect to it with no problem. Now at work we have no password set to connect to the WiFi, but you do have to be redirected in your browser so you can add the username and password there. My problem is it doesn't take me there. It just gives me an error like if I do not have internet access or connection. I had this problem with my old Eris running 2.1. Now that I have my Bionic on 2.3 it still has the same problem. I've tried Dolphin Browser and the one I currently have of Boat Browser. Of course the default browser does not work either. It just irks me that my bosses Iphone connects no problem and gets him to the redirect page, and any Iphone for that matter, but none of us Droid users can get this to come up. I've read threads with no real answer or fix. All takers are welcome.

I've seen the same thing - what you need to do it try to refresh the page (and sometimes you need to close the browser and then reopen it / close that particular window, and let it try to load the default page in a new window, which should then redirect you correctly.

I just did this at a Chick-Fil-A WiFi a couple of weeks ago, and it worked.

Upvote 0
Android has always had issues with pages that use some sort of certificate to authenticate you to a connection. I did a lot of reading about it back when I first got my DROID to figure out an alternative, and there did not seem to be one.

If you can find the actual address of the page (either IP or else the actual name like
Code:
http://auth.yourcompanydomain.com
try typing it manually in the broswer and see if it can get you there instead.

Also, note this: At my University, there is a 'student' WiFi AP that is wide open in a particular building, but my phone (both, actually, my DROID and my BIONIC) will not hold a connection when connected to it. I cannot explain why, but they do not like that particular router at all.

both phones, however, have had no problems at Chik-Fil-A WiFi, Starbuck's, McDonald's, and of course, my home WiFi....

Upvote 0
I agree - but it has been an issue for a long time now. I'm looking for the original posts I was reading a couple of years ago regarding Authentication pages that used some sort of special certificate that was driving some people bonkers. As soon as I find it / them I'll post the link(s) here.

Thanks I'll keep my eye out for your post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones