Root Wifi rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by linuxmel, Nov 19, 2010.

1. linuxmel

linuxmel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I mainly want to root my droid to be able to use the(wireless) wifi teathering. Can someone recommend a good rom which will support this feature.
    Thanks so much. ;)

Advertisement

2. hikersc

hikersc Active Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I had the same quest but struggled with finding a WiFi tether option that would work with Access Control (MAC filtering) and WEP. I finally found the right combination of kernal and program build that would work the way I wanted it to. Here is a link to the thread:

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/216509-wifi-tether-various-kernels.html

Please note that sucessful wifi tethering is more associated with the kernal than the ROM. Also, the build for WiFi Tethering (2.0.5 pre-7) is not the one that you will download from the Market as it is experimental. You must download from the website and manually install this build.

Hope this helps.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    it is not in the ROM per se, it is just in rooting itself as then you could download Wireless Tether. but as hikersc said, some kernels - not really ROMS - can affect this (though some ROMS include their own kernels). but being rooted alone will essentially open up this ability.

4. linuxmel

linuxmel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly, I can just perform root, and then install Wireless Tether and not have to do a custom rom at this time. I guess my question is, will the stock FRG22D support this? Looks like your response says yes :) Thanks again. Can't hurt anything trying.

5. hikersc

hikersc Active Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Yes, I have WiFi Tether working well with the stock (FRG22D) ROM. As I mentioned, I did have trouble getting all the wireless tether features working with the stock kernal so I flashed a 1000 Mhz version 1.6 Slayher kernel so that I could utilize the Access Control and WEP features. I also used the experimental WiFi Tether build that I have mentioned above.

6. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    there are also existing threads that talk about what kernels are confirmed to work with wifi tether IF you want to OC with a different kernel.

7. blondebro7

blondebro7 Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Optometric technitian
    Utah
    question along with wifi teathering i have been using easy teather and wirless teather with great sucsess on my D1 but i have the fascinate now but i swear its not quite as fast. is there anyway to up my teathering speed? i doubt it..