Wifi rom

Last Updated:

1. linuxmel

linuxmel Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I mainly want to root my droid to be able to use the(wireless) wifi teathering. Can someone recommend a good rom which will support this feature.
    Thanks so much. ;)

Advertisement
  2. hikersc

hikersc Active Member

I had the same quest but struggled with finding a WiFi tether option that would work with Access Control (MAC filtering) and WEP. I finally found the right combination of kernal and program build that would work the way I wanted it to. Here is a link to the thread:

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/216509-wifi-tether-various-kernels.html

Please note that sucessful wifi tethering is more associated with the kernal than the ROM. Also, the build for WiFi Tethering (2.0.5 pre-7) is not the one that you will download from the Market as it is experimental. You must download from the website and manually install this build.

Hope this helps.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

it is not in the ROM per se, it is just in rooting itself as then you could download Wireless Tether. but as hikersc said, some kernels - not really ROMS - can affect this (though some ROMS include their own kernels). but being rooted alone will essentially open up this ability.

4. linuxmel

linuxmel Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly, I can just perform root, and then install Wireless Tether and not have to do a custom rom at this time. I guess my question is, will the stock FRG22D support this? Looks like your response says yes :) Thanks again. Can't hurt anything trying.

5. hikersc

hikersc Active Member

Yes, I have WiFi Tether working well with the stock (FRG22D) ROM. As I mentioned, I did have trouble getting all the wireless tether features working with the stock kernal so I flashed a 1000 Mhz version 1.6 Slayher kernel so that I could utilize the Access Control and WEP features. I also used the experimental WiFi Tether build that I have mentioned above.

6. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

there are also existing threads that talk about what kernels are confirmed to work with wifi tether IF you want to OC with a different kernel.

7. blondebro7

blondebro7 Member

question along with wifi teathering i have been using easy teather and wirless teather with great sucsess on my D1 but i have the fascinate now but i swear its not quite as fast. is there anyway to up my teathering speed? i doubt it..