• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WiFi tether DHCP server no worky?

crazydog

May 20, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
So I'm trying to use Wireless tether for the first time, but none of my devices seem to be able to pull an IP address and such from DHCP....they're all just getting 169 addresses.

I only have two WiFi devices to test this on (laptop running windows 7 + iPhone), and they both have the same problem.

Any suggestions? I've tried different ssids/channels/encryption on/off, access control on/off and I'm seeing no improvements.

Wireless Tether also never lists the devices in the connected/authorized clients list.

I installed the app that was provided with some of the root instructions, then updated to the version in the market.

Here's my settings right now:

Wifi Encryption is disabled
SSID is Testing123
Channel is 8
Access Control is off
LAN network is set to 192.168.3.0/24
Client Notification is none
Update check is on
Wake lock is off

Hmm....I killed shopsavvy, and now my iPhone is asking for a username + password (username?) even with encryption off...I've yet to test it on the laptop.

Well, reinstalled, and that went away.

I killed everything, and hey lookie, it worked.
Time to kill apps one by one...

Yay, I guess good :p
I killed these apps:
mobile package tracker
y5 battery saver

in THAT order, and it worked

I'm guessing it's y5....I'll edit this if I can narrow it down

Yup. Y5 Battery saver did it. ShopSavvy doesn't seem to hurt anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones