• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi Tether HELP!?

ohvzwguy

Nov 7, 2009
OH
android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Need a Walk through here.
here's what I've done.
rooted and installed latest version of software from site above.
I'm able to connect to computer via WIFI (adhoc connection) and all IP addresses are assigned correctly.
When I send a tracert, packect does not go beyond the default gateway.
Basically I'm not able to get an Internet connection using the 3g network.

Posted the same question on the support page of the link above, but have not had a response, and I know serveral people here have had success.

Please Help.

Have you tested with other machines? Try changing ssid/channel/etc., start and restart the tether app, and of course you should still be able to download 3g data onto the droid itself even when it's tethered. Check and make sure that works when you're connected.

When I had my first tether installation, I would toggle wifi on and off from the power widget to make it work. Sometimes, leaving it on made it work. It was unpredictable.

I'm running bugless beast rom which includes wifi, and it's rock solid.

Upvote 0
Have you tested with other machines? Try changing ssid/channel/etc., start and restart the tether app, and of course you should still be able to download 3g data onto the droid itself even when it's tethered. Check and make sure that works when you're connected.

When I had my first tether installation, I would toggle wifi on and off from the power widget to make it work. Sometimes, leaving it on made it work. It was unpredictable.

I'm running bugless beast rom which includes wifi, and it's rock solid.
tested on multiple machines (3) xp, vista, windows 7.
3g is working while tethered.

do you have a good link with instructions for this rom?

Upvote 0
It violates your terms and conditions, so YES. They can't prove its happening, so NO. Hope that helps. Do you have and input related to the actual question?

I wouldn't bet on it.

If, for example, your account shows a small amount of data usage over X amount of time, and then all of suddent your data usage skyrockets, thats going to raise a red flag on VZW's end. They may or may not look into your account.

There are stories going back a few years of people getting "busted" and being charged a whopping tethering fee after the fact, so yes, VZW can find you. Whether they want to and/or whether you "allow" them to, is another story.

With that said, its going to be a lot harder for VZW to "prove" you are tethering without a data plan, since there are a good many apps on the market that pull large amounts of data to make them work. For example, there is a NBA app out there where you can watch live games and/or watch replays of games. Imagine the amount of data that is being exchanged if you watch a game or two once or twice a week.

So even without tethering, the market has open the doors for large amounts of data to be exchanged.

However, don't say that VZW can't catch you....they can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones