• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WIFI won't connect

lyndsc79

Lurker
Feb 7, 2011
Hi,
My HTC desire used to work fine on WIFI but stopped working last week. I'm unsure if it stopped working before I installed the standard system update that had automatically downloaded. (Now on Android version 2.2)

It is not related to my router, as the problem is the same at home, at work and at my parents house. The WIFI turns on, see's the networks, tries to connect but just goes round in circles saying connecting... scanning... Disconnected.

I saw a post somewhere that recommended switching Airplane Mode on and off, I did this and it Obtained an IP address and connected - yay! But as soon as I went out for lunch and returned it could not connect again and the switching on and off of airplane mode since does not resolve the problem. :(

Anyone got any ideas? :thinking:

have you installed anything new lately? I had a similar problem. recently. Desire would not connect to either of my 2 different Wifi networks in different locations. I uninstalled 2 or 3 apps that I had recently installed and it mediately started working again. I never went back and reinstalled them to see if that was really the issue I was just relieved it was working.

A trick that used to work on my hero was clearing down the remembered networks not just the one you are connecting to the others as well.

otherwise it may have to be the dreaded factory reset.

good luck

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue connecting to a secure network. It would connect and work fine, but after a period of use the network would become "unavailable" resulting in a reboot before the phone would connect again. I overcame this by setting my network up as unsecure and turning on MAC address filtering. Now my 3 PC's Wii, 3xNDS's 2 Android phones and a Kindle all connect without any issues. The neighbours have tried to connect and fail. It may not be as secure as using WEP etc, but it does for my needs.

BTW, if you want to keep the neighbours amused change your network ID to "Police Surveillance Van." Then try keeping a straight face when they tell you about it. - I think I need to get a life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones