• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will a bluetooth 3.0 phone support a bluetooth 2.1 device?

surgerush

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2011
New York State
I have the Samsung Exhibit II which has bluetooth 3.0. The device I have is a handsfree car speaker thing, but it's 2.1. The phone WILL pair with the device, but as soon as the device is turned off, or I go out of range, it will not re-pair with the device unless I unpair the device and re-pair it every single time.

I was using it with my Optimus V perfectly, never had a problem with it at all, paired automatically every single time. I looked up as much as I could on the problem but I'm not getting a solution, it just will not stay paired. I can't simply just click connect, it won't connect, I have to un-pair and re-pair it every single time. I made sure I deleted everything off the device so it would only be paired to this 1 phone.

Any help would be awesome.

Well, you're just one bluetooth step away from backward compatibility: 2.1 works with 2.0 devices, but 3.0 will not with 2.1 devices. ;)

I think it matters more on what the device is trying to do, more so than a complete incompatibility.

My Evo 3D with 3.0 works with everything except a small thing with my car. And, from the Evo 3D sub forum, it's a '11 Chevy specific thing. I can't share my contact list with my car, else it has pairing problems. But other than that, audio is perfect.

He might have the same thing. So to OP: Pair your phone with your car, again. Then, when it asks for permission to connect to your contact list, deny it. You should be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones