• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will a phone connected to wifi use more data then on cellular.

RobF

Lurker
Aug 4, 2016
A few weeks ago I got a new pickup truck with onstar\wifi. I have my phone set to connect to the trucks Wifi when im in the truck. I have noticed that in the 2 and 1/2 weeks I have had the truck I have used almost a gig of data(onstar\att) and im not really even using the phone while driving. I have a Gig plan with Verizon and two phones on that plan and only use about 3/4 of that in a month.

My question is. Will a phone limit its data consumption when on cellular and use more when on WIFI. If so is there a way of tricking the phone into thinking it on a cellular network when it is connected to the wifi of the truck?

Most phones has the OTA and app updates set as 'Update on WiFi' or 'Download updates automatically on WiFi'. Also many apps like youtube has a data saving profile when connected to cellular network. I would suggest you check/change the update setting for OTA and Playstore and see if it makes a difference. If your Playstore is set to update apps on WiFi and you rarely connect to WiFi at home, then I would assume that many of your apps were due for update and that they all got updated since you started using the truck. This could happen in the background, silent and invisible.
You may also check how much data was transfered over wifi in your phone settings page (Data usage). Hope it helps.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones