• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Android Meet My Requirements?

sjdean

May 28, 2009
I thought I'd take the opportunity to put together a post from another forum that I've visisted.

I have a Nokia N97 which has sadly been very limiting. It's just about got to where it needs to be, but Nokia would have to pull something pretty special out the bag to get me to have another one. Even the N900 doesn't support Google Maps, doesn't have a Facebook Widget, doesn't have the Sports Tracker, the list goes on.

Im hugely hugely tempted by Android. Last year I suspected it would be the next big thing, and it is moving on at a pace, but while the NexusOne/Desire are both incredible phones, they do both seem like a compromise, what with having a mono only speaker and the Desire only being dual band or something, neither with any onboard memory.

Bear in mind Im looking at focusing on the NexusOne, some of these questions may be generalised questions about Android.

1) Does Android support video recording? When I looked at the HTC Hero last year, it was mighty fine, but very little on screen information. What is the max length video you can record in one go, and what is the night time memory like?
2) Onboard Memory - I hate memory cards. I'll have to grab a 16 or 32 gig if necessary, but Im surprised no manufacturer has tried to match Apple or Nokia and add at least 16 Gig in. Are there any upcoming phones that will have inbuilt memory?
3) Speaker Quality - The N97 isn't bad. Could be better, but at least it's stero, unlike the NexusOne and Desire with its single mono speaker in the back. Which Android device has the best speaker? Do any have stereo speakers? Am I just being paranoid, or can you live with the speaker?
4) USB Mass Storage Mode - I just want to plug the phone into my computer using a USB cable and have the memory card mount like I can with the N97. I've heard some issues. Is this still problematic, or is it OK now?
5) SIP Client - I want a SIP Client that integrates into the contacts. This seemed lacklustre in the past, but SIPDroid looks like it should fit the bill.
6) Sports Tracker - I need a usable and preferably online sports tracker, like, Sports Tracker for the Nokia.
7) GPS Turn by Turn Navigation - Bearing in mind, Im in the UK. I understand Google Maps is still in its infancy, and Im sure it will be excellent once all the bugs are worked out. I hear that voice directions aren't working yet for the UK. So any other recommendations that people would swear by?
7) DivX Playback - Is such a program available yet?
9) FaceBook/Twitter Integration - Is such a thing present yet, or do I need to be looking at a "Sense UI" device?
10) Exchange/OMA/ActiveSync Support
11) Multiple POP3 Account Support?
12) Multiple WiFi Wireless Access Point Support?
13) RSS Reader - Can you recommend one?
14) Music Player - Any good?
15) NexusOne or Desire?
16) NexusOne/Desire ORRR (given my requirements) Something Else?
17) If I went with the NexusOne, is ordering one from Google for delivery in the UK pain free?

Thanks
Simon

My thought process is that audio is probably most important followed by memory. I probably wouldn't go for any android phones yet if there was another one round the corner with say 16gig+ onboard memory to be released.

I also do want a decent enough inbuilt speaker on par with an N95 or N97, anything else probably is secondary to requirements.

But in order, I need a reliable gps navigation system for the uk, solid video recorder, music player, exchange and pop3.

Sadly there's only some things that can gathered from someone in the know, eg Video Recording, I hope someone can fire up a NexusOne, go to record a video, and tell me how long they can record for in one go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones