• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the 7+ be your first tablet...

Reprobate

Apr 17, 2010
....or are you underwhelmed? I got a chance to demo the 7+ at a local Fry's on the weekend. Tonight, Bestbuy had a Kindle Fire demo unit. Although I don't like the limitations of the Fire, it does feel nice in the hand and offers the most bang for the buck for the casual user. Overnight, it just became harder to throw down $400 for a 7" tablet, despite what the 7+ offers over the Fire. I will give the 7+ a little more time before I write it off, but for that price, I need to love it. The Fire has changed the game as expected. Hopefully it will get rooted soon so we can throw Honeycomb on it side load whatever apps we want. UPDATE: OK, I got a chance to play around with the 7+ for a over an hour at Bestbuy. Their demo display was less obtrusive than the one at Fry's. I really would feel a lot more comfortable paying $350 for this tab, but given how well it handled some of my favorite websites (i.e. xplay game reviews in HD), I can see myself getting a lot of use out of this device. Got to love the included Swype and the promise from Samsung that this will support Ice Cream Sandwich. I'd rather be getting a Tegra 3 for the price, but they aren't even out yet and it will be a while before there is enough software to take advantage of a Quadcore. Also, look closely at the Kindle Fire screen - you can see a grid of dots on the screen and with only 6.5gb of storage (1.5 gb of the advertised 8gb is taken up by the OS!) I'm now glad I didn't impulse buy one. OK, I've talked myself into it. The 7+ is a buy.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones