Will the droid 2 also have an encripted boot loader?

Last Updated:

1. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Like the motorola milestone does?

Advertisement
  2. BigMace23

BigMace23 Well-Known Member

Motorola has released this statement...

3. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so sure. The Droid 2 is so similar to the original Droid in so many other ways that I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same with the bootloader too. And we've already heard rumors that the final version will come with stock Froyo.

4. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

That statement above made it pretty clear from here on out that they will be locking the bootloader.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  5. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

except for the little tidbit about deviating in cases, such as with the DROID. I would imagine that the same "business" sense that led to the current droids non encrypted bootloader may very well apply to the DROID 2 given how they are the same phone (ok, look the same, different guts, but you know what I mean)

Optimistic, I know

6. woop

Yes I understand, but what they're saying is, they are changing their approach to that business style; that they did it once and deviated away from the norm with the Droid; and that now they feel it is better business to protect their phones by not allowing access to the bootloader. Its basically a "from here on out" type of statement.

7. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

But they said "when we do deviate," not "when we have deviated." That kind of implies they may deviate again in the future.

We'll see. Still waiting on an official announcement.

8. woop

That is taken out of context though. The rest of that sentence states when they have a business reason to do so. The Droid was done so to present Android to the masses. There is no reason to do so with the following phones unless they decide to change OS's.

This pretty much says it all: "we have currently chosen not to go into the business of providing fully unlocked developer phones."

9. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

What was their reason for deviating with the Droid?

10. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Active Member

the D2 and Dx will both be very popular so I am sure it will get cracked one way or another.

11. vagelisda

vagelisda New Member

The reason is,that multitouch support and some other functions,can not be used by motorola company in the states(because of apple or something).
    But that was the best news for droid owners,because moto completely unlock the device,and we have this huge droid community.i wish milestone will be unlocked one day,but since the milestone 2 is almost identical,i doubt it will ever happen...

Sent from my Milestone

12. vonfeldt7

vonfeldt7 Well-Known Member

Ya... I heard the Droid did terrible.. I mean, why go with the tried and true..

/sarcasm.

I really prefer Moto as a company over HTC (mostly quality wise/way better reception) but it looks like I will have to stick with HTC from now on. Damn.

13. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

hey guy im new here and just wondering what bootloader is

14. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

Obviously no one can answer that question yet. But I think most people assume it will have some sort of encrytion even though the original Droid did not. Motorola worked very closely with Google when they put the original Droid together. Google even gave out free Droid phones to developers at one point. We all assume it was Google that pressured Motorola to NOT encrypt the device. But the Droid 2 has been a Motorola venture (no major Google involvement). Therefore there isn't any reason why they wouldn't encrypt the device.

15. Apeman

Apeman Well-Known Member

A bootloader is used in all electronics with an operating system, and it is a low level piece of software that tells the system to boot the operating system.
    It is the first thing that happens when you start your computer/phone/PDA/gameboy

I really hope it is not encrypted, but I think moto is going to encrypt it. And I think that if Motorola wants to continue to be in the "Open Handset Alliance" and make Android phones, they better get out of the first decade of the 2000's and start working and building for the consumers.

16. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

I just really hope the Droid 2 will be in the wild soon, so we can get some bootloader confirmation, as well as some hands on videos.

You figure Engadget got a hold of a Droid X exactly a month before launch, and maybe they'll get the same treatment with the Droid 2. If the August 23rd date for the Droid 2 is accurate, then maybe we only have a week from today until we see one in action!

17. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

You can still root it, just no custom roms, right?

If so, it's not that big of an issue. The Droid 2 software looks great as is.

18. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

This might be a deal breaker for me. To be honest, really the only significant thing I want in my Droid that the Droid 2 has is the 512mb of RAM. Now that is indeed a pretty big deal, but no custom ROMs makes me sad :(

We've been spoiled by the Droid's amazing dev community.

19. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter anymore, since the Droid X just got rooted: We haz Rootz!

20. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Still cannot load custom roms though, this is only the first step. Still going to take more time to see if this goes any further. But this is great news nonetheless.

21. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

if it is locked and cant load roms that would suck for who ever does buy them... thats the fun of hacking phones

22. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

It was their first android phone. Im sure they are going to lock it down because for one main reason if they do that there is less risk of people bricking their phones trying to root and then complaining trying to get a replacement when they knowingly voided their warranty

23. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Yeah well custom roms or not atleast it allows you to remove all of the shitty bloatware verizon sticks on it

24. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Yep, I don't really care about loading custom roms, getting rid of bloatware is where it is at. The only time I care about custom roms is when 2.2 or any new update is out and I can get it early. I hope it happens but if not I will be fine.

25. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

And there was a tweet from birdman last night that said the exploit used was patched in froyo. So that means starting over for both devices.