• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the EVO beat the iPhone?

Weird. The plan with Evo is still cheaper than an iPhone plan and is for a better phone and network (in most places). The second and third points are subjective but hard to argue.

I never said it wasn't cheaper, but would you at least agree that you would attract more people if the monthly would be at 69.99 instead of 79.99? :)

But my point wasn't even which was cheaper, but whether the Evo will beat the iPhone in sales. Something that can be measured objectively later this year. Now my subjective opinion and question: If I think the Evo won't outsell the iPhone with plans at 69.99, why would I think otherwise if it went up $10?

Upvote 0
I never said it wasn't cheaper, but would you at least agree that you would attract more people if the monthly would be at 69.99 instead of 79.99? :)

But my point wasn't even which was cheaper, but whether the Evo will beat the iPhone in sales. Something that can be measured objectively later this year. Now my subjective opinion and question: If I think the Evo won't outsell the iPhone with plans at 69.99, why would I think otherwise if it went up $10?

This seems like a very valid point. Plus, so many members have proven that most people don't care about $10/mth (be in an evo surcharge, or the addition to get to the iPhone). A possible $20/mth savings is a much bigger deal, psychologically and in reality. It's part of the reason I started looking at the Evo in the first place, and why I've been wavering since the charge was announced.

Upvote 0
Hope I dont get Flammed for this...Nothing on earth is going to beat the iPhone. I'm actually typing this out on my 3Gs right now, because the typing on my incredible has an amazing amount it lag for some reason. However as an avid smart phone user I must say that Android has caught my attention in a big way. So users like myself that like evolution of technology will sway towards what's newer and a little different. But fan boys and girls will never even think twice about switching, EVER!!!

The iPhone is why we are all here, It changed the mobile game and paved the way for everything we use and see now. Don't get me wrong , there is always something bigger and better on the horizon, and I believe that is Android. But it will take a while to really gain the very average user that only see's there's an app for that commercials.

I for one love my 3Gs, however I'm a little bored with it. And I'm very tired of dropped calls, which is why I decided to try the incredible. I Wont get into why I'm going to return the incredible and grab the EVO. But for the short of things, the HD2 was one of the best phones I've ever used, even though it was unlocked and only used edge, and had WM 6.0, it was amazing. And now that Android is the OS on a very similar device, I can't look away. I will give Sprint a try and hope for the best. But the EVO or any other device beating the iphone? Maybe in the future, but not yet for the masses...

Upvote 0
I've never been an Apple fanboi, but after using the iPad for a month I can see why people are rabid Apple followers. It's elegant. It's easy. It's fun. I certainly can't say that for any PC I've ever had. They also have a great rep that's been around forever and from what I see once people fall into the Apple category they don't often come out.

I'll be picking up an Evo on release day for sure. I'm every bit as excited for this as I was for the Pre before release. The Pre let me down a bit in the hardware department, surely hope the HTC doesn't do the same.

As far as the Evo taking over the iPhones spot on it's own? No way do I see that happening. The market is too diluted with Android devices. I'm not sure the average consumer knows how Google/Android/HTC etc all interrelate.

Upvote 0
This seems like a very valid point. Plus, so many members have proven that most people don't care about $10/mth (be in an evo surcharge, or the addition to get to the iPhone). A possible $20/mth savings is a much bigger deal, psychologically and in reality. It's part of the reason I started looking at the Evo in the first place, and why I've been wavering since the charge was announced.

I'm not sure what you mean by most. But with 4 of my friends who planned to buy this device, only me pushed through when the $10 premium and the $30 extra for teethering was announced. One is still waiting for a "better phone" and three just bought the HD2 for T-Mo. So we will test both. And if 4G isn't worth the $10 premium, I'm going to give it back and just go with the HD2 for $129.99. Just remember that this is a mobile device, how much bandwidth do you really need at any one time? Especially since you won't be able to tether it to any device without the 29.99/month teethering fee.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean by most. But with 4 of my friends who planned to buy this device, only me pushed through when the $10 premium and the $30 extra for teethering was announced. One is still waiting for a "better phone" and three just bought the HD2 for T-Mo. So we will test both. And if 4G isn't worth the $10 premium, I'm going to give it back and just go with the HD2 for $129.99. Just remember that this is a mobile device, how much bandwidth do you really need at any one time? Especially since you won't be able to tether it to any device without the 29.99/month teethering fee.

HD2 has WinMo. That's automatic fail right there...LOL...but in all seriousness, I understand your point and can see where it would stop people from buying it.

Quite honestly I'd MUCH rather have an Android phone over a Windows Mobile 6.5 device that is going to be completely outdated soon. Trust me, I have a WinMo 6.5 device right now (Touch Pro) and I don't know how many times I've wanted to throw it out the window.

And to get it at $129.99, doesn't that require a 2 year commitment on T-Mobile also? On Sprint, you can become a Sprint Premier Member (can't remember what the minimum is for individual accounts) and get a full upgrade price for phones every year.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
HD2 has WinMo. That's automatic fail right there...LOL...but in all seriousness, I understand your point and can see where it would stop people from buying it.

Quite honestly I'd MUCH rather have an Android phone over a Windows Mobile 6.5 device that is going to be completely outdated soon. Trust me, I have a WinMo 6.5 device right now (Touch Pro) and I don't know how many times I've wanted to throw it out the window.

And to get it at $129.99, doesn't that require a 2 year commitment on T-Mobile also? On Sprint, you can become a Sprint Premier Member (can't remember what the minimum is for individual accounts) and get a full upgrade price for phones every year.

I agree with you. Android is the reason why I pushed through. But if I can't really fully utilize the full potential of the phone, why would I even pay a premium for it?

at 129.99 yes, you will be required to enter to a 2 year commitment with it. But that's the same thing with Sprint. You do have a yearly upgrade plan, but you still are committed to 2 years with them.

What I tried to rationalized with my friends who went with the HD2 is that you'd be paying $80 a month anyways with T-Mobile. Why not just suck the 199.99 up and get 4G at the same price? They were adamant, so at least I did my part. And we will compare speed, coverage and signal strength here in Houston and it's surrounding areas. :)

I bet they'll be sorry they chose HD2. And they don't have a 30 day money back guarantee that I might avail of, just in case they were right and I was wrong. :D

Upvote 0
I agree with you. Android is the reason why I pushed through. But if I can't really fully utilize the full potential of the phone, why would I even pay a premium for it?

at 129.99 yes, you will be required to enter to a 2 year commitment with it. But that's the same thing with Sprint. You do have a yearly upgrade plan, but you still are committed to 2 years with them.

What I tried to rationalized with my friends who went with the HD2 is that you'd be paying $80 a month anyways with T-Mobile. Why not just suck the 199.99 up and get 4G at the same price? They were adamant, so at least I did my part. And we will compare speed, coverage and signal strength here in Houston and it's surrounding areas. :)

I bet they'll be sorry they chose HD2. And they don't have a 30 day money back guarantee that I might avail of, just in case they were right and I was wrong. :D

Up to you, really how you justify it for yourself. That's your preference.

For myself, I don't really need to find justification for the $10 premium. I've paid that type of fee when Sprint first came out with Sprint-PCS Vision. That was their version of "picture mail" and messaging. It was horrible, but I still paid something like 30 bux extra for it. I'm not one to complain about fees like these. I've already given so much money as it is and I can afford it, so complaining is more of a waste of time for me, personally, than just paying the fee. Now, if I had no problem jumping from provider to provider (which, to me, is a waste of time), maybe it'd be a little different. Ultimately, I have to stay with Sprint because it's the only provider that gets coverage at my house.

I can almost guarantee they'll be sorry they went with the HD2. WinMO doesn't have an app store, so unless they have a lot of time to research through xda forums for the different customizations they want to do, they're going to get unhappy really quick. That's not even going into the unstable nature of Windows Mobile! Wait, they're paying 80 bux on t-Mobile? They're definitely going to regret it...LOL

Upvote 0
I never believed that the Evo can outsell the iPhone for any one year, especially now that they've added a $10 premium for the use of the phone.

My manger has an iphone and he's said paying 130 for AT T unlimited plan, I convince him to switch to sprint and get a evo. evo plan + 10 + hotspot still doesn't equal up to the iphone plans. So i thnk the 10 issue wan't be a big deal for people.

Upvote 0
Up to you, really how you justify it for yourself. That's your preference.

For myself, I don't really need to find justification for the $10 premium. I've paid that type of fee when Sprint first came out with Sprint-PCS Vision. That was their version of "picture mail" and messaging. It was horrible, but I still paid something like 30 bux extra for it. I'm not one to complain about fees like these. I've already given so much money as it is and I can afford it, so complaining is more of a waste of time for me, personally, than just paying the fee. Now, if I had no problem jumping from provider to provider (which, to me, is a waste of time), maybe it'd be a little different. Ultimately, I have to stay with Sprint because it's the only provider that gets coverage at my house.

I can almost guarantee they'll be sorry they went with the HD2. WinMO doesn't have an app store, so unless they have a lot of time to research through xda forums for the different customizations they want to do, they're going to get unhappy really quick. That's not even going into the unstable nature of Windows Mobile! Wait, they're paying 80 bux on t-Mobile? They're definitely going to regret it...LOL

Yup. I don't see why you would pay the same price for lesser capabilities.

I believe you are correct about us needing to justify the cost. For me it's not a matter of affording it, but paying for something I will not even use. But me and my buddies will experiment on it, and see if I did make the right decision or I could've saved money by going with the HD2. I'm almost sure that I will like the evo and Sprint services better since T-Mo's signal in my house fluctuates and most of the time I have to repeat myself simply because the people on the other side didn't hear me. If I have a better reception with Sprint, that's one nail to seal the deal.

Upvote 0
Yup. I don't see why you would pay the same price for lesser capabilities.

I believe you are correct about us needing to justify the cost. For me it's not a matter of affording it, but paying for something I will not even use. But me and my buddies will experiment on it, and see if I did make the right decision or I could've saved money by going with the HD2. I'm almost sure that I will like the evo and Sprint services better since T-Mo's signal in my house fluctuates and most of the time I have to repeat myself simply because the people on the other side didn't hear me. If I have a better reception with Sprint, that's one nail to seal the deal.

I pay for convenience and the "option" to have it when I want it. 4G's gonna be in LA soon, so maybe that's another reason. Put it this way, I pay $14 bux for a gym membership (any Bally's I want), but I do all my workouts at home now (p90X / Insanity), so no need for me to go to the gym anymore. I don't use my Bally's membership, but at least I have the option in the event I just want to hop on a treadmill or get on some machines for strengthening, or go to a class. Same thing here. Even though you may not be in a 4G area and you won't be using that right away, you'll have unlimited 3G downloading and you'll eventually have 4G at some point. Once you start you get your phone and line activated, call Sprint and tell them you're a new customer in a non-4G area. And just ask if they'd kindly find a way to waive the $10 fee until 4G is available in your area. I honestly don't see them putting up a big fight. If you have better signal in your house with Sprint, there really should be no question.

Upvote 0
See I'm not like that. I guess I'm just more practical than you. But again, I think it's whatever floats your boat. :)

It's not really that I'm not practical, I just don't like being limited by anything if I don't have to be. If that means $10 a month, so be it, but as long as there's no limitation when I'm paying that $10. I'm not somebody that really nickle and dimes things, but let's say we're talking an extra $100 / month, that would've been a completely different story and I would've been pissed off.

Upvote 0
In the US, it has been reported that android may already surpassed Apple:

Android US Market Share Passes iPhone, Says NPD Group | Maximum PC

Not quite yet unfortunately. Looks like the got the report info a little wrong in that it's not total market share but 2010 Q1 sales that Android beat out iPhone. I'd expect Q2 to be even stronger with the release of the Incredible and EVO though we'll have to see if the 4G iPhone bounces Apple back in Q4.

Upvote 0
everyone so far has pretty valid points. but me like many of u would be just as content with the phone that people say, "what kind of phone is that". even with my current hero, today i was at polock johnnys(restaurant) and the girl said "thats a cool phone, what is it?" and i replied "my hero lol". but the iphone came out and became the thing to carry along with crackberries. so let the iphone have its limelight, while its leeching off my 4g wifi hotspot :)

Upvote 0
Iphones are for drones. Flame me I don't care. Android is where it's at. The new Iphone UI will copy Android's widgets and toggle style on screen options and swear that it's different, new and revolutionary. You can keep your closed source crap and limit your "fans" browsing experience and say it's in their best interest anyone who buys a smartphone to be "trendy" deserves to be led off a cliff anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones