• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will this phone be considered low end by holiday season, meaning no gingerbread 3.0?

N1 has the same specs as this phone, Google will "take care" of its flagship phone, meaning SMV will get it also.

No it doesn't have the same specs. The SoC in the Galaxy S phones blows the Snapdragon away, not opinion, fact. Super AMOLED is also brighter and even more energy efficient, not to mention the Nexus' paltry 512MB of ROM vs this phones 16GB.

Upvote 0
Rooting is a form of hacking and it isn't like spreading peanut butter on toast. Not to mention they are usually broken to some degree or another or have a chance of bricking the phone. This is why there is such a large disconnect between regular people and stuck-up nerds living day in and day out in a forum. You can't even come in to ask a question without the locals acting vicious.

My advice is that tech in general, especially cellphone tech right now, is going at such a rapid pace that it is pointless to wait for the perfect one, because it will always be trumped in a matter of months. For someone with a lot of disposable income, get whatever, whenever. For regular folks, that two-year contract is a good cycle to follow, and paying outside of contract is crazy expensive because carriers can subsidize up to $400-500 of a phone's cost when bought with a contract. The Galaxy S (Vibrant) costs $700-800 on ebay or more , unlocked. If you like it, just get it.

I'll be holding back on my first Android phone until something nice looking comes out. For me at least, aesthetics and build quality are far more important, and you will get much more mileage from the looks of a phone than from the tech under the hood. Most Android phones from midrange to high will perform about the same right now and from my experience, an ugly, un-ergonomic, or squeaky phone that's falling apart can really break the experience and elicit tons of buyer's remorse, even if it did come with a 10 gigahertz processor. It also makes my life easier when choosing a phone, since I think most of them are ugly so there's usually just a couple to choose from. Because your feminine side is sometimes right about these things, and better with money.

Hopefully Samsung will release an Android variant of their Wave phone, because that thing is snazzy. Or someone roots it.

Yeah its not easy for someone that doesn't know how to follow instructions and Sure asking questions or for help isn't easy AT XDA forums that deal with HTC Devices but this is phandroid forums where people love to help others with anything regarding android in itself.

And who are you to say how difficult and risky android rooting is if you haven't even owned one and did one yourself? You realize you can't factually be speaking if you have never done it yourself right? I myself however have done it and when I started to put a custom rom w/root on my BH2 I knew nothing about how it worked so please don't try and act like you know much about the difficulty of root/ custom roms when you clearly don't seeing as you never owned one. Many Android users have done root/custom roms and become successful at doing so. Only one person in my past forum has ever bricked their phone, a Developer by the name of BH_Man or Eugene373 and it was because he was trying to give behold 2 owners a working android 2.1 rom or something along those lines. With BH2 owners being so grateful of his work they donated money to him to buy another BH2 so that he could continue.

You have no idea on how android is techwise , rooting and etc. Nor tech in general if you are honestly saying looks are more important than the specs it has.

Like I said before Rooting and Custom Roms are easy and the people of phandroid forums are helpful if you ever need it. Please once again don't try to act like you know when you have no idea. You assume its hard why? because its a form of hacking? and you assume people aren't helpful why?

Reactions: Puraw Wave
Upvote 0
How much weed have you been smoking HtcEvoLemon? Do you really believe that Samsung would be stupid enough to drop support for a phone released all over the world?

In any matter once I get this I will be upgrading to the HTC Vision which is due for October and known as the Flagship Android 3.0 device on T-Mobile ofwhich will be the first dual core device in the mobile world.

In other cases the thought of Samsung's 1ghz being low end is preposterous. Sprint will not release a 2ghz device this year may be motorola but not sprint.

This won't be considered low end for a while maybe mid range by summer next year but never low end.

Not Sprint, but perhaps Motorola? Why would you compare a cariier to a handset maker? I don't understand what you meant.

Upvote 0
Not Sprint, but perhaps Motorola? Why would you compare a cariier to a handset maker? I don't understand what you meant.

Not essentially meant comparing carrier to manufacturer but what I meant was that sprint isn't going to get a 2ghz especially before motorola releases theirs and I guarantee you sprint isn't receiving that motorola because Motorola has some special thing for Verizon.

Upvote 0
Not essentially meant comparing carrier to manufacturer but what I meant was that sprint isn't going to get a 2ghz especially before motorola releases theirs and I guarantee you sprint isn't receiving that motorola because Motorola has some special thing for Verizon.

I see. I agree with you. Probably under contract/partnership to release a certain amount of phones thru VZW.

Upvote 0
Also Samsung will not drop support for their second android phone on T-mobile within 6 months AGAIN

Also since this phone is released all over the world there should be tons of dev for it and you will probably see the same thing that you see with the g1 and getting their drivers reverse engineered thus the phone can continued to be updated as long as it meets the minimum requirements and even if it doesnt meet the minimum requirements there still may be a chance it can get the update via roms

Long story short dont worry

Upvote 0
Don't even compare the launch of the Galaxy S to the debacle that was the Behold 2. From day 1 it was never really all that popular, I have seen a total of 1 person with one since launch(I myself had a brief 2 week tenure with one and helped find root for it)

The Samsung Moment got a 2.1 update before the HTC Hero, that phone definitely sold more than the Behold 2, and hence warranted some support.

Samsung is putting a ton of eggs into the Galaxy S basket, especially considering they are launching on all 4 Major US carriers and in 110 countries around the globe, so they would be committing financial suicide by dropping support for this phone.

Just some food for thought.

Exactly right!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones