• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiMAX/4G/3G/CDMA and the HTC Supersonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there is a deployment plan (timing) for WiMAX. I saw the Walmart thing, but I am in central PA, Lancaster area and would like to find out when and if it will be coming to this area. I guess a call to Clear, or Sprint might get me that information?

I haven't heard anything about the Wal-Mart thing lately, but it would be GREAT if they did get involved.

So far there isn't any WiMAX here in Florida either, but I think Clear/Sprint is working as fast as they can to get it to us. In the meantime, the Supersonic will still connect to 3G, so there's no disadvantage over other carriers or other phones. You will also be able to connect to WiFi in your home, office, or anywhere there is a WiFi hot spot.

As far as WiMAX coverage in your area, you might be able to learn more at www.clear.com. I have faith that it will get here in a year or two and it could be a lot sooner than that if Wal-Mart does erect towers on their buildings.

Upvote 0
Very cool..thank you for the reply! I would think it would have both the WiFi and WiMax...otherwise you would be at a great disadvantage when not in a WiMax area. Sorry to hear you don't have WiMax in FL yet...but I think you certainly will as it looks like they have a lot to lose by not covering the map. Wouldn't want another carrier to slam you for not having coverage! :D

You know it's interesting...and I'm not saying it does or does not have merit...but when you Google WiMax...you get a wiki article...and in that article they make mention of the entry needing work. When you click on that link it takes you to a story about WiMax being stopped in Sweden because the moment they turned it on they started having people go to the hospital with various symptoms ranging from headaches to arrhythmias. If you run a search on WiMax health concerns you will get a return on this article...and more. Just an FYI.

Upvote 0
Since the Supersonic is going to be official soon, it seems like we should have an "Official HTC Supersonic Thread". I would like to see the first post in that thread continually updated with specs, pictures and the latest pertinent information. Right now, we're basically writing to three different threads and it's confusing as to where you should post.

Does anyone want to take responsibility to manage such a thread? I will volunteer, but I don't want to jump in there and create a new thread if someone else wants to do it.

Bill

Upvote 0
Sprint has decent coverage in my area, (central pa), but as always, the big deterrent is the number of family and friends that are already on Verizon. There is potential friction stirring up between Google and Verizon, and the nice phones that Sprint is getting, it might make sense to go with Sprint. Those are the things that I will be evaluating over the next month or so. I am on month to month, so I have some real flexibility.

I can be patient. My 3.5 year old 6800 is still chugging along. :eek:

pequeajim,

Are you aware of Sprint's mobile-to-any-mobile policy? If you're not, you can call from your phone to any mobile phone, from any carrier and it's just like the "family plan" on Verizon. You don't use any of your minutes. I believe any of your family on Version can add you to their list, so I don't see the difference. The other option - if it's someone you want to talk to and you know they're on Verizon, hang up the call and press "Call".

I really think the Supersonic is going to be something and you're going to want it. The beauty is, Sprint's rates are a lot less than Verizon's, so it's a win-win to go with the Supersonic.

Upvote 0
4g-coverage-map.jpg

Where WiMAX 4G Coverage is Available Now

I've been trying to nail down where WiMAX 4G is available and where it should be coming soon. Clear/Sprint isn't making it easy to figure out where they're going to deploy next, so this may not be accurate on the "Coming Soon" locations.

Available Now

Georgia: Atlanta, Milledgeville.
Hawaii: Honolulu, Maui.
Idaho: Boise
Illinois: Chicago.
Maryland: Baltimore
Nevada: Las Vegas
North Carolina: Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh.
Oregon: Portland, Roseburg, Salem,
Pennsylvania: Philadelphia.
Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Fort Worth, Killeen, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, San Antonio, Temple, Waco, Wichita Falls.
Washington: Bellingham, Everett, Kitsap, Seattle, Tacoma

Coming Soon

California: Chico, Merced, Modesto, Redding, Stockton, Visalia
Ohio: Dayton
Florida: Daytona, Jacksonville, St. Augustine
Minnesota: Duluth, St. Cloud
New York: Rochester, Syracuse
Oregon: Bend, Eugene,
Tennessee: Nashville
Texas: Longview
Virginia: Richmond
Washington: Aberdeen, Grants Pass, Klamath Falls, Medford, Snohomish, Tri-Cities, Wenatchee, Yakima.
Washington DC
Wisconsin: Eau Claire

Texas seems to be the clear (no pun intended) winner so far where 4G is already operational. As I mentioned above, the cities where the roll-out is underway seems to be somewhat of a secret. I would appreciate any input.

Yeah, but I don't see Houston in there. And in terms of population, Houston is the 4th Largest city in the US. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones