• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WinMo 7 vs Android?

Not to forget too, it has windows, IE, etc.. native, which have been very, very buggy and insecure over the years and still are.

Windows in an of itself has had some bad releases, but the last three were just fine. People having trouble with any of these were probably either having hardware troubles or just plain didn't know what they were doing. I am no expert coder, but I do know my way around Windows more than the average PC user. I have owned every version post XP and have never had issues. I really think that Windows gets most of it's bad rep from crap hardware not working right.

Now if we talk about Windows ME... wait... let's not... too painful!

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Exactly! Win Phone 7 is a brand new OS. It's not an evolution of Win Mo 6.5... they scrapped that and started new. As for hardware, the phones look to be running with Snapdragons which aren't exactly slow processors. Many Android phones are currently running equivalent processors.

I'm gonna bide my time with Win Phone 7. While I have no desire to own one, it might just surprise us with it's integration to Zune and XBox. Microsoft has a history of pulling rabbits out of hats. Of course anyone remembering Microsoft Bob knows that they've also tanked a few products too. I think I'm going to "wait and see"...

A faster processor is nice, but to check email, send text messages, surf the web, etc.. there really is no advantage.

Upvote 0
Sure there is. All those apps potentially load faster!

First, You don't need a 1 ghz or better cpu to load in less than 5 seconds an app that's only kilobytes in size. The app is not even large enough to create a bottle neck.

Second, The issue of heat with smart phones that have ghz cpus has not been totally worked out. For example, the Motorola droid2s which typically overheat and freeze up.

see:

http://androidforums.com/droid-2-support-troubleshooting/151916-screen-freeze-droid2.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-2-support-troubleshooting/204606-hot-phone.html

Upvote 0
Windows in an of itself has had some bad releases, but the last three were just fine. People having trouble with any of these were probably either having hardware troubles or just plain didn't know what they were doing. I am no expert coder, but I do know my way around Windows more than the average PC user. I have owned every version post XP and have never had issues. I really think that Windows gets most of it's bad rep from crap hardware not working right.

Windows 7 is far from fine.

see:

Blue Screen Error on Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7Windows 7 Crash: Blank Black Screen

Windows 7 crash and reboot automatically kernel-power error (Part 1)

Upvote 0
The concept of hubs is interesting, but I'm not convinced it is significantly better than things are now. Yeah, you can scroll through all of your contacts and see what everyone's updates from FB and Twitter are, but I don't find this to be an efficient way of keeping up. The concept of having all of these updates together may sound good, but in practice, I look at FB for different reasons than Twitter. I either want FB updates or Twitter, but not both all mashed together.

As for my Android phone, I love spending time on it. It's such a pleasure to use that I want to use it more and spend more time on it. In fact, it seems like my Android phone can already do things that a WP7 phone can do.

My first impression about WP7 is that it looks ugly. Big square boxes that are not even centred. I'm generally one who cares more about function over form. For me to say it looks ugly, it must be really ugly. There's some artistic value for having a symmetrical interface.

I do give WP7 credit for having interesting animations when you select something. However, those animations of the boxes going away like how a page in a book turns seems to take some time. If WP7 is supposed to save me time, forget about the animations and just get me to the next screen quickly.

Right now, I don't see the WP7 campaign to be really making much sense. I find the commercials funny, but they don't really tell me any features about WP7 that make me want it. For whatever reason, I'm just not swept up by the hype. I'm looking for some specifics and so far, what I've seen are a mix of things that are good, not so good and really ugly.

I'm going to go back on my Android phone now. I'm sitting comfortably on my couch, so there's no danger of me running into anyone. :)

Reactions: Drhyde and jroc
Upvote 0
Here is an interesting post on the Howard Forums by @billtab1. I am quite surprised at the cons, indicating the UI is hardly efficient.

New Phone: Samsung Focus

"I've had my Samsung Focus for one week now, and in my opinion, the phone nor WP7 are ready for primetime.

Pros:
- Superb user experience, great screen control.
- Integration created by Boxes is the best I have encountered to pull all applications together.
- Bright, clear, and eye-catching screen
- Large font and icons were very easy to see
- Integration to Outlook, Google and Yahoo were seamless and reliable
- Best calendar I have used

Cons:
- No message indicator lights, You have to wake the phone continuously to know if you have any calls, message or emails which drains on the battery.
- When receiving a call, you have to swipe the screen to get the option to accept call. Why is it so difficult to actually take a call?
- While on a call more than your set screen time, you have to wake the phone to swipe the screen to end the call.
- Accessing options while on call is very inconvenient.
- Can not control the alarm times. You will get waken up all night with message alarms if you want the phone in the same room.
- Shuts down for no reason. Received "Goodbye" message at least once daily.
- Battery time is unacceptable. 5-6 hours maximum while not using, much less if actually using the unit.
- Why is YouTube loaded if you cant even play most of the videos (no flash)?
- Once connected to bluetooth, you can not send the call back to handset (only options: speaker, mute, hold, add call)
- Landscape only available in some applications (ex. Facebook)
- Very limited applications. The applications that are available are not integrated and must be started (for example GoVoice for Google Voice only provides messages if you open the app and wait to load).
- Not for medium to large hands, the keyboard is very small and the majority of messages needed corrections
- Must use sidebar button to take pictures, which is nearly unusable with a thin phone skin
- The "Windows Certified" microSD card is a bunch of BS, card not swappable and must buy specific models that no one can seem to get a list of.
- Bluetooth will not discover my Jawbone ICON. It work's fine for my Kenwood car stereo."

Upvote 0

Overall I agree, Windows gets a bad rap. Their problem is they make software only so unlike Apple they cannot control the environment that they are interacting with which can cause problems with cheap hardware and of course people then blame MS. I will not agree that the past 3 have been fine. XP was very solid and 7 seems to be mostly OK but Vista was a bucketful of issues and is very similar to the ME release IMO. I am not a huge fan of some of their UI decisions on 7 but it has been going well for me. I have both Apple and PC computers in my house and I use PC's regularly at my work.

Upvote 0
Here is an interesting post on the Howard Forums by @billtab1. I am quite surprised at the cons, indicating the UI is hardly efficient.

New Phone: Samsung Focus

- Battery time is unacceptable. 5-6 hours maximum while not using,

Looking at the spec sheet, a 1500 mAh battery and the talk time is 6.5 hours...battery life on that phone is bad...The Droid X with a 1540 mAh battery the talk time is 8-9 hours..

Spec sheet says its using the older Snapdragon, where the newer one should help with battery life...

This is the problem I have with MS and some of the WP7 phones having the older Snapdragon in em and the phone being marketed as high end. That Snapdragon is on its way out as being current, so why use em?

My take on Vista: When it first came out I had problems with my MBR getting wiped out, problems with running apps, etc...I installed a 32bit one on HP PC a few years old.

I installed Vista 64bit on a PC I had custom built about a year later....no issues at all. Vista also had updates that made it more stable around that time too. So much so I got Win 7 at launch and still havent installed it yet.

So I would agree that even with Vista the hardware played a part in its bad rap.

Upvote 0
Vista was, and is a highly stable, very usable OS and should not in any way be compared to Windows ME, which was, on the disaster scale, somewhere between the Hindenburg and the Titanic.

All I know is that I was a long time XP user and I got my son a laptop with Vista. It was constantly having issues, sparked pop ups for every single action you took, behaved poorly between the admin and user accounts, was laggy and seemed to need constant reboots. Dell gave us a free upgrade to 7 and I did it ASAP. Ever since the same laptop has been extremely stable and the onslaught of pop ups that Vista had have been removed. No issues since. So that was from my experience and reviews I have seen of people with the same issues. It was an interim OS rushed to market and it showed.

Upvote 0
The iPhone - did it not come out on June 29, 2007? That was just over 3 years ago.

i disagree with you... they do not need 2 yrs like android to get up and running! They have had many versions of phone OS for years... this is version 7!!!!!!! Android was first released 2 years ago!

hardware spec is high.. because from all the past windows phone OS.. it is very hardware hungry (not efficient).. so that it dont look laggy and slow. Android can run on half the hardware spec.

Upvote 0
There are more than a few of us who are exceedingly versed with Windows and its many different flavors. You really need to do a bit more homework on its various "issues." Vista did bunches of things nicely, but stability was never one of them. In stability it ranked just a little ahead of 98 and that was just plain awful.

Here is where a bit of an education is necessary (once again). Vista was a "bucketful of issues

Upvote 0
Looking at the spec sheet, a 1500 mAh battery and the talk time is 6.5 hours...battery life on that phone is bad...The Droid X with a 1540 mAh battery the talk time is 8-9 hours..

Spec sheet says its using the older Snapdragon, where the newer one should help with battery life...

This is the problem I have with MS and some of the WP7 phones having the older Snapdragon in em and the phone being marketed as high end. That Snapdragon is on its way out as being current, so why use em?

The reason why WP7 is stuck with the older Snapdragon is the reason why the UI appears so fluid and smooth.

The graphics libraries are hard coded against the GPU, so optimized in fact, it may not be easily scalable. Every time is so synchronized to a certain speed that going faster or slower screws up everything. Do you understand why game consoles cannot go faster or slower? Because games are so written to set processing and GPU speed, they're not very scalable.

This is the reason why WP7 is not using the newer Snapdragons with the Adreno 205, why they're not using Samsung's Hummingbird, why they're not using Texas Instrument OMAP6.

Because WP7 supports only a Qualcomm, expect Samsung (despite the alleged BS that claims Samsung will put out more WP7 sets than others) to deemphasize WP7 in favor of Android and Bada, since Android and Bada are capable of supporting Samsung made chipsets not just Hummingbird, but the recently announced Orion. Samsung has been positioning itself increasingly as Qualcomm's competitor.

Watched how nVidia changed its tunes, its CEO once praised MSFT for the Zune HD supporting the Tegra. Now they are all praise to Google and Andy Rubin since obviously WP7 has left the Tegra 2 out, leaving Tegra 2 to bet its chances with Android. This does not escape both LG and Motorola, who are planning Android devices with Tegra 2.

Its one reason why Motorola, in bed with using TI OMAP, is reluctant in using WP7. Know who also uses the OMAP chips? Nokia.

Its also the same reason why WP7 isn't on ARM11 chipsets, leaving the growing low and middle end market.

If you have an OS that has to support different chipsets, you have two ways to pursue it.

1.) Go open source and "fragment" the kernel. That means each separate vendor and chipset maker can take the OS code and make their own version of the OS suited to their chipset, without adding code support for another chipset.

This is what is happening to Android.

2.) Stay closed and create a monolithic kernel to support all chipsets in one giant OS. This is the Windows model. The end result of this is that you end up with an OS running on a given piece of hardware, loaded with stuff intended to run on all sorts of different hardware that is never used. The end result of this model is a maintenance mess and the more hardware has to be supported, the greater the mess becomes. It will reach to a point that the OS will suffer serious performance issues, and the only way to fix that is clean out the extraneous code out of the OS by greatly subtracting hardware support to only a few strategic platforms. Preferably one.

This happened to Windows Mobile. It happened to Windows Vista. The clean up model is Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7. But the cycle can begin again and still create a mess down the road.

Once your hardware support list gets longer, so is your testing and development cycles. Again, you see this with Windows, which has long development and testing cycles.

Microsoft is trying to make a game console environment out of mobile. As you know, game consoles have static specs that have a very long life. Xbox 360 has the same spec up to know since its introduction back when?

Games are the most unscalable of all software and if the platform maker (Apple, Microsoft, Sony, whoever) decides to emphasize games in their platform, they're trapping themselves in a corner in the future because its difficult to improve your hardware without breaking some game eggs. Your platform becomes defensive as it gets old, because you're trying to support legacy baggage. Every time you write code,whether its GUI or games, that's coded highly optimized against GPU hardware, you risk the code not being scalable and portable to different platforms.

Reactions: Stuntman and jroc
Upvote 0
All I know is that I was a long time XP user and I got my son a laptop with Vista. It was constantly having issues, sparked pop ups for every single action you took, behaved poorly between the admin and user accounts, was laggy and seemed to need constant reboots. Dell gave us a free upgrade to 7 and I did it ASAP. Ever since the same laptop has been extremely stable and the onslaught of pop ups that Vista had have been removed. No issues since. So that was from my experience and reviews I have seen of people with the same issues. It was an interim OS rushed to market and it showed.

You problems could have stemmed from a wide variety of issues from poorly constructed drivers to misconfiguration or a lack of understanding about how Vista was supposed to work. I have no doubt that everything you say happened did indeed happen, however a single user experience does not make a logical argument to condemn the entire OS. The problem with reviews and the internet echo chamber is that a small percentage of vocal dissatisfied users can make a problem seem much greater than it actually is. The constant talk about Android fragmentation, for instance is a perfect example. Even the iPhone 4 "antennagate" does not to be so serious a flaw as to effect sales.

The truth is that Vista was not rushed to market. In fact it wad delayed to market in order to address advancing technologies and security concerns. MS begun development on parts of Vista (codename Longhorn) as early as 2002 and formally announced it in 2005. Vista was released worldwide in Jan. of '07. Since Windows 7 was not released until Oct. of '09, Vista's life at the top of the MS desktop OS list was over 2-1/2 years, which makes it average for a MS product cycle. XP was the anomaly.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, but it is neither logical nor conducive to intelligent discussion to state a sampling of user dissatisfaction as a blanket condemnation and failure of the entire OS. The statistical numbers simply to not bear that out. I have no doubt that many parts of the Vista OS that you believed to be shortcomings you find to be advantages in Windows 7 by virtue of your overall satisfaction with that OS.

But, we have diverted from the OP's original topic so if you wish to continue discussion on this topic you may send me a private message. Good day to you sir.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones