• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless charging?

I picked up the OEM Wireless Charging back (Found it on eBay for $35). I tried a few wireless receivers, but they DO break the water-tight seal. I also wasn't a fan of the bulge they caused in the back...they gave the back a cheap look (IMHO). The Samsung OEM Wireless Back is definietly thicker. Also, I tried a Spigen Neo Hybrid, Spigen Slim Armor, and a Diztronic case, and NONE of them will fit with the OEM Wireless Back. HOWEVER, the Belkin Air Protect Bumper fits like a charm and works perfect with the OEM Wireless Charging Back. I love the bumper being minimalistic, and still being able to see the back of the device. I think this is the perfect combo with the OEM wireless charging back. Frankly, even if I didn't have the OEM Wireless Back, I would likely use this bumper. Really enjoying it! Hope this might help a few people looking around for cases, etc

Upvote 0

That is a neat product. If I were still "on the job" traveling like I used to, that would be in my car.

Upvote 0
So after following this thread and researching online I finally got myself a wireless charger.
It's more expensive the anything posted here but I'm very happy with it so far

The charger
TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones
The Card
Tylt Qi Built-In Wireless Charger Receiver, Energy Card for Samsung Galaxy S 5
Good looking stand charges pretty quick of course not as fast as using the usb 3.0 but alot faster then I expected, it also let's me put the phone in a horizontal position but probably the best thing is that it still charegs through my Spigen Slim Armor Case reviews even say it charges through otterbox cases

Upvote 0
Looks like a good product from just viewing it.

However, I note that that advert does not include the charging pad.

For a cheaper price at $18.99 I bought this one which does come with the Qi Pad and it works. No need to buy a separate Qi charging pad.

Black Qi Standard Wireless Charger Charging Pad Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S5 | eBay
I received this one this week. Worked awesome outta the box. I originally used the battery pad I already had an it worked great. Then tried the one that came with it (which is thinner btw) and it works flawlessly as well. Very pleased.

Upvote 0

For a cheaper price at $18.99 I bought this one which does come with the Qi Pad and it works. No need to buy a separate Qi charging pad.

Black Qi Standard Wireless Charger Charging Pad Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S5 | eBay

so for 19 bucks this is all I need to charge wirelessly? I have a stock Verizon S5.

I put the card on top of the battery, plug my cord into the pad and thats it?

thanks a bunch if so...I will buy it as soon as I have confimation from ya'll

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
so for 19 bucks this is all I need to charge wirelessly? I have a stock Verizon S5.

thanks a bunch if so...I will buy it as soon as I have confimation from ya'll

If you go back and read... you will see both AZgl1500 & jmatteis said it worked great for them. ;)

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500

thanks a bunch if so...I will buy it as soon as I have confirmation from ya'll

That is totally correct. All you need do is plug the Qi pad's cord into the OEM 2.1 amp charger module and it is good to go.

Nothing else is needed. It is complete sans the charger module.

$18.99 gets you the Qi internal receiver, the external Qi pad, and it comes with a cord on the pad... all you need is the OEM a/c adapter.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500

That is totally correct. All you need do is plug the Qi pad's cord into the OEM 2.1 amp charger module and it is good to go.

Nothing else is needed. It is complete sans the charger module.

$18.99 gets you the Qi internal receiver, the external Qi pad, and it comes with a cord on the pad... all you need is the OEM a/c adapter.

Nice, thanks. And the stock cover closes perfectly?

Upvote 0
Hi all, for those who have the genuine wireless charging back cover do you know if the below case would fit?

Gel Silicone Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV i9600 + Free Screen Protector | eBay

I have three cases, and the rubber/silicon one is by far the best.

For the genuine Samsung wireless charging cover, do you know what the additional contacts do? I have the qi receiver that fits into the normal cover, but it only connects to two of the pins.

The current charger I have, works sometimes with the case and sometimes it doesn't, just switching on and off constantly. If this a faulty charging pad? Or is the case too thick?

Upvote 0
The current charger I have, works sometimes with the case and sometimes it doesn't, just switching on and off constantly. If this a faulty charging pad? Or is the case too thick?

I suspect that the charger contacts aren't staying put properly.

With my Qi receiver wafer, I had to place a small piece of business card stock over just the two contact pins.

Do not place it over the battery area, that will cause the case to be bulged out.

This has given me a permanent fix on my el cheapo $18.99 Qi charger and pad combo. Works every time. My S5 is nestled into a Speck CandyShell Grip case and no charging problems at all.

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

Upvote 0
I have this one, and it has worked like it should for 7 weeks now or more.

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

Do you charge yours overnight? First use last night. I noticed it was at 100% this morning but it stopped charging and was pretty hot. Does it stop when it gets to 100 the start again to keep it there as it goes down??

Upvote 0
Do you charge yours overnight? First use last night. I noticed it was at 100% this morning but it stopped charging and was pretty hot. Does it stop when it gets to 100 the start again to keep it there as it goes down??

Yes, I lay it on the charger when I go to bed.

In about 4 hours or so, it is usually finished, but if my eyes are still glued shut, it stays there until I get up for work at 0500 hrs. At that time, the phone is not even warm because the S5 charge regulator has cut it back to only a trickle charge and holds it at 100%.

The charge does not shut off, it only reduces to a very tiny trickle charge. Just enough to keep even with the phone's standby needs.

I never, ever worry about how long it has been on the Qi charging pad.
The trickle charge effect prevents any damage to the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones