• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether doesn't work anymore

novemberwhiskey

Android Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010
2.2 OTA, rooted via z4 root, superuser; wireless tether; deodex; revolution theme

Cannot get wireless tether to work anymore. It gets superuser permissions, My laptop detects the network, it connects to it, but I cannot load any pages and nothing is being sent up and down except for 3-4 kb.

Any ideas? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, resets, etc. My root seems to be fine.

Go to the root of your sdcard and make sure you have an Android.tether folder, in that folder you should have a file called "fw_bcm4329".

Missing this file will result in behavior similar to what you described (being able to connect, but not "actually" connecting).

Good luck
Can you elaborate upon this please? I have a "root" folder, and an "sdcard" folder when I open Astro, but neither have any files in them. I haven't seen your suggested fix before...

Upvote 0
Okay, go into Astro and what you're looking for is in "sdcard". There should be a lot of folders (some apps make folders here, and a download/downloads folder(s) will most likely exist, along with a lot of other stuff. What you're looking for is the "Android.Tether" folder in sdcard.

The file should be in the Android.Tether folder..

Upvote 0
I recently had the same problem (or, at least, experienced the same symptoms that you had seen). What worked in my case was to...
- go into the WT settings and disable Access Control
- exit the app (I only did this since I wasn't in a position to test the change until later, but I figured I'd mention that it happened, in case it -is- necessary :3 )
- run WT again and tap to start tethering, then attempt to connect to the tether from my laptop.
- The attempt failed (unlike the previous state where, as with you, it would appear to have succeeded, despite the WT app not noticing the conx)
- I made another attempt to connect from my laptop, and this time it appeared to succeed -and- WT noticed (it did the vibrate notification I have set, and showed the connection in the status bar).
- I went to the list of connected machines (in my case I got there by tapping the notification entry that listed my laptop), clicked on the enable access control doohickey in the upper-right, and then tapped the checkbox for my laptop's entry in the list (to authorize it).

After that, my laptop was able to work with WT again.

Upvote 0
Wireless tether for root on the market won't work with your galaxy tab. It creates an ad hoc wireless network which doesn't work with android devices. Some of the new beta versions referred to earlier are said to work in infrastructure mode which other android devices should be able to connect to.

Upvote 0
2.2 OTA, rooted via z4 root, superuser; wireless tether; deodex; revolution theme

Cannot get wireless tether to work anymore. It gets superuser permissions, My laptop detects the network, it connects to it, but I cannot load any pages and nothing is being sent up and down except for 3-4 kb.

Any ideas? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, resets, etc. My root seems to be fine.

I'd say it works better than ever! Give it a whirl...

TBH: Droid 3G Hotspot NVRAM Hack

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones