1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

won't stop downloadingSupport

1. rockmist

rockmist Member

I have had my phone for over a year and never had this problem before. I had a docx via email attachment I clicked on to save but it just kept apparently attempting to dwnload but after a few minutes I tapped save again. It then downloaded but the original save was still downloading. I thought it would stop but it's STILL downloading 2 days later!

I tried restarting, removing the battery, stopping the download in the download manager, turning off 4g and 3g....you name it I've tried it. I found this site hunting for an answer on Google. A guy had the same problem here but said he was able to stop his using the download manager - not so for me; unless there is another way via download manager than tapping forcestop.

Has anyone got an idea of how I can stop it? It's sucking up my battery. I am able to download other items OK. I'm at my wits end!

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

You could try to delete the mail, on email's Inbox and Trash folder.
    And delete the email account and set up it again.

Harry
    rockmist likes this.
  3. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Another thing you could do is force stopping the email app through settings>apps>all apps

DS
    rockmist likes this.
  4. rockmist

rockmist Member

Thanks to both of you for quickly responding! Sorry it took me so long to come back - I'm doing some volunteer work for The Forward Climate Rally in D.C. on Feb 17 so was pretty tied up.

I tried all of your ideas except changing my email addy. I've had it for as long as I've had email and don't want to loose it. If I try to close it and reopen under the same one I'm told it's in use.

I was able to get it to stop by going to manager but as soon as it came back, yep, it continued trying to dnload. SO frustrating esp. since it eats up battery time but guess unless someone has another idea, I'm just going to have to put up with it. If it was my computer I know a place that repairs those problems, but as far as I know, there isn't a place like that for my phone.

THANKS AGAIN!
  5. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Using the same method I mentioned above, you could try clearing cache/data

DS
    rockmist likes this.
  6. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I'd meant deleting the account on the email app on your phone, not that with the email provider :)

And if you haven't deleted the email on your provider's the emails would been downloaded again on your phone after you have re-set up the account on the email app on the phone.

EDIT:
    Occurred to me yet ...
    You should go your email account on PC and delete that email which has that docx attachment ... before you'll act on your phone.

Harry
    rockmist likes this.
  7. rockmist

rockmist Member

Thanks again! I tried clearing the cache but no change.
    Can I clear the data without losing anything....this is a realm I am ignorant about. :)
  8. rockmist

rockmist Member

Thanks again!!

I don't have internet service for my puter but will try this the next time I take it where there is service. :)

I am now having a send problem that I wonder if has to do with the dnload issue. It only happens when I reply to an email that contained an attachment. If it was a computer I would suspect a bug of some sort...do these phones get viruses and phishers, etc?

Thanks!
  9. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I don't think of a virus on Android ... I think it's related to the phone's email app :)

Have you more than one email account on the phone's email app?
    If not, you can clear the app's data ... it'd have the same effect as deleting the email account while running the app: You'd just have to re-open the same email address in the email app.

Your emails are on your email provider's server?
    Then they'd downloaded again.

On my old HTC Desire my email account on the email app was corrupt a few times.
    Deleting and re-opening the email account solved the prob and the emails was downloaded every time.

Harry
  10. rockmist

rockmist Member

Thank you! If you can't tell, I am really ignorant about this stuff. :) So let me see if I understand; I can go to the gmail app and clear the data using the clear data button. Then that should close it? And then what? Do I restart my phone and it will load back up as it was before? Sorry, I'm sure it's less complicated than I'm making it. Those notices that I could ruin the app always scare me LOL!

I have a main account in gmail with a secondary email address on that account. It's the main account that I'm having trouble with.

Thanks soooo much for your help and patience!

PK
  11. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Aah, Google email, now I see why you are careful, PK ... I would also :)
    In my posts I meant the stock email app, sorry.

Maybe you'd try first this log in on your Google email via PC and clearing this email in question.

Good luck,

Harry
    rockmist likes this.
  12. rockmist

rockmist Member

Much later, but thought I would share this. It STOPPED!! I had the opportunity to use wifi (just a couple days ago) on my phone and that did it! Don't know how, but it just disappeared once I hooked up the wifi....Yay!!!

Thanks to you for helping me! Just wanted to let you know, it's gone and how. :)
    Harry2 likes this.