• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Working hotspot?

Upvote 0
Yeah, in the drop down it doesn't allow compatibility with my Volt. I contacted the developer and he said Sprint made him take it down from the store for Sprint/VM users. Are you saying you can download it from the play store to your Volt? If so, VM must have done something to my phone as I just switched an old number over to my volt. Root checker says I still have root so... ?
I sure can. Your issue is that Sprint made him make it unavailable for Sprint and VM phones. They didn't do anything to your phone and not having root wouldn't prevent you from downloading it. You'll have to find a way to sideload it, or find another app that will work.

Reactions: echobox1
Upvote 0
I sure can. Your issue is that Sprint made him make it unavailable for Sprint and VM phones. They didn't do anything to your phone and not having root wouldn't prevent you from downloading it. You'll have to find a way to sideload it, or find another app that will work.

Shouldn't you not be able to download it either if it's not available for Sprint/VM?

When I asked the developer if I could buy the apk from him directly he replied:"
no, I'm sorry
app is protected by Google Play License
and Sprint can block your SIM Card"

Anyway, thanks for the answer. I see someone posted a link to the apk earlier in this thread so I guess I'll try that and "buy" it from the app store if it works. I used to have no problem with Barnacle on the Volt but since I switched my old number over the other day, no dice. Kept getting error "nat: restart: operation not permitted" That's why it made me suspect whatever reset they did at Virgin did something to my phone.

Upvote 0
I have a Volt on Sprint Prepaid. I was surprised to find that wifi hotspot is available in the system settings, and works fine without any 3rd party software. Apparently it is automatically enabled on Sprint Prepaid phones, so this is a benefit of using Sprint Prepaid instead of Boost/VM. Here is the info straight from the Sprint Prepaid website:

----------------------

How do I get Hotspot functionality?
Hotspot is automatically included as part of your monthly plan and available only for hotspot-enabled devices. Remember that using hotspot will count toward your plan's monthly data allotment. Portable Wi-Fi® hotspot feature allows you to share your mobile device's data connection with other devices by turning your device into a wireless access point. You can connect up to five wireless devices via Wi-Fi.

Is there an added cost for Hotspot?
There is no additional cost for hotspot service. Remember that using hotspot will count toward your plan's data allotment.

What devices is Hotspot available on?
Currently, mobile hotspot is available on all SPP devices except for: Alcatel Retro, Kyocera Kona, Samsung Galaxy® S5 and LG G3 Spark. Check with your retailer or here for an updated list.

Upvote 0
I have a Volt on Sprint Prepaid. I was surprised to find that wifi hotspot is available in the system settings, and works fine without any 3rd party software. Apparently it is automatically enabled on Sprint Prepaid phones, so this is a benefit of using Sprint Prepaid instead of Boost/VM. Here is the info straight from the Sprint Prepaid website:

----------------------

How do I get Hotspot functionality?
Hotspot is automatically included as part of your monthly plan and available only for hotspot-enabled devices. Remember that using hotspot will count toward your plan's monthly data allotment. Portable Wi-Fi® hotspot feature allows you to share your mobile device's data connection with other devices by turning your device into a wireless access point. You can connect up to five wireless devices via Wi-Fi.

Is there an added cost for Hotspot?
There is no additional cost for hotspot service. Remember that using hotspot will count toward your plan's data allotment.

What devices is Hotspot available on?
Currently, mobile hotspot is available on all SPP devices except for: Alcatel Retro, Kyocera Kona, Samsung Galaxy® S5 and LG G3 Spark. Check with your retailer or here for an updated list.

Really, I have sprint prepaid as well and it's no where to be found on the phone.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Has anyone used the apk that's linked here for wifi tether router 6.0? I scanned it and I get a warning about a virus, but I don't know if it's a false positive. Thanks!
Wi-Fi tether router is not a virus. It likely got flagged due to whatever method it uses to provide the hotspot. However, it is not a free app and shouldn't be linked here. It needs to be removed. The method described in this post works perfectly and is faster to enable and disable than tether router.
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6927507

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, just tried it and it took a couple restarts for some reason, but Wifi Tether Router worked for me. Thanks!
BTW, just in case anyone else it trying to get tethering working, I have an LG Volt running android 4.4.2 on Freedompop (Sprint MVNO). Not sure what it is but build is v5.
Again, thanks everyone on this forum for the help!

Upvote 0
Ok, just tried it and it took a couple restarts for some reason, but Wifi Tether Router worked for me. Thanks!
BTW, just in case anyone else it trying to get tethering working, I have an LG Volt running android 4.4.2 on Freedompop (Sprint MVNO). Not sure what it is but build is v5.
Again, thanks everyone on this forum for the help!
If you're going to use it, please go buy it from the store nice and proper like. If you don't have the money, you can use the method I posted (which is better), or get the Google Opinion Rewards app and take some surveys to get store credit to pay for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones