• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Worth It To Root? (Stupid Question Maybe?)

WARNING: Total Rooting Noob Ahead.

So I got an HTC Evo V 4G a couple months ago, and after getting the system update for the sms interference error (thanks to some help from this forum) I have loved pratically everything about this phone. I downloaded Nova launcher this past weekend, and after playing around with the customizable stuff on there, I am beginning to really think about rooting the phone (if for nothing else than to get rid of all the apps like Facebook, Twitter etc... that I don't use).

I read through the stickied noob guide to rooting the Evo V 4G and it seems like something I could do if I had a few hours to devote to it, but I have a few questions....

1. Is it worth it to root the phone if I am mostly happy with it as is?
  2. If I somehow screw it up, is there a way to undo it completely go back to stock? Or make a back-up of my phone as it is now? (Titanium Backup seemed like a possible method, but it looks like you have to be rooted to use).
  3. I am not technologically illiterate, the noob-guide made it seem like I can root the phone, but how likely is it that I brick my phone?
  4. Is there any particular ROM that y'all would suggest for a Rooting Noob?
  5. (A relatively minor question) I hate the stock lock screen, is this something I can do away with if I root the phone?
I might come up with a few more questions, but that covers my basic hesitations and concerns (tho I can do what I need to on a computer, I am a little intimidated by this whole "rooting" thing)...

Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

1. Is it worth it to root the phone if I am mostly happy with it as is?
  2. If I somehow screw it up, is there a way to undo it completely go back to stock? Or make a back-up of my phone as it is now? (Titanium Backup seemed like a possible method, but it looks like you have to be rooted to use).
  3. I am not technologically illiterate, the noob-guide made it seem like I can root the phone, but how likely is it that I brick my phone?
  4. Is there any particular ROM that y'all would suggest for a Rooting Noob?
  5. (A relatively minor question) I hate the stock lock screen, is this something I can do away with if I root the phone?

1. Yes, you'll unlock a lot of great features -- the best one in my opinion is the backups

2. Yes, you can reverse and go back to stock if you want. The best thing might be to back up all the files you want to keep onto your SD Card or computer, then restore them afterwards. rooting and using Titanium Backup/nandroid will make this a breeze in the future. If nothing all that important is on the phone (pictures, music etc are on the sd card already), you'll basically just need to reinstall apps.

3. Incredibly unlikely if you follow the directions.

4. Harmonia ROM to start with, it's great.

5. Yes.

I recently wrote a thread which will help you with a lot of the terminology before you root, and will answer some of your questions as well. http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...need-help-root-s-off-radios-roms-come-in.html

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Welcome to the ALL THINGS ROOT section...
As you may have noticed, we are biased toward rooting...
but seriously... root away... customization is limitless with root permissions...

some of the roms include amazing things like:
-wifi tether
-beats audio
-better camera quality
-speedier data service
-a buttery smooth ui
-Google now
-and much, much, much, much, much, much, much more...

each rom is diff and the only way to know which one is the best is to try all of them... some people like htc sense... i dont... some people like pure google android (aosp)... i do :)... some people like extreme customization (aokp)... its all depends on who you are and what you like... try them all...

as for a diff lock screen, this can be done without rooting... this can be done by downloading an app from the play store called 'go locker'...

if you have any trouble during the root process... there are tons of active and experienced users who are willing to help you with anything... just remember... we were all noobs once... we all started from scratch...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones