• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would like a simple UTC time app (GMT, zulu)

When I do celestial navigation, I need a clock set to coordinated universal time (UTC, formerly known as GMT and often called zulu time) and a way to just press a button to save the time at that instant for later use in sight reduction. A "save buffer" that holds about a dozen values would work fine, especially if you could add a text note to correlate the time with a particular sextant sight (e.g., moon upper limb 28deg 15.7min).

None of the multi-zone clock apps seem to have UTC as a choice, and the paid apps that do have UTC have a bunch of other stuff going on. None have a simple save feature.

I'm only interested in paid apps, BTW, and it would have to work offline because celestial navigation is done at sea. Oh, and it should have an easy way to set/update the time. It's easy to get an audio "time tick" from a shortwave radio anywhere in the world so you can manually reset a clock if the time is off.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones