• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you recommend a Captivate to a friend?

Would you encourage a friend to buy a Captivate?

• Yes

Votes: 98 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 26.1%
  • Depends... (clarify)

Votes: 18 11.5%

• Total voters
i have converted a couple of iphone users to captivate. I came from iPhone. I recall my first iPhone 2g, it was just as buggy, if not more then the captivate. Now, I WONT recommend this phone to my grandma, but for the average user, they can navigate and use the stock captivate system just fine. Most of us here on the boards take the phone to the next step and beyond.

Upvote 0
I showed it off to my two friends at lunch yesterday, they both have iPhones one an iPhone 4 and another a 3GS. After showing off a very minimal amount of things android + the phone could do. My friend simply said *excuse the langauge* "Wow, his phone just kicked both of ours in the ass in less than 60 seconds."

So yes, I'd recommend it.

Upvote 0
I've already suggested this phone to a few friends and everyone is quite satisfied.

Sure there is the GPS issue, but I don't buy phones because they have GPS, that's just silly. As an "extra feature" it's OK, but to expect full GPS functionality just like a Garmin hand held for example is crazy. I know I have a Garmin.

This entire "all in one" concept, of having a great camera, video camera, GPS, video player, music player, kitchen sink, etc has gone a bit too far in my opinion. Yet that aside, it's also important to note that I have a Droid X , original Droid, Droid 2, iPhone 4, and HTC Desire and none of those are perfect either.

It's technology folks and it's not going to be perfect. I've been doing this too long to mislead myself and expect perfection.

What it _is_ about, is taking personal responsibility to research _first_ then buy the phone what suits your needs the best.

Blaming Samsung for not fixing the GPS on _your_ time line is absurd. Some things take time, and at least Samsung does not have the ultra arrogant attitude of Apple where denying the problem exists, is a way of life.

So I happily suggest this phone to my friends after qualifying them to see if they are a good match for this model. After all that's the beauty of choices, there is something for everyone.

Me? I find the Captivate, especially nice after the update I did a couple of days ago. It's the best Android out of the four activated models I have now.

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0
I've put down yes. I'm stuck with at&t atm (because my family has it), and it's the best driod phone for at&t (I wanted that OS). When friends ask me about the phone, I've talked to them a bit about it and then let them use it for a few hours, so far 3 out of 3 have picked it up and are not disappointed by it. The gps seems fine to me..the lag doesnt seem bad at all (after reading the forum before I bought mine..I thought it was going to be horrible). You can get passed what at&t was trying to lock you out of...

The only thing I really like about the iphone...is the amount of software. Sometimes I see a game/app on the iphone that I would like, and it isn't on the droid yet.

-Eric

Upvote 0
Hi. I am seeing so many posts about the so called GPS issue. I had the same problem when i got the phone new. I found the GPS fix info on this forum & my gps has been exceptional after the fix was in place. I has been extremely accurate, atmost i have seen it only being off by not more than 200 ft.

Coming back to the topic of this thread, I have not really recommended the phone to anyone yet. I dont have to. They try the phone for a few minutes and they are just blown away. These are Iphone users i am speaking about.

Gr8 phone, with some kinks in it armor.:)

Upvote 0
I have had the phone for 5 days and the only problems I have found was when I gave a command that required an uplink and I had no antenna. It seems to work better than my incite so far. I figure 2 more weeks of pushing limits before I decide. I have already recommended this to a few friends who would like the internet, just warned them that it is complicated.

Upvote 0
I showed it off to my two friends at lunch yesterday, they both have iPhones one an iPhone 4 and another a 3GS. After showing off a very minimal amount of things android + the phone could do. My friend simply said *excuse the langauge* "Wow, his phone just kicked both of ours in the ass in less than 60 seconds."

So yes, I'd recommend it.

What pray tell did you show them that had them so blown away?

Upvote 0
Sure there is the GPS issue, but I don't buy phones because they have GPS, that's just silly. As an "extra feature" it's OK, but to expect full GPS functionality just like a Garmin hand held for example is crazy. I know I have a Garmin.

A working smartphone with GPS and a Garmin are essentially the same thing. They are a hardware platform which tells the software where the heck you are.

I don't see any reason why a smartphone can't be equal to if not better than a standalone PND. After all, not many PNDs have unlimited internet access.

Packages like TomTom and Navigon work great on the smartphone platforms. There is absolutely no technical reason why I can't expect great performance.

The camera on the other hand is an area where I can't reasonably expect good performance on par with a dedicated device due to lens/sensor/physics issues.

Upvote 0
I would recommend Android phones to a friend but not any of the Galaxy S line or any made by Samsung for that matter. The back and forth we've all dealt with these past couple of months I would not want someone else going through the same. Phones aren't cheap and neither is breaking a contract if it turns into a lemon.

If the phone turns into a lemon, they are automatically obligated to let you out of your contract. :)

Upvote 0
It's been quite awhile now since I bought my first Captivate. I've enjoyed it so much I bought a second one just to use as a fun phone to do some mods on, and to experiment with.

Since I have several other fun Android phones, I lent my Captivate to my brother since he was getting tired of his iPhone. He liked the Samsung so much he bought one to replace his iPhone 4 which would not hold calls or provide reliable signal reception.

Now long story short, we have six in our immediate family, and at work I've got 12 employees with them.

There's not one unhappy user amongst us. That's saying a lot too... considering many of us are smartphone enthusiasts and have iPhone 4's and other Android models.

The true joy of the Captivate is it's nice slim and flat shape, a smooth, colorful and expansive 4.0" display without mechanical buttons, and great battery life.

All in all, it's _the _best_ of all the new smartphones I currently have activated.

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0
I only say yes because I can help them overcome most out-of-the-box issues- they would be forewarned not to expect the GPS to work.

The real question is- "would your friend(s) still buy one after you explain the setbacks, and what needs to be done to overcome them, and still live w/o GPS (cuz there is no fix for that)?"

Most people expect things to function properly out of the box. Try buying a car that is awesome in almost every way, but the HVAC doesn't work from day one, and after a few lame attempts by the dealer to fix them, they just freeze you out and say "it was fixed last time we worked on (updated) it". JH7 anyone?

The Captivate is my first smart phone (that is "smarter" than Symbian anyway) and I was surprised at how much tweaking I had to do to try to get it to work as advertised. Some things still don't work no matter how much you tweak- GPS I'm staring at you.

Upvote 0
Former Captivate owner

If a friend or family member was locked into At&t, i'd recommend the phone...
Even if it was a bit crappy at times...Even though I like the Xperia more, overall i guess the Captivate has a more complete package even though it is now one generation behind in OS( vs. the 1.5 on the Xperia)

Actually, now that I think about it...i'd probably recommend the Samsung Focus

If they had a choice of carriers, I'd tell them to stay away from the galaxy s devices
On Verizon-I'd recommend a Droid X or Droid 2
Sprint-HTC EVO
Tmobile-A mytouch 4g or G2...Probably mytouch and definitely recommend an HD7

Upvote 0
Yes, but it depends who I'm talking to. Someone I think is capable of playing around enough to get all the settings to their liking, someone able to navigate a phone that maybe isn't as simple as an iPhone? Yes. My Captivate has (seemingly) no GPS issue, minor problems (like no updates from AT&T, recognized/fixed in the first week with a hard reset) are typical of any phone to me.

On the other hand, my moms friend who barely navigates an iPhone but wants a change? No. I'd maybe suggest Samsung Focus (I was really loving the similar specs plus better camera, but I wasn't keen on a first gen OS, and the look/feel of the two home screens didn't draw me in one bit). The OS seems more user friendly to that kind of person, and I wouldn't recommend the Captivate more because it's an Android phone than any phone issues.

I'm locked into AT&T, and for me Captivate seemed like the best, most current choice for a non iPhone lover. (Along with Focus, I also considered Aria and Torch, both which kinda left me unimpressed next to the bigger, more flashy phones I won't lie. LOL. X10 really was appealing for the camera, but you think we're behind? 1.6? No pinch/multi-touch? It just already felt dated compared to other phones.)

Upvote 0
Y

On the other hand, my moms friend who barely navigates an iPhone but wants a change? No. I'd maybe suggest Samsung Focus (I was really loving the similar specs plus better camera, but I wasn't keen on a first gen OS, and the look/feel of the two home screens didn't draw me in one bit). The OS seems more user friendly to that kind of person, and I wouldn't recommend the Captivate more because it's an Android phone than any phone issues.
Not to take from the original topic
Honestly, I believe its true weakness(WINDOWS PHONE 7) is lack of app
For a brand new OS that just came out barely a month ago, it launched with a 1000 i believe and is now at 3,000...still measly compared to Android and IOS

Once it gets cut and paste and multi-tasking(next month/early feb) it will start being a more worthy alternative...not saying it's not worthy now(though some will disagree)

The tiles homescreen thing takes getting used too. i am used to swiping to various home screens to find something, now its just up and down but it's less busy and visually appealing

I would say if they love the look of the galaxy S...just get the focus...They are virtually the same phone with minor variations and a different OS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones