• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi i have just got a x10i which works ok
it is unlocked and has the O2 uk firmware on it

i was at first unable to access the internet, so i phoned three they guide me through the process of setting it up......this failed and it still didnt work!

i then found the internet set up tool on the sony site which didnt have the correct one for the three network .

So used the X10 mini settings which worked

i now have internet .....however i can only connect through edge

so i ask :

1. does any one have this phone on three UK
  2. if so what are your settings
  3. any idea why i would only get edge i checked the box it is an X10i?
  4. Is it worth risking genric firmware?
  5. If so which one is the newest uk one?
  6. And where is a good simple guide to set up

I hope that someone can help its a kick in the teeth when you buy something this expensive????

Were you able to get 3G before on Three where you are? I've experienced network problems but, I've also changed to a different network so it's hard for me to tell but, at home I used to get 3G on O2 but can't on Vodafone, yet my partner's mums house which is quite out the way, couldn't get 3G before and can't even get Virgin Media there (and highest broadband speed possible is 1.5mb) but, i can get a perfect 3G signal there :S. I don't think the 3G/Edge will be to do with the settings but, rather the signal strength.

I also tried my O2 sim in it and didn't always get 3G on it at home like I did on my iPhone but, on occasion I could.

Reactions: davegreatorex
Upvote 0
thank you to both of you for replying

Reply to Bexy, def not the signal as i have an old c902 which is really bad on signal which picks up really bad signal... placed side by side it has 4, 3g bars
to double check this my gf has a horse in a feild next to a 3g phone mast ....which i have used many phones there before all on 3g and as you can imagine with fulll signal...... yet it still just get edge

reply to powerkiter, thanks for the advice but tried that , the option is blanked out on mine ... so manual entry only......are you on three...if so there could be hope for me yet.....also just wondered what advantages will you gain from rooting ...i understand what it is but just wonder how people are using this? :)

Upvote 0
Not much to it just allows you to add some apps and remove stuff that the phone wont let you. I done it today after being very concerned about doing it but it was a breeze to do following this guide:

[GUIDE] Root your X10 ! {Update 01.07.2010 R2BA023 ROOT} - xda-developers

Plus it will give you the latest build number just follow the 3 steps they give and watch the "how to" video and play and pause it as needed and its straight forward.

Upvote 0
I have had R2BA023 for the last 5 hours since I rooted and the way I got 3g to work was how I described above to you.

Yes it's still ver1.6

and yes to your first question plus my battery does seem to be lasting longer but I'm going to leave it with all data on and screen set to never sleep if it's still going when I wake up I know it's improved the battery :)

Upvote 0
anyone know how to get auto internet settings enabled????? also dispite me rooting it and getting the latest genric firmware i still found abit of o2 stuff and it is blanked out

also inorder to get edge to work i have enable data roaming and when i disable it says that i have left my network without roaming enabled so it cuts the edge connection :(

also my signal bar allways has an "r" in it

also i have just found out that the o2 firmware blocks auto internet settings out

my thoughts are that the person who unlocked the phone.... he keptthe o2 firmware ...i found a app in the manage apps screen called sim tool kit does anyone else have this?

Upvote 0
anyone know how to get auto internet settings enabled????? also dispite me rooting it and getting the latest genric firmware i still found abit of o2 stuff and it is blanked out

also inorder to get edge to work i have enable data roaming and when i disable it says that i have left my network without roaming enabled so it cuts the edge connection :(

also my signal bar allways has an "r" in it

also i have just found out that the o2 firmware blocks auto internet settings out

my thoughts are that the person who unlocked the phone.... he keptthe o2 firmware ...i found a app in the manage apps screen called sim tool kit does anyone else have this?
I think u need to leave the roaming setting on to access the internet - it's mainly useful for when you don't want to connect to the internet via your data package (either because you're at the cap limit, or abroad). Was the case with the iPhone anyway and nothing seems to load with it disabled for me anyway.

Yeah I have Sim Tool Kit. With my O2 sim in, it gives me options for O2 and when I put the Voda sim in, it changes to Vodafone services.
With your Three sim in, does it list O2 services or Three? Have you got a sim on a diff network to try, like Vodafone, to see if it shows the Voda services like My Vodafone+, Sport+ etc?

Upvote 0
Right ok guys when i rooted and flashed it....it still didnt work i tried to uninstall some of the o2 stuff on it wouldnt go... so i have factory reset the hand set which has removed the apps that were put on by rooting bust still the o2 crap remains ...it appears that allthough i have the lastest generic firmware it just upgraded the pre and left the o2 crap on along with the the auto internet settings disabled.......but i went on the sony site and sent the config once again and after the reset i now get 3g!!!!

so thank you everyone dont know why it is working but it is so thanks to all!!

i just have a weird setup now lol i have a bit of the o2 custom stuff on and as well i dont know where i stand with the rooting on it as the apps did get removed and i dare not reroot incase i loose 3g...

do you guys think there is a way to put the apps back on that were there as a result of rooting without rerunning the tutorial.

think i will just try running step 3 of it anyone got any thoughts :)))

anyway thank you all

Upvote 0
HI guys i have my x10 running sweet now :)

I have created an app that uses the adp command to install apk android apps
i have found it very usefull and thought i would try and give something back to the people who have helped me in the forums!

Simply drang n drop onto the andriod and the apk files will install on your device it supports multiple drop as well!
i would like feedback ? and if you find it usefull you can donate to the email address via paypal..

here is the link:
DroiDrop.exe

it is a .net app to run on windows so if it doesnt run check you have latest framework!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones