• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xoom sales are doing well.

While that might be true, Motorola could flop with ALL of their phones, and still have plenty of money to play around with from their business-band and public safety radio line.

They can afford to have a "loss leader", to get the first access to Honeycomb. Most other vendors can't afford that, because the rest of their business unit markets are very volatile.

People will always order their P25 Trunking radios from Moto, and they will pretty much always get their other communications equipment out the door.

This past January, Motorola split into 2 different companys MMI (Motorola Mobility) and MSI (Motorola Solutions).

MMI only does the mobile smartphone stuff. All the legacy stuff you mentioned are MSI.
The public radios and stuff you mention belong to MSI and not MMI.

MMI is on its own now. MMI is who is responsible for the Motorola XOOM and Atrix devices.

If you read the finance news sites, many analysts and hedge funds are downgrading MMI's outlook.

The downgrades are based on the low disappointing sales. It is of concern an alarm if the company won't be around for the next 2 years.
Stock is getting shorted left and right.

Upvote 0
This past January, Motorola split into 2 different companys MMI (Motorola Mobility) and MSI (Motorola Solutions).

MMI only does the mobile smartphone stuff. All the legacy stuff you mentioned are MSI.
The public radios and stuff you mention belong to MSI and not MMI.

MMI is on its own now. MMI is who is responsible for the Motorola XOOM and Atrix devices.

If you read the finance news sites, many analysts and hedge funds are downgrading MMI's outlook.

The downgrades are based on the low disappointing sales. It is of concern an alarm if the company won't be around for the next 2 years.

Incorrect. Motorola Mobility is producing more than just sell phones. Motorola Mobility will also keep producing the set top boxes and home dvrs.

Upvote 0
Xoom proves it can hold its own: sells 100,000 copies already :)

Not bad so far!

Motorola Xoom: 100,000 Sold So Far

For a company that hyped the Xoom as the official iPad killer and as the only tablet to have 3.0, I'm sure they thought they would sell more than 100,000 units in 6 weeks.

Apparently, the iPad2 is selling 100,000 units daily! I just can't see Motorola being happy with this. And with Samsung set to release the 8.9 and 10.1 shortly (and in the same slim form factor as the iPad2), I just don't see the Xoom being on anyone's wishlist in the near future, which will kill this tablet off completely.

So will Google continue with OTA updates for this device, if the Xoom gets killed off?

Upvote 0
Rushing to get an tablet out first is pretty meaningless unless it is a decent product at a competitive price. Hardly anyone knows about the junky Android phones that came before the Motorola Droid because that was the first Android phone that sold on a competitive level. Motorola just boned this one.

2011-03-16_tablet_prices_3_.jpg

Here's the financial news people were talking about-

http://blogs.forbes.com/ericsavitz/...lity-xoom-atrix-both-duds-pacific-crest-says/

Faucette says channel checks find that sell-through trends for both the Xoom tablet and the Atrix smart phone – that’s the one that you can plug into a laptop-like companion device to take the place of a more conventional notebook PC – “have been disappointing.” He says the Atrix in particular has been hurt by competition from the $49 price points for the Apple 3GS and the HTC Inspire, keeping sales “well below forecast.”

The Pacific Crest analyst chops his 2011 revenue forecast for the company to $12.2 billion from $13.7 billion, cutting his profit projection to 64 cents, from 94 cents. For 2012, he goes to $13.6 billion and $1.10, from $15.3 billion, and $1.73. and he warns that there could be further downside risk to both 2011 and 2012 estimates unless the company can “quickly adjust and refresh its product portfolio” for the 2011 second half and beyond.

Upvote 0
For a company that hyped the Xoom as the official iPad killer and as the only tablet to have 3.0, I'm sure they thought they would sell more than 100,000 units in 6 weeks.

Apparently, the iPad2 is selling 100,000 units daily! I just can't see Motorola being happy with this. And with Samsung set to release the 8.9 and 10.1 shortly (and in the same slim form factor as the iPad2), I just don't see the Xoom being on anyone's wishlist in the near future, which will kill this tablet off completely.

So will Google continue with OTA updates for this device, if the Xoom gets killed off?[/QUOTE

This is my fear as well. Personally I feel the Xoom IS DOA. I just don't see Moto or Google really caring for this device much longer. They really screwed this up. I am going to take mine back and get the Asus Transformer ( I don't want the Samsung as it's skinned with horrible Touchwiz). I may wait for the HTC Flyer as I like Sense.

I think the writing is on the wall for the Xoom and it's not good. What a horrible price point to launch with and just 1 sku to boot.

Upvote 0
The article mentions the number was gotten from the number of 3.0 devices out there. I wonder how many of them were really hacked nook color instead of xooms.

Best that I can figure these numbers, and the ballpark estimates that came out of Deutsche Bank, were based, in part, on numbers provided by Google itself. These numbers were calculated based on accesses to the Android Market within a two week period of time right around April 1st...

Platform Versions | Android Developers

Did every XOOM owner access the Google market in that two week time? What about the Amazon App store which opened in mid-March and was/is giving away free apps daily?

Cisco and Micro$oft both have seen their stock values stagnate the past few years. Neither is a bad company but both are suffering just like most other big businesses. MMI only has around 6 months of history in the market. At their best (in Jan) their stock got to around 38. Now it's sitting at 24. Yes it's gone down but so has most other tech stocks... the exception, of course, being Apple. In a struggling economy, stock's aren't always the best indicator of the health of a company.

Upvote 0
This is my fear as well. Personally I feel the Xoom IS DOA. I just don't see Moto or Google really caring for this device much longer. They really screwed this up. I am going to take mine back and get the Asus Transformer ( I don't want the Samsung as it's skinned with horrible Touchwiz). I may wait for the HTC Flyer as I like Sense.

I think the writing is on the wall for the Xoom and it's not good. What a horrible price point to launch with and just 1 sku to boot.

I called it a couple of weeks ago and people jumped down my throat. The Xoom is a failure. Motorola overestimated their position, and had way too much confidence in Verizon.

The tablet market is only going to get more competitive as well. Unless the Xoom suddenly sees a dramatic price drop to excite the market, it will be dead by June when newer, sexier, cheaper android tablets start rolling out.

I'm waiting for the Evo View/HTC Flyer personally.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting for the Evo View/HTC Flyer personally.

I definitely want to see one in the flesh, but the more I handle tablets the more I'm leaning towards the Flyer because of the size. If they actually say that the Flyer will be upgraded to 3.0 I'll probably buy it right out of the gate. If they don't I'll wait until the summer and pick up one of the new ones with 3.0. The Samsung 8.9 might be wonderful, but everyone seems to be worried that Samsung doesn't support their products long term.

The market isn't going to do anything until we have some more 3.0 tablets out there. Right now all the potential tablet owners, who are dead set against buying an iPad are just waiting. The Xoom is too expensive to buy when everyone is sure that something better is right around the corner. In the 90's people would research forever to buy a new computer because next month something much better would come out. Now the best computer for most people is the one that's on sale (unless they need a specific gaming rig, or CAD station).

I think that we'll get to the point rather quickly where people will be able to classify what size, weight, battery and UI they want and the filter will show them which two tablets fit their needs.

Upvote 0
It's not posturing, so much as rushing to get a toe into the market first. They are the first ones with a Honeycomb tablet. They know what the price is for production, what they can trim, what is a requirement, and where the price per unit sits on the demand curve.

No other OEM has that information yet. No other OEM has that kind of lead time.

Basically, this is it. I'm sure if we compare the Moto Xoom to the 64 GB iPad 2 w/3G, numbers would be pretty close, I'd presume.

Even with the iPad, people are not buying the top-end models as quickly as the 16 GB wifi only.

I was referring to the low sales numbers that apparently are correct. A few weeks ago, Moto denied this and said they planned on making 200K per month. This now obviously seems like posturing, in this regard. No way they will produce this many if sell through is 100K. That would mean a channel load (sell in) of about 500K units excess. No way.

Upvote 0
Very true with regards to Samsung updates. For the Tab 2.2 isn't bad, except for the Google Video Talk issue. It doesn't look like there is much of a custom ROM group for the Tab anyway so the chances of a 3.0 port are limited.

If it was sub $250 I'd buy one just to use for now and ditch it later or give it to my daughter. For $350 it jumps above my "impulse buy" line. However if they have a fire sale in a few weeks I might pick on up just 'cus. The size is nice for just doing some quick searches when I don't want to get the laptop, and the phone is too small. Books would be fine as well.

I'm still refining my needs. After holding the Xoom and the Tab, I think the 8.9 (still Samsung) may be the "right" size for me. The HUGE plus for the Xoom however is that it's Pure Google so like my N1 it should be supported for a long time.

Sammy is insane if they think a lot of folks will pay $350 for a 7" tab, 2.2, and older chipset- not to mention their PROVEN sucky firmware support. Consumers are becoming more wise to specs and support.

Upvote 0
Best that I can figure these numbers, and the ballpark estimates that came out of Deutsche Bank, were based, in part, on numbers provided by Google itself. These numbers were calculated based on accesses to the Android Market within a two week period of time right around April 1st...

Platform Versions | Android Developers

Did every XOOM owner access the Google market in that two week time? What about the Amazon App store which opened in mid-March and was/is giving away free apps daily?

Cisco and Micro$oft both have seen their stock values stagnate the past few years. Neither is a bad company but both are suffering just like most other big businesses. MMI only has around 6 months of history in the market. At their best (in Jan) their stock got to around 38. Now it's sitting at 24. Yes it's gone down but so has most other tech stocks... the exception, of course, being Apple. In a struggling economy, stock's aren't always the best indicator of the health of a company.

HUGE differences there. Cisco and MS are VERY diverse in their portfolios. Motorola is not very diverse at all. The antithesis in fact.

Moto spirals down, they have nothing internal to save them.

Upvote 0

So will Google continue with OTA updates for this device, if the Xoom gets killed off?

Per sales analysts, the higher feature models are about 20% of sales for Apple (for both iPad and iPod). Quick math suggests the upper end devices of the iPad2 sold already, far more then the Xoom.

Upvote 0
HUGE differences there. Cisco and MS are VERY diverse in their portfolios. Motorola is not very diverse at all. The antithesis in fact.

Moto spirals down, they have nothing internal to save them.

Corporate stock isn't typically valued by it's portfolio. It's valued by the companies investors. If investors lose confidence, stocks get sold and stock prices take a hit. The most diverse company in the world can quickly find themselves with penny stock if their investors have no faith in them or the products they sell.

MMI has a successful radio business. They've also designed and sold some awesome smartphones. While the launch of the Xoom may not have been optimal in our eyes the writing is not yet on the walls for them. And beyond this... if MMI's future was in serious doubt I doubt they'd have recently announced their intent to purchase a Swedish IPTV firm...

Motorola Mobility Announces Intent to Acquire Dreampark - Yahoo! Finance

As Baseball great, Yogi Berra, once said: "It ain't over till it's over"...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones